Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

Wow John you made me take down a scrapebook that I haven't looked at in years. We both were slim and had dark hair:D

The year was 1985 (9/26 to 10/02) on the beautiful MS. Nieuw Amsterdam, C deck, cabin 826. Our room was an outside, PORTHOLE:D One day out of Tampa and we hit rough water and the porthole looked just like my washing machine, my husband got sooooo sick.

We went to Cozumel, Mexico - Montego Bay, Jamaica - George Town, Grand Cayman. We fly from Los Angeles to Tampa Florida.

This trip was just so great and yes it did hook us and hopefully we will get our 103 days this May 13, 2009 on the MS Eurodam.

Kathy

Oh my gosh I was flipping thourgh my book and I found $5 for mileage pool refund, don't know why but here it is!! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.:rolleyes:

My first cruise was in the early 70's on the Izara (possibly Chandris?). My Dad was a travel agent so he took us on three in the 70's. The Atlantis (not sure which line), and the Black Seas Odessa which I just read a short time ago was sent to be broken up for scrap. What I remember about the Odessa was how HUGE it was to me at the time...I think in the 20,000 ton range! I leave for my first adult cruise in 35 days...hurricanes permitting!:D

The Nieuw Amsterdam II. I was a young boy and my father had business with Royal Dutch Petroleum(Shell). The initial adventure was my first airplane flight from Tulsa, Oklahoma, to New York City. We sailed out of the Hoboken terminal to Rotterdam. I was awed by the size of the ship (over 1,000 passengers), the open Atlantic, the meals, and watching motion pictures in the theatre. My life-long love of travel began with that cruise in the late 1950s.

Our first Cruise was on the Big Red Boat "Disney Wonder" in 1989:). Saw an ad in the Sunday papers and booked with Liberty Travel for 2 adults and 1 child. It was a Land & Sea package that we extended to 9 days, with 4 days on board . We sailed to Port Canaveral ,Nassau, and Castaway Cay, it was so magical. Loved the Disney characters, the international staff, and all on board activities .

Their private Island was the best, we found several hammocks anchored to palm trees, it was sheer paradise! It was as though we had died and gone to Heaven!:D

As new "Cruisers" :confused:we knew nothing of Cabin selection, or Deck plans. My DH had only one request of the travel agent, put us near a stairway and elevator. Needless to say we were given the lowest possible inside cabin with 2 fold down bunks and 1 twin bed. It was very tight, but we managed, and loved every minute of it.

Since 1989 we have taken 1 Cruise a year, first few were with RCCL, but once you've sailed on HAL, nothing else will do!

Our first HAL ship was ms Veendam in a veranda cabin, and it is our sentimental favorite. I also like the size of this ship, the smaller the better. Do like the ms Noordam, and will soon experience the Eurodam.

Love those DAM ships!:cool:

First cruise was in 1984 aboard P&O's wonderful

ss Canberra. After a tour of Europe we cruised home

via the Panama Canal from Southampton to Auckland.

wpd0ffcd04.png

As we left Southamptom ,Royal Princess was docked behind us.

She had just been christened by Princess Diana and followed us

across the Atlantic ,encountering 3 hurricanes in 5 days.

Hooked? Well cruise no 35 comes up next month.

My first cruise was in June 1989 on NCL's Starward. I wasn't that crazy about the cruise and didn't go again until 1994 on Carnival's Canivale. I loved that cruise, and that's where my cruise addiction began. My first HAL cruise is on Maasdam in October and I can't wait!

Terri

My first cruise was on NCL's Norwegian Wind on July 6, 1998. I'd always wanted to go on a cruise, and I remember my dad coming home in January of that year with an NCL Alaska brochure, and that made it official! (I still have the well-worn brochure in my cruise mementos collection). The ship had just been stretched that April, and we were just bowled over by the ship, the food, etc (and of course, I was instantly hooked - I keep joking at work that when they hand me extra projects, I'll take payment in the form of cruises ;) )

The Norwegian Wind (courtesy ShipSpotting.net):

Ship+Photo+Norwegian+Wind.jpg

Testing us for senility, John? ;)

My first cruise was on the ss Statendam in June, 1978. It was NYC-Bermuda, and return.

And oh, yes, I got me very hooked.

Did I pass the test? :confused:

With flying colors Ruth, thanks!;)

Ship+Photo+Statendam.jpg

s/s Statendam IV (HAL: 1957-1982) Became “Rhapsody” in 1982, Regent Star in 1986, “Sea Harmony” in 1996 and finally, “Harmony 1" in 2004 and broken up that same year at Alang, India

We too are rather new at this cruising thing but once we get hooked on something Tom and I have been known to jump in head first:D

Our first cruise I won from a local Credit Union that does financing for our car dealership and I had sent them the most loans in a 3 month period. They actually announced that I won a Caribbean Cruise on September 11, 2001. Now this day already has many tragic memories but this was the day I was told I won. I had extremely mixed feelings because we had never cruised yet at that moment the possibility of travel seemed bleak but we did take this cruise. We did it for our 25th Wedding Anniversary in March 2002 and it was a 5 Day Western Caribbean cruise on RCL's Monarch of the Seas. Of course it was during Spring Break but we loved every minute of it.

1NrijOSBBZcBZffAaw8We7Y5NXVGbBU0300.jpg?t=1221368683

My first cruise was SS Independence around the Hawaiian Islands with my first husband in 1986. I was also on the Viking Serenade in 1990 before they added the extra cabins. There was just a big empty area below decks where the future cabins would be. We had an inside. We also took it to Alaska the same year with another inside. That was my last inside cabin!

John,our first ship was the Polynesia of Windjammer fame. We sailed it in 1979 I believe. It now rusts away at the dock in Aruba.

Our first BIG ship was Paquet Cruise Lines Rhapsody. We sailed it in the early eighties (?) with a carribean itinerary. Unlimited complimentary wine (good stuff too) with dinner.

Rich and Karen

First cruise was 8/18/82 on the Sitmar Fairwind. It was a 10 day Eastern Caribbean to St. Thomas, Antigua, Martinique, St. Maarten and St. Croix. We were in cabin E155. I was 7 at the time, but I guess 20+ cruises and 25 years later you could say I am hooked.

First HAL cruise 4/2/89 on the Westerdam. Went to San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Freeport.

Hi Copper,

Mine was a three night cruise from Miami on the Dolphin IV in 1991. The itinerary was Nassau, and a private island. It was an introductory cruise before deciding to book our honeymoon on the Dolphin Oceanbreeze, a 7-night Southern Caribbean from Aruba. I believe Dolphin Cruise line later was sold to Premier. The ships were older, but we loved them. Oh yes, we were hooked from the start, and our cruises only keep getting better :)

Ship+Photo+DOLPHIN+IV.jpg

s/s Dolphin IV (1956-2003) Built as Zion and sailed for ZIM Line until 1966, renamed "Arnelia De Melo" until 1972 when she was renamed "Ithaca". Sailed as Dolphin IV first for Paquet Ulysses Cruises and then for Dolphin Cruise Line from 1979 until 1998. Sailed for Cape Canaveral Cruise Lines from 1998 until 2000 and retired to the breakers in 2003

Wow, this is going to be fun. First cruise ship was the Assure Sea's, have no idea if that was the ships name or the cruise lines name. I'm guessing it was the ship's name. I'm sure someone else will know. It was a three day like yours, down to Ensenada. Was not impressed at all, it was then years later when my DH gave us a Christmas present of a cruise to Alaska during August of 1995 on the Ryndam, it was only 6 months old, in a suite. Well, as they say, the rest is history, 35 cruises, 23 with Hal.

Ship+Photo+Southern+Cross.jpg

s/s Azure Seas; built as Southern Cross and delivered in 1955. Became Calypso 1973 and Azure Seas in 1980. Renamed Ocean Breeze in 1992 and Imperial Majesty in 1998. Broken up at Chittagong, Bangladesh in 2003

My first cruise was aboard NCL's Song of Norway. A first cruise on a historical ship for the cruise industry.

Ship+Photo+SONG+OF+NORWAY.jpg

Song of Norway (1970-present) Sailed for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line from 1970 until 1997. Became "Sundream" from 1997 until 2004, "Dream Princess" between 2004 and 2006, "Dream" between 2006 and 2007, "Clipper Pearl" in 2007 and currently sailing as "Clipper Pacific" for the Peaceboat organization

Ship+Photo+CLIPPER+PACIFIC.jpg

Ship+Photo+Southern+Cross.jpg

s/s Azure Seas; built as Southern Cross and delivered in 1955. Became Calypso 1973 and Azure Seas in 1980. Renamed Ocean Breeze in 1992 and Imperial Majesty in 1998. Broken up at Chittagong, Bangladesh in 2003

Wow John, that's her, I think our cabin was down along water line somewhere. Tiny cabins, we had to excuse ourselves every time my DH and I passed by each other in the cabin, consequently we spent little time there.

Amazing, where do you find all these old ships pictures? Thanks for taking the time to posted the picture of her.