Mahogany Beach Roatan Question....

Kramer995

With the $5 you get a wristband that allows you to ride the chair lift back and forth for as long as you wish. But you can simply walk a beautifully landscaped trail to the beach for free. The gorgeous 825-foot white sand beach with palm trees seemed to have a sufficient number of lounge chairs to accommodate passengers. Floats and other water "toys" are available for rent, and there is a beach bar there to purchase food and beverage.

We were there on Friday. The water was not rocky. The sand was clean and smooth. Beautiful place.

Hi.....Loving the information from everyone. Leaving Dec. 12th on the Crown......does anyone know if the water was rocky? What about the sand, clean and smooth or rocky?

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE for your replies!!

I don't know if they offer snorkeling but we had some decent snorkeling from shore. We have our own gear. If you go out near the end of the wooden pier, there is an area with a lot of rocks. There's a lot of fish there. Also, you can see some neat coral and fish in the seagrass area near that area as well.

It sounds beautiful! Do they offer snorkeling?

Mahogany Bay is the man-made beach that is exclusively for Carnival passengers, which is part of the secure Carnival dock area.

Yes, it is free. You can walk there, or pay the $5 to get the ski chairlift to take you there.

It is a nice place with facilities, but nothing like the real thing at West Bay beach.

However, getting to West Bay will cost you more, but I believe it is worth it....but then...I live in West Bay. :)

have a good cruise.

Murray

We were there last week on the Crown Princess. We did the Zip-N-Dip & it was awesome & highly recommended. It's right there so you do not need to book an excursion. The price that they advertise on the signs is $40.00 which they really try to sell to you as soon as you walk up to the shelter building (in the back right-side of all the shops). However, they do have an express for $15.00, which is only 3 lines as opposed to the 11 for 40.00. Make sure you ask for this. This is what we did & it is well worth it!!

• 3 months later...
Mahogany Bay is the man-made beach that is exclusively for Carnival passengers' date=' which is part of the secure Carnival dock area.

Yes, it is free. You can walk there, or pay the $5 to get the ski chairlift to take you there.

It is a nice place with facilities, but nothing like the real thing at West Bay beach.

However, getting to West Bay will cost you more, but I believe it is worth it....but then...I live in West Bay. :)

have a good cruise.

Murray[/quote']

Hi Murray,

Used your services a few years ago when I brought a group of 17 to Roatan aboard the Grand Princess. Will be returning this time on the NCL Epic in October -- I assume every other ship that is not affiliated with Carnival, i.e. Princess, get to dock at Mahogany. Will NCL dock at the other port or do they get to use Mahogany as well? So if we are on NCL, does that mean we cannot go to Mahogany Beach?

Thanks, Linda.

Hi Murray,

Used your services a few years ago when I brought a group of 17 to Roatan aboard the Grand Princess. Will be returning this time on the NCL Epic in October -- I assume every other ship that is not affiliated with Carnival, i.e. Princess, get to dock at Mahogany. Will NCL dock at the other port or do they get to use Mahogany as well? So if we are on NCL, does that mean we cannot go to Mahogany Beach?

Thanks, Linda.

Hi Linda.

Mahogany Bay is host to all Carnival cruise corporations' ships. That entails Carnival, Princess, Costa and Holland America...plus a couple of smaller lines.

All others like Royal Caribbean and NCL, etc., disembark at the Port of Roatan in Coxen Hole, which has also changed dramatically since you were here last.

http://www.portofroatan.com/

At the current time, the Port of Roatan is in an expansion phase, where they are adding more ship and shop capacity, and enough dock capacity to handle the new NCL Epic!.

The beach at Mahogany Bay is exclusively for ships docking there.

No one else is allowed onto the property.

While is does make for a private experience that some may enjoy, those that do use Mahogany Beach cannot really say that they have seen and experienced Roatan. It is like saying we went to Disneyworld, so therefore we saw Orlando, Florida. :)

• 6 months later...

We will be traveling there on the Carnival Valor over Thanksgiving Week...Carnival has it as a beach break excursion for $40.00/person. So if I am reading your post right....my family of 4 can just walk over?? What do they charge for beach chairs?? We are thinking about the Maya key excursion as well.

Thanks!!!:)

We were there in april and the cost for the sky chairs had gone up to $10. We bought ours for $5 through the ship. Not sure if it is still that way. Really liked the beach and the shops. If you are not a serious snorkeler, don't waste the time to get to West End. However, you can't beat the snokeling there. We've been to Tabyana twice and MB once. Going again in 2 weeks.:D

Hi Linda.

Mahogany Bay is host to all Carnival cruise corporations' ships. That entails Carnival' date=' Princess, Costa and Holland America...plus a couple of smaller lines.

All others like Royal Caribbean and NCL, etc., disembark at the Port of Roatan in Coxen Hole, which has also changed dramatically since you were here last.

http://www.portofroatan.com/

[/quote']

I'm confused, though I have attempted to research the subject. I think I'd rather dock in Coxen Hole (Port of Roatan) as there is no major Hill to climb for self-booked tours such as Victor Bodden's and it is also closer to West Bay/End beaches. I found a Ports link that only goes through April 2011, we will be in port the first Thursday of May on NCL Spirit. In April the guide indicated it shares dock space with Carnival Valor in Mahogany Bay the 1st and 3rd Thursday, so I guess May should follow. Just didn't realize NCL was under Carnival banner...

I'm confused, though I have attempted to research the subject. I think I'd rather dock in Coxen Hole (Port of Roatan) as there is no major Hill to climb for self-booked tours such as Victor Bodden's and it is also closer to West Bay/End beaches. I found a Ports link that only goes through April 2011, we will be in port the first Thursday of May on NCL Spirit. In April the guide indicated it shares dock space with Carnival Valor in Mahogany Bay the 1st and 3rd Thursday, so I guess May should follow. Just didn't realize NCL was under Carnival banner...

Could just be a mistake. NCL is not under the Carnival banner. NCL docks at the Port of Coxen Hole. I am on the Epic this Monday and we will be at Coxen Hole. Also have had several friends on the Spirit and they also were at Coxen Hole.

We went to mahogany bay in june and i would not recomend it. there is sea grass in the water if you go past your knees and we saw a 5 foot brown with yellow spotted snake in the water hiding in the grass. Im sire there were more but i didnt stick around to see.

Could just be a mistake. NCL is not under the Carnival banner. NCL docks at the Port of Coxen Hole. I am on the Epic this Monday and we will be at Coxen Hole. Also have had several friends on the Spirit and they also were at Coxen Hole.

Spirit will begin docking at Mahogany Bay later this year (definitely know that it will be docked at MB in December).

Spirit will begin docking at Mahogany Bay later this year (definitely know that it will be docked at MB in December).

Interesting change. Looked at the MB calendar and NCL is definitely docking there, so much for it being only for CCL ships

Archived