Passport options for kids

Jajone

It's been a year since we cruised with the kids and we do have passports. However, next fall we are hoping to pay for my BIL family to come with us for a vow renewal. They are going through tough times with a house forclosure now and I am sure can not afford full passports. We will be paying for their cruise, but they still will have to pay for airline tickets and spending money. Are passports required or will they be by 10/2010? Is the passport card good for anything if you can't use it for flying home?

Passport cards are $45 per adult and $35 per child. Passport Books are $100 per adult and $85 per child. In case of emergency, they can not fly home on a passport card.

I think its great that you've offered to buy them a cabin on the cruise. Since you've been on a cruise before, you will want to disclose all of the things that cost money while on-board. You want them to have a good time I'm sure. But if they are having a hard time with money, they really need to know what they are getting into.

Is this a closed loop cruise? Arriving and departing from the same US port? If it is, then right now, the passport isn't required. A birth certificate with photo ID is enough to cruise (can't use it to fly home in an emergency though) I can't say for sure what will happen in 10/2010.

It's been a year since we cruised with the kids and we do have passports. However, next fall we are hoping to pay for my BIL family to come with us for a vow renewal. They are going through tough times with a house forclosure now and I am sure can not afford full passports. We will be paying for their cruise, but they still will have to pay for airline tickets and spending money. Are passports required or will they be by 10/2010? Is the passport card good for anything if you can't use it for flying home?

Personally, if I knew that a relative was going through a tough time like a house foreclosure, I would not consider "gifting" them with a cruise...and expect them to be paying for airline tickets, spending money, all the other things that come extra on a cruise beyond the cruise fare itself. I know you want to be generous, and want them with you for this important event..but under the circumstances, I'd be planning something local, without all the extra costs.

You're right, the passport card is only good for what it was intended for: those folks who live along the border (either Canada or Mexico), and drive across the border frequently, like for work, shopping, or other business. So passport cards won't allow them to fly.

I don't think anyone can say what the rules might be by 10/2010..which is why I always tell folks that, if they're going to travel anywhere outside the US, they should just get the passport.

Personally, if I knew that a relative was going through a tough time like a house foreclosure, I would not consider "gifting" them with a cruise...and expect them to be paying for airline tickets, spending money, all the other things that come extra on a cruise beyond the cruise fare itself. I know you want to be generous, and want them with you for this important event..but under the circumstances, I'd be planning something local, without all the extra costs.

You're right, the passport card is only good for what it was intended for: those folks who live along the border (either Canada or Mexico), and drive across the border frequently, like for work, shopping, or other business. So passport cards won't allow them to fly.

I don't think anyone can say what the rules might be by 10/2010..which is why I always tell folks that, if they're going to travel anywhere outside the US, they should just get the passport.

Well said, uppity. No one even mentioned trip insurance. I know that in times of distress, it can be helpful to just "get away" for a few days to unwind and relax. I'm just not so sure that a cruise is the best idea, considering all of the extra expenses and travelling out of country. Jajone, I think it's lovely that you are doing this for your BIL! However, your cruise is 10 months away, and who knows what any situation will be at that time! This may sound ditzy, but perhaps a stay at a "in-country" nice hotel/spa which offers renewal vows might be an option. Air fare is outrageous these days, with fees tacked on to everything from checked luggage to meals. IMO, the Passport fees might be one of the least expenses. Anyway, whatever you decide to do, I hope it all works out!

Archived