New Pet Peeve - robes in public areas.

FoxyTerrier

HeatherinFlorida beat you to the quote, by the way, and I responded earlier in the thread.

PAY UP...... You owe me $50.00. :)

I'll be happy for a nice bottle of wine.

Do you honor your bets, DizzyDallas? You don't know me well enough to have made such a bet. It was a sure loser......

But you did make the bet so.........

Snippy snippy..This banter is beneath you all... Grow up girls... And please... At the very least - wear your robes!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

HeatherinFlorida beat you to the quote, by the way, and I responded earlier in the thread.

PAY UP...... You owe me $50.00. :)

I'll be happy for a nice bottle of wine.

Do you honor your bets, DizzyDallas? You don't know me well enough to have made such a bet. It was a sure loser......

But you did make the bet so.........

I didn't place my bet with you, I placed it with KK. I don't owe you anything. :D

The prior thread speaks for itself and needs no further comment, but calling KK out for her post (which is a direct quote from that thread) really isn't fair.

The fact is that Sail7Seas said in 2008 her husband had gone to the Neptune in his robe to pick up a quick coffee and she felt it was fine to do that. There's nothing wrong with feeliing like that ... it's a justifiable opinion. And we can change our minds as often as we want, but it's not fair to use words like "read my lips" when we can just as easily read the words.

I think all of this is much ado about nothing.

I couldn't care less what other people wear.

Some things aren't appealling to me. Some things are. Each person is different, and I don't want to make others defer to my idea of "attractive" or, nor do I want to have to defer to anyone else's.

I've never had a suite on HAL, but if I do, I might well run across the hall in my gown to grab a coffee. I'll be sure to wave hello. :-)

I do not wear robes at home, in my cabin or anywhere else, for that matter. I don't care if people wear robes in the NL or anywhere else.

I have absolutely no desire to control what other people wear or allow their choices to matter, to me.

But sail -- you posted this last year on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=684995&highlight=neptune+lounge+robes

It could have been my DH you saw in Neptune Lounge in his robe. Our cabin is almost always right across from Neptune Lounge and sometimes he pops in to pick us up a cup of coffee. I don't imagine he is there more than 2 minutes and he's out the door.

I posted this here on this board in the past and many people said they saw nothing wrong with this.....as long as it's a quick in, get the coffee and gone.

When he returns with my steaming hot coffee and I'm still opening my eyes for the first time that day...... I love it!

I have no dog in this fight, but I took her original statement to be tongue-in-cheek.

THIS regards the Neptune Lounge Only (not Lido or anywhere else)

I have always thought about getting a superior suite for the neptune lounge etc..larger room..however, after reading all these snippets about dress my general impression is this group on a whole maybe snooty and uptight. No, I do not want to see a man's privates when his shorts open up thats not cool....However, I would think the one major advantage of the Neptune Lounge is to be able to "stumble" down and get a cup of coffee yes with a robe on....what is the big deal? and I take offense that you mind that my 60 year body has some gravity issues, what are you looking so closely for in the first place as to how my breasts look? One of the things that amazed me was my first cruise is I saw all body types in bathing suits, It amazed me the fun and ease the folks seemed to be having and yes they had less than perfect bodies.just like me!......The essence of what I read makes me feel you think you are better or at least feel superior than these folks who in your opinion underdress for the Neptune Lounge. I have never seen a Neptune Lounge, but ya all make it sound like the Taj Mahal and it maybe way to "upper crust" for me. I have found that regardless of how one looks or dresses on a cruise they usually have an interesting story to tell me, or something I can learn from them if I give them the opportunity and strike up a conversation...of course like I said I have yet to see or hang out in the Neptune Lounge so their may be exceptions?

I think all of this is much ado about nothing.

I couldn't care less what other people wear.

Some things aren't appealling to me. Some things are. Each person is different, and I don't want to make others defer to my idea of "attractive" or, nor do I want to have to defer to anyone else's.

I've never had a suite on HAL, but if I do, I might well run across the hall in my gown to grab a coffee. I'll be sure to wave hello. :-)

What's that old saying about "small people talk about small things..."

Things haven't been the same since the Clampetts started cruising' date=' for sure.

Makes you wonder just what kind of lives they must live at home.....[/quote']

As I recall, the Clampetts were, by and large, a nice bunch of people who had a whole lot to teach those city slickers by the end of the 30 minutes. :-)

THIS regards the Neptune Lounge Only (not Lido or anywhere else)

I have always thought about getting a superior suite for the neptune lounge etc..larger room..however, after reading all these snippets about dress my general impression is this group on a whole maybe snooty and uptight. No, I do not want to see a man's privates when his shorts open up thats not cool....However, I would think the one major advantage of the Neptune Lounge is to be able to "stumble" down and get a cup of coffee yes with a robe on....what is the big deal? and I take offense that you mind that my 60 year body has some gravity issues, what are you looking so closely for in the first place as to how my breasts look? One of the things that amazed me was my first cruise is I saw all body types in bathing suits, It amazed me the fun and ease the folks seemed to be having and yes they had less than perfect bodies.just like me!......The essence of what I read makes me feel you think you are better or at least feel superior than these folks who in your opinion underdress for the Neptune Lounge. I have never seen a Neptune Lounge, but ya all make it sound like the Taj Mahal and it maybe way to "upper crust" for me. I have found that regardless of how one looks or dresses on a cruise they usually have an interesting story to tell me, or something I can learn from them if I give them the opportunity and strike up a conversation...of course like I said I have yet to see or hang out in the Neptune Lounge so their may be exceptions?

Well, first, a superior suite doesn't qualify for the Neptune Lounge. It's Deluxe and PH. Which is certainly misleading on HAL's part as "superior" implies it's, well, superior to "deluxe." But that's just me.

But secondly, I resent your assessment that I feel in any way superior to anyone simply because the NL really isn't the place to have your "goodies" hanging out while others are trying to enjoy a snack, make dinner reservations, or read a book, whatever. The NL isn't your own private space. Other people are in there. Who probably don't want to see your goodies. I don't care if you have "gravity issues" or not. I just don't see what is so hard about pulling some clothes on to visit an elegant lounge. Not a pool. Not your own living room. An elegant lounge. I also don't like eating in a restaurant where people put their bare feet up on tables. Does that make me highfalutin too?

I have no dog in this fight, but I took her original statement to be tongue-in-cheek.

Uh .... no.:) Definitely not tongue in cheek.

I do not wear robes at home, in my cabin or anywhere else, for that matter. I don't care if people wear robes in the NL or anywhere else.

I have absolutely no desire to control what other people wear or allow their choices to matter, to me.

Truthfully, though I said earlier I wouldn't wear a robe outside my cabin (I think I said that ... don't hold me to it;)), but I'm with you. I really don't care what anyone wears as long as the wear something. If I did I wouldn't cruise anymore because from what I hear all bets are off and you can pretty much wear whatever the heck you want.

It's rumored that a lot of people have a little problem with the definition of "smart casual" and even "formal" so there may even be times that a HAL robe would be preferable to some folk's attire, or lack thereof.:D

Well, first, a superior suite doesn't qualify for the Neptune Lounge. It's Deluxe and PH. Which is certainly misleading on HAL's part as "superior" implies it's, well, superior to "deluxe." But that's just me.

But secondly, I resent your assessment that I feel in any way superior to anyone simply because the NL really isn't the place to have your "goodies" hanging out while others are trying to enjoy a snack, make dinner reservations, or read a book, whatever. The NL isn't your own private space. Other people are in there. Who probably don't want to see your goodies. I don't care if you have "gravity issues" or not. I just don't see what is so hard about pulling some clothes on to visit an elegant lounge. Not a pool. Not your own living room. An elegant lounge. I also don't like eating in a restaurant where people put their bare feet up on tables. Does that make me highfalutin too?

Great post...I agree 100%. To me it's about having respect for yourself and others. This is different...but so many people come to work dressed from what appears they found on the floor from the night before. But getting back to the matter at hand, why is is so hard to put some clothes on? For that matter...why not just show up naked. It appears that a number of people on this thread wouldn't mind because they don't care or notice what others do:D.

Excusez-moi:D:D

A robe doesn't necessarily mean everything is hanging out - frankly, I have never seen anything hanging out or gravity-driven - these are large wraparound garments and I have often seen them in Concierge Lounges.

As long as people look decent and clean, I couldn't really care less what they wear. Only in the evenings do I see cruisers looking elegant, whichever Lounge they are in. Who is to say that tatty shorts and t-shirts are more 'elegant' than a pristine logo robe?

These Lounges are common areas for people from all walks of life, who want to splash out for a suite. They can wear whatever they like, as long as it isn't offensive, IMHO. As I said previously, in Europe in the very best establishments, some guests can be seen at breakfast time in robes.

By the way, this topic comes up regularly - one of my favourites. And yes, I would go to the CL in a swimsuit with a cover-up or robe to have a cup of coffee during the day. Whyever not?

raise_the_anchor.jpg

Couldn't resist this one lol. Sorry if anyone is offended - I am sure it will be removed if you request it.

Great post...I agree 100%. To me it's about having respect for yourself and others. This is different...but so many people come to work dressed from what appears they found on the floor from the night before. But getting back to the matter at hand, why is is so hard to put some clothes on? For that matter...why not just show up naked. It appears that a number of people on this thread wouldn't mind because they don't care or notice what others do:D.

Well, I MIGHT notice that!

Nakedness and differing types of clothing can't really be compared. People in several cultures wear muumuus, which look remarkably like my robe. I mean, can you quantify what it is that you are looking for? A certain amount of fabric? Cut a certain way? Type of fabric?

Quantifying nakedness is a bit easier.

My personal opinion is that it is discourteous to the very kind staff of the Neptune Lounge (and also the Lido staff), let alone to other passengers, to wear a robe, a swimsuit, or any other form of "undress" indoors and I would not do it.

Oh -- I so agree with you!!

HAL really needs to inform the dress codes.

Yes -- I know I shall be flamed for this. (Not the first time on a topic or a thread which I have started.)

Okay -- I went to make dinner and I have me settings set so that one page shows 40 posts.

But I get the jist that I have been flamed.

Just to keep the record straight I noticed on the other thread that was from 2008 DizzyDallasDi also made the same quote as I did -- exactly the same!! and at just about the same time as I posted -- but was not flamed.

WOW!! -- is all I have to say.

I shall not be posting on either of these threads anymore.

I shall

Okay -- I went to make dinner and I have me settings set so that one page shows 40 posts.

Just to keep the record straight I noticed on the other thread that was from 2008 DizzyDallasDi also made the same quote as I did -- exactly the same!! and at just about the same time as I posted -- but was not flamed.

I shall

Hey KK, in case you're still reading (but not posting ;)), if you'll re-read this thread you'll see that Sail demanded I pay her the $50 I bet you and wasn't very nice about it. I think I may have also been called "snippy" by another poster. :eek: Not to worry...we're all recipients of flames sometimes.

I shall

I haven't seen anyone flame you (or anyone else) on this thread.

Disagreement does not equal flaming.

I vehemently disagree with those of you who feel that a robe is not appropriate, but the only person who I have seen writing anything really "flaming" was whoever wrote that thing about the Clampetts (which I hardly count, because it seemed to me that at least half of the show was spent mocking the lesser understand of the more "sophisticated" half of the cast). Otherwise, it seems to me that people have simply provided their opinion.

Archived