Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!

TLCOhio

Thanks. Speaking of Digital Cameras your pics are so beautiful what do you shoot with? Thanks Karen

THANKS, Karen, for the nice comments! As Makis noted, I have a Nikon D50 SLR camera. Not that fancy or that much at the super pro, high end.

Photo secrets? It's a little more than just the "camera". Lots of people have cameras at and near that quality or comparable. These days, the digital technology has improved so much that nearly everyone can take good to great pictures. Here are some of my tips, secrets and suggestions to share. I found taking cruise and travel pictures is fun, plus cheaper than shopping for souvenirs.

1. ZOOM/FRAMING: Fill the frame and make it interesting. Use your feet. Move closer. Zoom in or out. Make it tighter in the picture frame, etc. People don't want to be bored with a key subject or highlight being only in the middle 15% of the picture frame.

2. LENS: Many of the nice pictures in certain famed palaces and churches in Russia, etc., were taken in 2008 with a new 10-20 mm lens that gives a wider angle view than average. That really helped create some picture "drama" without being too wide and distorted as can happen with a fish-eye lens. There are cases where that longer lens (have a 70-300 mm zoom) can really help. In many cases, my basic 18-55 mm zoom covers the basic middle range. It's nice to have one lens that covers all needs, but then you lose some in the desired picture quality.

3. LOTS OF PICTURES: With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure).

4. STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

5. PEOPLE: Having people as a part of the picture gives it context, interest, etc. Lots of "just the place" pictures are nice, but I have found that the ones with some human involvement and/or connection look and work better.

Does this help a little? A warm welcome to Makis in joining these CC Boards. Loved Athens and Greece during our 2006 visit there. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS, Karen, for the nice comments! As Makis noted, I have a Nikon D50 SLR camera. Not that fancy or that much at the super pro, high end.

Photo secrets? It's a little more than just the "camera". Lots of people have cameras at and near that quality or comparable. These days, the digital technology has improved so much that nearly everyone can take good to great pictures. Here are some of my tips, secrets and suggestions to share. I found taking cruise and travel pictures is fun, plus cheaper than shopping for souvenirs.

1. ZOOM/FRAMING: Fill the frame and make it interesting. Use your feet. Move closer. Zoom in or out. Make it tighter in the picture frame, etc. People don't want to be bored with a key subject or highlight being only in the middle 15% of the picture frame.

2. LENS: Many of the nice pictures in certain famed palaces and churches in Russia, etc., were taken in 2008 with a new 10-20 mm lens that gives a wider angle view than average. That really helped create some picture "drama" without being too wide and distorted as can happen with a fish-eye lens. There are cases where that longer lens (have a 70-300 mm zoom) can really help. In many cases, my basic 18-55 mm zoom covers the basic middle range. It's nice to have one lens that covers all needs, but then you lose some in the desired picture quality.

3. LOTS OF PICTURES: With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure).

4. STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

5. PEOPLE: Having people as a part of the picture gives it context, interest, etc. Lots of "just the place" pictures are nice, but I have found that the ones with some human involvement and/or connection look and work better.

Does this help a little? A warm welcome to Makis in joining these CC Boards. Loved Athens and Greece during our 2006 visit there. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Great Hints Terry.

I use an Olympus E510 and my DH an E30 as well I use a Great little point and shoot Canon D10 waterproof camera for the beach and river walking ect. The best pics have one thing in common ... they tell a story.

Karen

Great Hints Terry.

I use an Olympus E510 and my DH an E30 as well I use a Great little point and shoot Canon D10 waterproof camera for the beach and river walking ect. The best pics have one thing in common ... they tell a story. Karen

THANKS, Karen! Agree that "tell a story" is a very vital aspect as per the viewpoint of the late producer and inventor of CBS' 60 Minutes TV news magazine. BUT, even if you tell a story and the pictures are blurry, technically poor, poorly composed, etc., then the audience will not be happy, nor stay involved very long. Great pictures need . . . BOTH . . . to look good AND tell an interesting story. You need both qualities.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 2 years later...

Originally, I had only post twelve pictures on this thread from Athens. That's clearly, totally unfair for the Greek capital and its wonderful history and sights. Had questions from some on others boards.

Below are a few more to share, plus some things nearby that also worth exploring as a day-trip from Athens. This summer season, it seems that things are more back to "normal" after ALL that they have gone through during their recent economic challenges. I have followed those issues closely. It's been tough there. We won't get into politics and those questions, but this is such a great country with its unique history, great art and architecture, wonderful food, etc.

For those who have not yet visited Greece, the good news is that the wonderful Plaka is right handy and next door to the famed Acropolis area. That makes things so much easier. On going up the hill, be careful as the stone steps can be slick in areas. And you will be looking up and forgetting to watch where and how you are stepping. It's well worth the effort getting there to the top. It is amazing history and architecture!! Also, we had a private guide to help us on this spectacular site. It's not cheap, but it was well worth it to know more on what you are seeing and why it is so important.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On top adjoining the Parthenon is Erechtheion, a small temple built between 421 and 405 BC.. All of the female statues that serve as columns in the porch of the Erechtheion are replicas. Five of the originals were removed for display in the Acropolis Museum to protect them from the air pollution of Athens. The sixth was "borrowed" (or looted) by Elgin for display in London. on the north side of the Acropolis of Athens in Greece. Its name is dedicated to the Greek hero Erichthonius, mythological early ruler of ancient Athens who born of the soil or Earth and raised by the goddess Athena.:

TempleOnAcrHill.jpg

From Acropolis Hill, a view towards the old Olympic Stadium in Athens, other Roman ruins. This includes at the bottom, Hadrian's Arch, a monumental gateway resembling a Roman triumphal arch.:

AthOlymStadium.jpg

From the Parthenon, a view of Athens and the Temple of Hephaestus. This is a well-preserved Greek temple that remains standing largely as built. It is a Doric peripteral temple located at the northwest side of the Agora of Athens. It dates back to the seventh century BC, but was finally and officially inaugurated in 416-415 BC. Its design/style inspired the Vermont Statehouse (1857–59) in Montpelier and other buildings.:

AcrHillView3.jpg

From the balcony of the AVA Hotel where we stayed, here are two views you can easily see. To the right, the Acropolis Hill towering over its neighboring Plaka neighborhood and this hotel location. To the left, the Roman ruin called Hadrian's Arch. It is a monumental gateway resembling a Roman triumphal arch. It spanned an ancient road from the center of Athens, to the complex of structures on the eastern side of the city that included the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It has been proposed that the arch was built to celebrate the arrival of Roman Emperor Hadrian to honor his many benefactions to the city and the dedication occasion of a nearby temple complex in 131 or 132 AD It doesn’t get much better for being so close to real history than being here at this hotel location in Athens.:

AthensHotelViewAcropolis.jpg

AthensHotelViewRomRuins.jpg

Nearby to our hotel in the Plaka is this cute shop with a wide variety of statutes and other reproductions reflecting the great Greek artistic traditions. My wife is pictured with the shop owners. They were very helpful and had a wide selection of options. We bought a couple of nice items that are in our home daily as a reminder of our wonderful visit to Greece.:

AthensRelicShopStatutes.jpg

• Like 1

To twist the words of the famed TV cartoon series, "Is that all there is folks?". No! Here's more. So much to see and love in Athens and Greece.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are more samplings from Athens’ very historic National Archaeological Museum featuring the world's largest collection of ancient Greek antiquities. We loved this great range of art and history, as they showed how the evolution from Greek design and craft skill were "borrowed" and shifted to the Roman periods, etc.:

AthMusHorse.jpg

AthMusMarble.jpg

AthMusGold.jpg

AthMusScult.jpg

AthMusStatutes.jpg

AthMusGoldCups.jpg

Just a few more and then we will shift gears, literally, to what we saw in doing a day-trip from Athens to the Peloponnesian Peninsula. Hope these are not too many to help people prepare for visiting Greece and/or relieving the memories from there.

Here are two views of the Tower of the Winds in Athens. First is a night view of it on the left with the Parthenon and its historic hill/walls lighted in the higher background. This octagonal Pentelic marble clock tower is in the Roman agora in Athens. Second, you can see some of the design details at the top. The structure features a combination of sundials, a water clock and a wind vane. According to Wikipedia, it was supposedly built by Andronicus of Cyrrhus around 50 BC, but according to other sources might have been constructed in the 2nd century BC before the rest of the forum. In early Christian times, the building was used as the bell-tower of a Byzantine Church. Under Ottoman rule, it became a tekke and was used by whirling dervishes. The design of the 18th-century Radcliffe Observatory in Oxford, England, is based on this Tower of the Winds:

AthensRomanTowerAcropWallsNight.jpg

AthensRomanTowerTopDesigns.jpg

Examining relics with our guide (very skilled and a former teacher) near the Parthenon:

AropWithGuide.jpg

Here are two more examples from the National Archaeological Museum in Athens:

AthWallSculp.jpg

AthMusMen.jpg

• Like 2

During our three days in Athens before boarding our cruise to the Greek Isles, Turkish Coast and Istanbul, we wanted to sample on one of the days a little of the countrysides of Greece. Here's part one for what was our viewing as we circled the Peloponnesian Peninsula. Lots of great sights, history, etc. We debated whether to head in the direction of Delphi or do this loop around the Peloponnesian Peninsula. Did we choose wisely? Or, do we need Delphi at the top of the must-do list for the next visit to Greece?

Historic Roman ruins are in Ancient Corinth, including these example of the Temple of Apollo and the mountains over this site, etc. This historic area is 48 miles southwest of Athens. It was a city-state on the Isthmus of Corinth that joins the Peloponnesus to mainland Greece, roughly halfway between Athens and Sparta. In classical times, Corinth rivaled Athens and Thebes in wealth, based on the Isthmian traffic and trade. Apostle Paul first visited the city around AD 51-52. He lived here for eighteen months, including writing two of his epistles on the difficulties of maintaining a Christian community in such a cosmopolitan city with so much sin and corruption existing in this city.:

CorinthHills.jpg

CorinthRuins.jpg

Ruins of the Roman baths in Corinth:

CorinthRuins2.jpg

The Corinth Canal is nearby and is a unique engineering job carved through about 260' of rock. The canal is four miles in length, 75' wide and was built between 1881 and 1893:

CorinthCanal.jpg

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire. As a major center of Greek civilization, this military stronghold dominated much of southern Greece. The period of Greek history from about 1600 BC to about 1100 BC is called Mycenaean in reference to Mycenae's power during this "bronze age". Much of the Mycenaean religion survived into classical Greece in their pantheon of Greek deities. Lots of "real" history here!!:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Example of Mycene gold in the museum at this historic site:

MyceneGold.jpg

• Like 1

Finally, we'll finish up and let you take a rest. This is the rest of the "loop" as we circled the Peloponnesian Peninsula. We had lunch in Nafplion.

In the Peloponnesian Peninsula, you can enjoy many countryside views, including of this goat watching over the charming region.:

PelPenGoat.jpg

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic Palamidi military fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor. This fortress is on the crest of a 216-metre high hill. It was built by the Venetians during their second occupation of the area (1686-1715).:

Nap.jpg

In Nafplion, there is this view of the small fort out in the harbor and the main town. We had lunch overlooking this scenic water site.:

NapIslandFort.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics. Their local prosperity enabled Epidaurus to construct civic monuments including this huge theater that had dramatic performances, ceremonial programs, etc. It was designed in the 4th century BC. The original 34 rows were extended in Roman times by another 21 rows. As with many Greek theaters (and as opposed to Roman ones), the view on a lush landscape behind the performing areas was an integral part of the design. It seats up to 15,000 people. The acoustics permit almost perfect intelligibility of unamplified spoken word from the proscenium. A 2007 study by Georgia Tech scholars indicates that the amazing acoustic properties are either the result of an accident or the product of advanced design . . . rows of limestone seats filtering out low-frequency sounds and amplify/reflect high-frequency sounds from the stage.:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

Epidaurus has totally amazing acoustic properties at its location on the Peloponnesian Peninsula. People stood here in the middle, tapped stones, making speeches, etc. It was remarkable to be and hear personally on-site how unique are these acoustic here.:

Gr.jpg

As we finished circling the Peloponnesian Peninsula, this was one of the beautiful coastal views we enjoyed.:

PelPenCoastal.jpg

• 3 years later...

Appreciate those who have dropped by this thread and checked out some of my "eye-candy" from our visiting and touring in Athens and Greece. Am continuing to follow the "challenges" for their economics, etc., that has been facing this historic nation and its people. We hope for the best in this scenic and very interesting country.

To update for those also seeking and interested in other exciting visuals and different locations, we are back safely from four weeks in South Africa, Botswana, etc. Very different from the Caribbean and Amazon River that we did a year ago!!

We enjoyed great sights, many safari/animal experiences and wonderful adventure times!! Lots of pictures on my live/blog and this trip detailing can be seen at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now over 10,300 views for this reporting that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area with lions, leopards, cape buffalo, elephants, giraffes, hippos, etc., etc.

Ohio was not too bad for the time while we traveled below the Equator this year, but the weather for these southern parts of Africa was much warmer and sunnier than what we would have experienced in the Midwest during these challenging winter periods.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 36,807 views for these postings.

Edited by TLCOhio

• 4 months later...

From the London/UK Guardian yesterday, they have this headline: "10 of the best hotel, B&Bs and apartments in Athens" with this sub-headline: "Greece’s economy may still be in the doldrums, but Athens’ arts scene and nightlife are flourishing. Combine that with a wave of new affordable places to stay and the capital is no longer just a gateway to the Greek islands"

This article highlights many of what they call "neoclassical gems" that they cite as being "ripe for restoration". Many of their ten locations cited are smaller and more boutique-style hotels that offer more charm and character than some of the typical, larger chain/formula hotels. Might be some good options to check out and consider.

For location, this article cites, correctly in my view, the beauty and handy location of the "Plaka, Athens’ prettiest and oldest neighborhood".

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/jul/24/athens-greece-hotels-bed-breakfast-stays-guesthouses

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 150,479 views for this posting.

Can someone please comment on what can we do if our cruise ship docks in Athens on Easter Sunday. There are some discussions on our Roll Call, but no conclusion yet as to the solution. Some folks contacted RCCL trying to make them change the day to the next one. Don't really know what happened or what kind of replies they got, I doubt they will agree to it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Can someone please comment on what can we do if our cruise ship docks in Athens on Easter Sunday. There are some discussions on our Roll Call, but no conclusion yet as to the solution. Some folks contacted RCCL trying to make them change the day to the next one. Don't really know what happened or what kind of replies they got, I doubt they will agree to it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Appreciate your good question on this challenging situation. If it were me, here is what I would do. I would check out TripAdvisor and/or Google options for private tours and/or guides in Athens. The, I would e-mail them and ask about their options/suggestions and what they could do for that specific day, etc. Maybe also Google and contact the local tourism office there for what attractions are open that day, etc. Per http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/en/content/hours-and-ticketing

it does show the Acropolis Museum being closed on Easter Sunday. Some on the Acropolis being closed. Good luck!!

Clearly the Greek and Athens economies have been challenged in recent years. Many good guides are flexible to help "customers" and do business when it is moving into the peak of the tourism season. See who is available, what would be open and possible for that day, gain their suggestions, etc.

Does this help a little?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

Now at 40,694 views for these postings.

Appreciate your good question on this challenging situation. If it were me, here is what I would do. I would check out TripAdvisor and/or Google options for private tours and/or guides in Athens. The, I would e-mail them and ask about their options/suggestions and what they could do for that specific day, etc. Maybe also Google and contact the local tourism office there for what attractions are open that day, etc. Per http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/en/content/hours-and-ticketing

it does show the Acropolis Museum being closed on Easter Sunday. Some on the Acropolis being closed. Good luck!!

Clearly the Greek and Athens economies have been challenged in recent years. Many good guides are flexible to help "customers" and do business when it is moving into the peak of the tourism season. See who is available, what would be open and possible for that day, gain their suggestions, etc.

Does this help a little?

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,694 views for these postings.

Thank you so much, Terry. It helps. I will follow your suggestions and investigate. Perhaps something will come up. We have been to Athens in the past and saw all the important sights, but still, it would be good to refresh our memories and at least do a walking tour. If taxis are working, we can just go to town and browse around.

I had looked this information up a year or two ago when some friends were also going on a cruise that was in Athens on the Orthodox Easter Sunday. (Why, cruiselines, why???)

The news wasn't good. Every significant tourist site and museum will be closed. The Acropolis, Agora, Acropolis Museum, Archaeological Museum -- all closed. Nearly all private museums are also closed.

The only thing I could find with certainty that would be open were some of the shops (souvenirs) in the Plaka and also many restaurants. One regular on TripAdvisor has suggested that a few things that one can see by simply walking are your best bets (such as the Panathenaic Stadium); also the changing of the guard at Syntagma should still take place.

Good luck with your visit.

I had looked this information up a year or two ago when some friends were also going on a cruise that was in Athens on the Orthodox Easter Sunday. (Why, cruiselines, why???)

The news wasn't good. Every significant tourist site and museum will be closed. The Acropolis, Agora, Acropolis Museum, Archaeological Museum -- all closed. Nearly all private museums are also closed.

The only thing I could find with certainty that would be open were some of the shops (souvenirs) in the Plaka and also many restaurants. One regular on TripAdvisor has suggested that a few things that one can see by simply walking are your best bets (such as the Panathenaic Stadium); also the changing of the guard at Syntagma should still take place.

Good luck with your visit.

Thank you, Cruisemom. I agree. Don't understand why cruiselines don't plan it better if they know what day is it on a calendar. What I don't understand is, since most of the sights are outside, how can they be closed? Why can't tourists just walk around to sightsee as there is no "formal" entrance, like a museum for example. Anyhow, we'll see what happens. Do you think that there will be taxi or some kind of transport?

Thank you, Cruisemom. I agree. Don't understand why cruiselines don't plan it better if they know what day is it on a calendar. What I don't understand is, since most of the sights are outside, how can they be closed? Why can't tourists just walk around to sightsee as there is no "formal" entrance, like a museum for example. Anyhow, we'll see what happens. Do you think that there will be taxi or some kind of transport?

Some things that are out in the open you'd be able to see -- the Temple of Olympian Zeus for example -- but not close-up. There are fences and barriers around a lot of areas. The Parthenon on the Acropolis can be seen from many places, but getting to see the close-up details of the Parthenon and the other structures up there will not be possible as again it is gated off.

I remember that I tried looking up whether the metro is running and I seem to recall that it is. Worst case scenario you can walk to the metro stop in Piraeus and get into Athens and back on it. But I'd encourage you to perhaps post on the TripAdvisor Athens forum about taxis. There may be some, but I'm guessing that many will not be working on this major holiday (just as most would not be working on Christmas day in the US...)

Just trying to figure out how to let folks know if we want to join shore tours. I am new to Cruise Critic and find these strings hard to navigate and hard to respond directly to an individual. I think my husband & I might like to join up on a tours for each port with the Jade, sail date of 9/24/16, 7 night cruise. How do I do that?

Just trying to figure out how to let folks know if we want to join shore tours. I am new to Cruise Critic and find these strings hard to navigate and hard to respond directly to an individual. I think my husband & I might like to join up on a tours for each port with the Jade, sail date of 9/24/16, 7 night cruise. How do I do that?

You need to go to the Roll Call section of this forum, find your ship and sail date and introduce yourself. Chances are you will find some new friends to share tours with. Good luck! Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, WELCOME to these Cruise Critic boards for our New Mexico "neighbor". Keep asking good questions. Don't be shy!!

Be sure to use the "SEARCH" function on these boards for each of the various cities/ports you are going to visit. There have been lots of different posts, photos, etc., posted earlier that can help you get a sense of your many options in these ports. Lots to share and learn from previous traveler experiences. Also grab, maybe from your library or a book transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc., can work well, too. No one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely. These resources, especially the visuals one, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,978 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 2 weeks later...

From the London/UK Independent on Thursday, they have this headline: "48 Hours in Athens: hotels, restaurants and places to visit" with these highlights: "Athens is too often overlooked in favour of the Greek islands, but with its proximity to the newly hot Peloponnese peninsula, it's time to take notice. The Greek islands are renowned as summer hotspots, yet the capital is rarely seen in the same light. But Athens is a fine prospect to visit the nearby Peloponnese peninsula, 50 miles to the west and - with a wealth of untouched little villages and ports - a rising star itself."

Lots of nice pictures, details and options to consider are outlined in the profile by this newspaper writer. Much of it brings back nice memories. Nice that they and others call this Peloponnese area as "hot" and rising as a place to see and explore.

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/weekend-in-athens-hotels-restaurants-places-to-visit-short-breaks-city-breaks-a7184716.html

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 18,568 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 4 months later...

From the Conde Nast Traveler magazine earlier this month, they have this headline: "Best Places to Travel in 2017" with these very positive highlights about Athens and Greece: "Athens has always been known as an old city. What is new is its burgeoning status as a modern arts capital: Look no further than the recently opened, Renzo Piano-designed, $623 million Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, which houses the National Opera and the National Library of Greece. The National Museum of Contemporary Art also partially reopened in a renovated brewery after a 12-year closure, and in April, the city will co-host documenta, the exhibition of modern and contemporary art that takes place every five years in Kassel, Germany (it's the first time the hosting duties will be split between two cities). Book a room in the shadow of the Acropolis at the new-as-of-2015 AthensWas boutique hotel, and make time for a souvlaki (or three) at O Kostas, which serves the best in town. Though it’s long played second fiddle to other European capitals like Rome, and merely seen as a stopover point on the way to, say, Corfu, Athens has once again arrived."

Full story at:

http://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/the-best-places-to-travel-in-2017

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 164,397 views for this posting.

• 2 weeks later...

For those seeking interesting and different locations, this weekend's New York Times Travel Section will have this headline: "52 Places to Go in 2017" with many different ideas for adventures to be considered for the future.

Here is one story option and highlight of special interest: "Athens, Greece: A post-crisis art boom in an ancient capital. Prices have dropped, but the Greek debt crisis has not dampened Athens’s thriving arts scene. Recent years have seen a surge of galleries, collectives and nonprofit art organizations built for leaner times, like Radio Athènes, which hosts pop-up lectures and performances, and the immigration-focused Nomadic Architecture Network. In October, the renovated EMST National Museum of Contemporary Art opened in a former brewery, while the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, designed by Renzo Piano, opened in August. Athens will co-host the 2017 edition of documenta, the influential art exhibition held in Kassel, Germany, since it started in 1955. " We super loved our time in Athens and nearby. It is great to see this historic area getting the attention and praise it deserves.

Among other great places highlighted in this profile are: Botswana, Great Barrier Reef, Stockholm, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Thailand, Sedona, Madrid, the Lofoten Island of Norway and Budapest. Some of these locations we have super enjoyed visiting, but there are lots more wonderful places meriting future attention. It's great doing this exploring and considering other interesting locations for the future. Love reading these various stories about nice options to consider!!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Now at 46,764 views for these postings.

• 11 months later...

From Travel+Leisure magazine this month, they have this headline: Best Places to Travel in 2018with their highlighting of "The Peloponnese, Greece".

They featured these key details: "The Greek highway system has seen several recent upgrades, with a new route making the 2,000-year-old olive trees and lesser-visited ruins of the Peloponnese, the country’s southernmost swathe of mainland, more accessible. Completed in late 2016, the new A71 highway from Lefktro to Sparta shaves off two hours of driving time from Athens, and has also connected the Lefktro region to nearby Kalamata Airport. Ports have been expanded at Gytheio and Katakolon. Farming is still integral to the region, and agritourism resorts like Eumelia constantly refresh their food and wellness-themed workshops, in addition to serving local dishes like maniatiki pasta with dry mizithra cheese, and moustokouloura, or cookies made with grape molasses."

After a January-February 2018, first visit to Southeast Asia, we are planning a late November, 2018, Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania. This would include our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. BUT, I look forward to any and all suggestions, tips, insights, secrets, etc., for options in and around Athens. It will be our first visit back there since June 2006. Lots has changed and happened during the past decade or so of Greek history and economics.

Looking forward to seeing first-hand today's Athens and how they are doing after all of the recent challenges. Understand that the "values" should be good. Good for visitors, but not as as ideal for those living through these recent situations.

Full story at:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2018#nacujam-bay-croatia

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 2 weeks later...

From BBC reporting last month, they have this headline: “The European city that loves strangers” with this highlight: Locals define the Greek concept of 'philoxenia', which directly translates as ‘love of strangers’, as a warmth that makes foreigners feel immediately welcomed.

Here are a few more interesting story details: "Few cities in the world rival the antiquity of Athens, where people have lived continuously for thousands of years. Athenians created the first forms of democracy, the plays and philosophy that shaped Western civilisation, and the classical buildings that still dot the Acropolis. Though more than 4.5 million people visit the city every year to delve into its past, Athens has plenty in its present to make it worth staying for the longer term. The always-on atmosphere of Athens attracts Greeks and expats alike. 'Athens is a buzzing city,' said Chrissy Manika, an Athens native and blogger at Travel Passionate. 'No matter when you go out you will see the cafes and bars filled with people having a good time.' She especially likes wandering the city centre neighbourhood of Plaka, on the north-east side of the Acropolis."

Nice details on Athens, their people, etc., that helps to build up our personal excitement for visiting Greece again later this year. Will be following closely other reports and tips for enjoying Athens.

Full story at:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20171204-the-european-city-that-loves-strangers

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,472 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 2 months later...

We are now back from our Southeast Asia "adventure", including much in Vietnam, Cambodia, Bangkok and Hong Kong. See the live/blog connected below for many visuals and more details. This was our first visit to this region of the world.

Now, we are turning our focus to Athens, Greece, the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan and the Middle East. Our Athens to Dubai cruise with Oceania will be Nov. 16-Dec. 6, 2018. It will be our first visiting the Israel, the Middle East, etc.

This will include stops for the Greek islands of Patmos and Rhodes before going to Limassol/Cyprus and Haifa, etc. In 2006, we did a stop at Patmos. It will be our first times for Rhodes and Cyprus. In Athens, we are considering getting there a couple days ahead four cruise. Given that we previously have done the Acropolis, National Archaeological Museum and Peloponnese Peninsula, we are starting to evaluate our best potentials for 2018.

We definitely want to see and tour the new Acropolis Museum that was opened after our June 2006 previous and only visit to Athens. We are also considering a day-trip tour from Athens to Delphi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Understand this historic site has major monuments from Ancient Greece such as the Temple of Apollo. Reactions and experiences to share for comparing Delphi . . . versus . . . doing Cape Sounion and Temple of Poseidon?

What else is new and/or great to consider for in and around Athens in mid November 2018?

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474