Got one of 'THOSE' questions??

*Mach*

On one of our last cruises, I forgot to pack my power strip. I went to guest services to see if they had any "extension cords". They gave me a big orange extension cord like you use outside at home (no surge protector) and charged me a $25 refundable fee.

I have a small plug in surge protector for my laptop that is made by Belkin for travel. The problem is that it doesn't fit in the plug in the cabin. The casing is too long and hits the desk top...............so its back to the power strip.

We cruise again this coming Saturday so we'll see what happens.

It appears to be a Galveston issue. I haven't heard about it being a problem anywhere else...

:confused:

OH, OH! I figured it out Mach - and I'll save John from having to answer.

The Carnival Magic will have multiple plugs in the room so there will be no need to surge protectors and their added risk, albeit pretty small. Since the Carnival Magic is coming to Galveston Carnival is trying to prepare us in advance for not needing surge protectors. It's their little way of giving away the new home port! :D

John Heald just posted this on his blog:

Just one quick follow up on the prohibited items subject. My good friend Host Mach from Cruise Critic visited me onboard on Sunday and was asking about electrical items and I thought this is something that would be beneficial for everyone to know.

While individual Eye Pod chargers etc are allowed onboard (suggest you put them in your carry on) a power strip is considered a household item and would be confiscated mainly because it could overload the electrical capacity of an outlet. Fans are also considered household items and so I ask you all to please kindly remember that no electrical appliances are permitted.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2010/04/26/john-stop-crying-you-big-girl/

So, lots of folks were right. They're lumping these items in under the catchall of 'household items.'

:rolleyes:

Just one quick follow up on the prohibited items subject. My good friend Host Mach from Cruise Critic visited me onboard on Sunday and was asking about electrical items and I thought this is something that would be beneficial for everyone to know.

So, lots of folks were right. They're lumping these items in under the catchall of 'household items.'

There's my confirmation. You must be a bearded one. How else could you explain your knowledge and 'pull' within CCL? Heck - they even let you on board just to hang out.

There's my confirmation. You must be a bearded one. How else could you explain your knowledge and 'pull' within CCL? Heck - they even let you on board just to hang out.

Not much pull and no beard but I DO have a mustache... does that help???

Really, lots of folks visit ships... wedding guests... travel agents, etc. Two weeks ago there were 245 travel agents on the Conquest. They had the entire aft dining room, the Monet, to themselves!!

:)

While individual Eye Pod chargers etc are allowed onboard (suggest you put them in your carry on) a power strip is considered a household item and would be confiscated mainly because it could overload the electrical capacity of an outlet. Fans are also considered household items and so I ask you all to please kindly remember that no electrical appliances are permitted.

Thanks Mach for going to bat for us again! And thank John for us for his clarification on the matter. I got two of those three-outlet "thingies"--hopefully we will have two plugs in the cabin. I have heard that there is an outlet behind the bed in the suites on the Ecstasy, as well as the one at the desk.

Thanks Mach for going to bat for us again! And thank John for us for his clarification on the matter. I got two of those three-outlet "thingies"--hopefully we will have two plugs in the cabin. I have heard that there is an outlet behind the bed in the suites on the Ecstasy, as well as the one at the desk.

We also unplug the TV since we don't usually watch it and use the outlets for the TV

That is case... this is the one at the desk...

IMG_0547.jpg

Ooooooo-kay, so if I have a battery operated fan, is that still a "Household" item. or can I bring it....

Ooooooo-kay, so if I have a battery operated fan, is that still a "Household" item. or can I bring it....

I expect that would be fine as it's not dependent upon the ship's power... In fact, the staff were giving away small battery powered fans with LEDs that spelled out 'John Heald's Blogger's Cruise'...

I expect that would be fine as it's not dependent upon the ship's power... In fact, the staff were giving away small battery powered fans with LEDs that spelled out 'John Heald's Blogger's Cruise'...

Thanks Mach! It's a 10' fan that takes 8 'D' batteries, but we'll give it a try!

According to my definition these are not household items. When the contract is vague it goes against who wrote the contract. i.e. Carnival.

According to my definition these are not household items. When the contract is vague it goes against who wrote the contract. i.e. Carnival.

They may not meet your definition of 'household items' but they seem to meet Carnival's definition.

As in many things in life location seems be very important. I suspect that such items in a carry on might be overlooked...

Since when is a power strip NOT a household item?

:confused:

You have none in your home? :rolleyes:

Archived