Venice questions???

clayb

Hello, I will also post this on the Europe page.

This is my first visit to Europe, we're sailing Splendour in April, 2010.

Questions:

1. RCI pier... Can we check in luggage w/ RCI early morning on Saturday?

If not, can we leave it with "left luggage?

3. Does RCI offer water shuttle from terminal to San Marcos on embarking &

disembarking? If so, can you get the tickets from both the terminal and San Marco ?

Thanks so much, we're starting to do our research and had these initial questions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Clay

• 3 months later...

There is a facility to leave your luggage in the port terminal fairly safely. It is not locked away but most people (including us in the past) manage ok. A ticket booth for the water taxi is just outside the terminal which is right on the Grand Canal so no problem there. St Marks Square is only a very few stops away. The water taxis run pretty much constantly.

There is a facility to leave your luggage in the port terminal fairly safely. It is not locked away but most people (including us in the past) manage ok. A ticket booth for the water taxi is just outside the terminal which is right on the Grand Canal so no problem there. St Marks Square is only a very few stops away. The water taxis run pretty much constantly.

I think you are confusing the water taxis (which are very expensive) with the vaporettos (a more reasonable public transportation option).

Stay away from the water taxis. They are very, very expensive. Getting around Venice is fairly easy and inexpensive. Just do your homework, get a good map and scope out the valporetto stations.

We were on Brilliance two years ago, and we docked right on the Grand Canal. All we had to do was get off the ship and we were in the middle of everything. We were told that because we were the first ship in port that day, we were able to dock there.

don't know about the port, but there is a left luggage at the train station.

RCCL ran a free shuttle service from the Piazzale Roma to the terminal when we were there in November. A monorail was being built, this might already be in operation when you get to Venice. In that case, RCCL might not have the bus anymore.

Unless you happen to be rich, use the vaporetto and not the water taxis.

Hello, I will also post this on the Europe page.

This is my first visit to Europe, we're sailing Splendour in April, 2010.

Questions:

1. RCI pier... Can we check in luggage w/ RCI early morning on Saturday?

If not, can we leave it with "left luggage?

3. Does RCI offer water shuttle from terminal to San Marcos on embarking & disembarking? If so, can you get the tickets from both the terminal and San Marco ?

Thanks so much, we're starting to do our research and had these initial questions.

Thanks in advance for your help. Clay

Actually RCCL uses two different docks in Venice. Most of the time the ship will dock near the train station and the Piazza Roma. Sometimes the ship will dock near St. Marks Square. Chances are your ship will dock near the Piazza Roma. You will need to leave your luggage at PR (very easy to get to from the airport) and take the vaporetto down the canal to get to St. Marks. Go to the Med-Venice boards to get more details. It isn't hard, but is is slightly time consuming to get from the airport and you won't have too much time in Venice that day before the ship departs. Most important, HAVE A GREAT TIME.

The water taxi from the Hilton to the cruise terminal (maybe a 5-minute ride) was 60 eur.

The vaporettos have one-trip tickets or all day tickets. While I found that still not cheap, it was way cheaper than the taxi.

Take the bus from the airport to Piazza Roma about 5 euro.

Store your bags at the depot on the otherside of the Piazza 24 hours about 4 euro,

Enjoy Venice with your carryon and go to your hotel.

In the morning pick up your bags and take the free bus to the ship.

The bus stops on The Piazza in the corner by the park and bank.

Easy no water taxi or vapparetto needed.

Did this with 4 old ladies and we made it.

Enjoy the Splendour and Venice make sure you are at the top deck sailing in and out of Venice.

We were on the Brilliance in Venice last summer, we docked around the back of the Grand Canal. We decided to walk to Piazzale Roma and get the vaparetto down to St Mark's, it was a fairly long walk to the bus/vaparetto station and a bit difficult for me because of my arthritis, so we got the ship's water shuttle back from St Mark's Square (it's just a couple of hundred yards down from there near S.Zaccaria water stop). We were told we had to buy a return ticket from the ship, but that was not true, we just got a one-way ticket.

This new train link sounds exciting and more convenient

Archived