Is it for older people

luvtoswim

I've heard that Holland America is geared toward and "older" cruise crowd.

Can anyone tell me how the entertainment, activities, etc. are????

We are "young" 50 year olds looking to have fun. Holland America has a good Southern Caribeean itinerary. Comments, please

We are in our late 40's and have decided to give HAL a shot next June. I've also heard the phrase "Silver Cruise Line" used to depict Holland America's older crowd.

I'm sure that it also depends on what time of year you cruise. Obviously during the summer months I would bet that their are a lot of kids on family vacations.

As long as it doesn't look like a nursing home at sea I'll have no problem with a older crowd. Plus my Mom who will be celebrating her 71st birthday on board is also coming with us.

Everyone 'wants to have fun' on a cruise.

HAL has cruisers of all ages from babes in arms to very senior.

If you choose a 65 day Grand Voyage, you certainly should expect an older demographic.

If you choose a seven or ten day Caribbean cruise, you will have a mixture of all ages just like Princess, Celebrity and the rest of mass market.

Go on a holiday cruise or during school vacations and you'll find tons of multi-generaltional families and loads of kids from day care to college.

In no case is HAL a 'party hearty' line and folks of all ages want to have fun. :)

Heads up to save you research time based on what a previous poster wrote - HAL does not sail the Caribbean between mid-April and mid-October each year.

Hubby and I will be taking our first HAl cruise in the coming year and we are in our 30's. It was difficult to get Hubby to go on another cruise partly because of the 'party atmosphere,' loud and obnoxious guests, and screaming children on our last cruise (we were in our 20's at the time, and certainly not prudes).

I am personally hoping for an 'older' and more refined crowd!

We're in our mid-50's and we've been some of the youngest on our HAL cruises. While the average age is older, that doesn't mean it's going to be "a nursing home at sea." What you're going to find is a very nice group of people. Very civil. In fact, that's one thing that keeps us coming back to HAL ... and that's the other passengers. We've met some really wonderful people on our cruises and we've just booked another cruise with a CC couple that we met on our last cruise.

We've always cruising in Jan/Feb and there were very few kids. There were 4 on our last 10-day cruise, and only 2 on the cruise before that (7-day). While we love children, we have some of our own, the lower number of children on the cruises really appeals to us.

I guess you won't know until you try HAL. I hope you have a wonderful time. We have friends that cruise other lines and we're hesitant to try them because we're so happy with HAL. It is nice that we have so many choices! :)

Happy cruising!

Don't overlook the calendar and pricing effect on clientele. Those cruises out of US ports will attract non fliers and cheaper pricing and discounting, particularly last minute, will attract the cheaper end of the market onto a cruise, ie. those who live near the cruise port. School break times will also have an effect on the expectations and age group on board.

Don't overlook the calendar and pricing effect on clientele. Those cruises out of US ports will attract non fliers and cheaper pricing and discounting, particularly last minute, will attract the cheaper end of the market onto a cruise, ie. those who live near the cruise port. School break times will also have an effect on the expectations and age group on board.

:confused:

I'd like to add the cruises leaving out of US ports (particularly in winter) attract people who live in cold areas of US and Canada and fly to those ports in order to enjoy some warm weather during the cold winter months.

Sure there are some folks who live in Florida or nearby states and drive (and from more distant states & Canada, as well) but go to Miami or FLL airport on days ships are embarking and disembarking and I think your viewpoint might change. Lots of us catching flights.

And..... price almost always will depend upon category of cabin selected. Some Suites on those winter cruises can be big $$$.

What appears to be the biggest difference is that the HAL late night Crows Nest DJ event upper deck lounge is usually empty after the last shows, whereas other lines apparently have it rocking with lots of people into the late hours. Other than that, there does not seem to be too much difference between the various other premium lines in regards to age demographics.

DH has always cruised DCL with all the screaming kids. Last week was his first HAL cruise. He is now hooked for HAL :D I sailed HAL in April and loved it! We are in our early 40's and we just wanted to rest and relax and did Every day. We picked out our on fun things to do if we wanted to. Give HAL a try if you REALLY want to R&R.

DH has always cruised DCL with all the screaming kids. Last week was his first HAL cruise. He is now hooked for HAL :D I sailed HAL in April and loved it! We are in our early 40's and we just wanted to rest and relax and did Every day. We picked out our on fun things to do if we wanted to. Give HAL a try if you REALLY want to R&R.

I totally agree with this post... we did Noordam to the Caribbean few years ago and yes, it is an older crowd - but we found that to be an advantage, as there was not so many folks in the pools or hottubs. There is still plenty to do (entertainment was very good) but what we enjoyed most about HAL (DH and I are in our mid 50s) was all the "comfortable areas" to just enjoy a good book and relax. Also the service was absolutely Great and staff is fabulous. The only drawback was that the ship basically "shuts down" around Midnight (but we were so tired from shore excursions, etc. this was not an issue). I would highly recommended HAL.

Here, here to all who posted about courteous fellow passengers. Mix in a gracious crew whose ready smiles underscore efficient service, lovely ships, good food, marvelous beds, and touches like fresh flower arrangements and beautiful decor/art in public spaces, what's not to like?

As for HAL catering to an older clientele, yes, we had heard that claim for years. Because of it, we hesitated. Guess we would be considered "senior," as we're 61, but have energy levels of 40 year olds. Before our lst HAL cruise, we were worried the ship would "shut down" too early. On Maasdam, we discovered the Crow's Nest hopped and jived until 1 almost every night, except the lst and last nights. Was it packed? No, but there were enough people to make it fun.

We complimented HAL so often after that first cruise, that on our next cruise, our 23 year-old son & his best friend have booked a cabin too. If the demographics skew toward the elderly, they are saying they'll enjoy it more. My son actually said he prefers older because he's found the over- 50 crowd to be wiser and more fun to talk to.

If you're thinking of the 10 day Southern Caribbean, sounds as though you might be on Maasdam, same cruise we took. Go for it. It's wonderful. Whatever you decide, have a fabulous cruise.

My husband and I are in our late 20's and we're leaving on the Veendam in a week for South America/Antarctica for our honeymoon. While I'm sure we'll be bringing down the average age of the ship's passengers, we're looking forward to it being a really nice trip. We're sure to find some fun, and at the end of the day ANY vacation is really what you make of it!

My husband and I are in our late 20's and we're leaving on the Veendam in a week for South America/Antarctica for our honeymoon. While I'm sure we'll be bringing down the average age of the ship's passengers, we're looking forward to it being a really nice trip. We're sure to find some fun, and at the end of the day ANY vacation is really what you make of it!

What a wonderful honeymoon! Let us know what you think when you return.

What appears to be the biggest difference is that the HAL late night Crows Nest DJ event upper deck lounge is usually empty after the last shows, whereas other lines apparently have it rocking with lots of people into the late hours. Other than that, there does not seem to be too much difference between the various other premium lines in regards to age demographics.

That can and does very much depend upon who the DJ is.

Anyone who has sailed with DJ Jazzy will agree (I think) the he packs the room. When Jazzy is DJ, people come to play. He is great. We were on a Maasdam b-to-b Canada/New England cruise two years ago. Typically, Crows Nest is relatively quiet as that is a port intensive itinerary. First week was very quiet in Crows Nest. Jazzy joined on second week and packed the place.

The only variable was Jazzy..... and other DJ's like him. [Are there any like Jazzy? :D We love that guy!]

Copngratulations on your marriage and all best wishes.

Hope you have a fabulous Honeymoon on Veendam. You've chosen an amazing itinerary.

Hope you'll post some comments when you return. :)

Fair Winds and a Following Sea.......

We are in our fifties. DW found HAL on the dull and boring side. It did not phase me, I just wanted to be away from cell phones, office phones, internet, etc. So for me, there was usually a good spot by the pool with a book or a chair on our verandah was a glass of the grape. Entertainment on one HAL cruise was not great, at the bottom end of the scale compared to other cruises that we have been on (with one other exception). There was no activity to speak of after 10PM that caused a gathering of more than 6 people.....lounges included. Having said that I am certain that we will be on HAL again if the itinerary and value is right for us.

I am late 40's and DH is 70 we found a wide variety of ages on our recent cruise. We are usually independent travellers so not influenced by other people as long as the itinary is good and the important stuff like good food and service which HAL excels at.

We are in our fifties. DW found HAL on the dull and boring side. It did not phase me, I just wanted to be away from cell phones, office phones, internet, etc. So for me, there was usually a good spot by the pool with a book or a chair on our verandah was a glass of the grape. Entertainment on one HAL cruise was not great, at the bottom end of the scale compared to other cruises that we have been on (with one other exception). There was no activity to speak of after 10PM that caused a gathering of more than 6 people.....lounges included. Having said that I am certain that we will be on HAL again if the itinerary and value is right for us.
I love dull and boring. It's the exciting and crazy stuff that scares me. I want to be quiet on a vacation. It works. For. me.:)

The "older" cruiser can be a wealth of information too. When we sailed on the 30 day South Pacific in jan. I was one of the youngest passengers (I think there were 2 younger than me). I was 49 at the time. It has been our best cruise to date. We can't wait to do the trip again in the future.

A cruise is what you make of it. If you have negative thoughts before you go, it usually affects your cruise experience. I always take what others say on these boards with a grain of salt. I make lemonade when given lemons!

I think you will have to try HAL to see if it is for you. The shorter the cruise the younger the passangers. School age children will be less than some of the other lines. The bars probably close a little eariler. However I was on one HAL cruise from Vancuver to Seattle where the average age was probably in the 40's (and a lot younger) and the bar did not close until the sun came up. Since Seattle was the last port HAL switched to cash only so they could do their final bills.

We just got off the Eurodam yesterday, and of all our recent HAL cruises, found it to have the youngest passenger mix we have encountered on Holland America. There actually seemed to be more strollers than wheelchairs. There was also a large number of the 30-40 age group as well. After our Ryndam cruise last year out of San Diego to the Sea of Cortez, we were almost ready to give up on HAL, as we felt we had landed in an assisted living facility. The Eurodam is sleek, modern, and seems to appeal to a younger crowd , especially for a 7 night cruise.

I guess you have to define "party". If you like loud and boisterous 24/7 then HAL probably isn't for you. If you like to have a slightly more subtle good time then you'll have a ball. It's most definitely not a Party Boat, but neither is it a Retirement Home. I think HAL gets the balance just about right. Having said that if I wanted to take my kids cruising [shudder] I'd grit my teeth and pick one of the more family oriented lines like Disney or Carnival.

There will be several younger couples going on June Alaska cruise .Will the disco stay open if their are people wanting to dance and listen to music? What venues tend to stay open longer.DH and I usually don't go to our cabin till midnight or latter.

I am more concerned with the economic differences.I have read many posts on this board where people seem to look down on those of us working class folk that book inside cabins.I would stay in an inside cabin in a heart beat vs not being able to cruise or have any money for tours or spending money.

Archived