14 day cruises

luvtoswim

When you are on a cruise NOTHING IS TO LONG !

We started doing a 7 day, went up to 10 days and now 14 days. You get hooked on the longer cruises and can't imagine going back to the shorter ones.

Joyce

We have done 7 seven day cruises and 1 fourteen day cruise - the next two booked are both 14 days.

The itinerary, and you like/dislike of sea days would decide if the cruise is too long or not.

We like the feeling of knowing on day 8 that we don't have to get off the ship!

However, we were just on a 7 day cruise (Carnival) that had 4 sea days - so to me that cruise was too long - for others probably too short.

We have taken 2 cruises of 16 days to SA/Antarctica plus 2 18-day Europe/Transatlantic cruises in the past 2 years. Our observations say that we and many other people start getting antsy at about day 14 and are ready to get back home. However, those with no or little life at home would be happy to stay on forever.

We done every cruise length up to 31 nights. DH thought a month was a bit too long. I miss home and friends dreadfully regardless of cruise length, but a month is just about long enough for me. 14 nights can be perfect...the 14 nights we did on the Sea Princess with 10 port days in the row was a bit tiring.

Luvtoswim-- I think it is an individualized question. I agree with everybody above who says the danger of doing longer cruises is that it makes 7 day cruises seem so short-- but I think you need to think about the ship, the itinerary and your preferences. As others have mentioned, long stretches of sea days are different that port days, especially if you are on one of the smaller R class ships (some of us love them and could sit and read, play trivia, etc. for a week or two straight, but others feel a bit confined). Also ask yourself how much you like the food on the particular line (and for some passengers, how much variety there is in the dining options matters).

Do you remember how you felt at the end of the 10 day cruise? Was it depression or relief or somewhere in between? I think that's your best clue as to whether or not you want to cruise longer. I love getting to day 7 and realizing that I still have half of my cruise left!

When we did our first 15 day cruise in 2005, DH was a bit apprehensive thinking it was going to be too long. He liked it so much that we decided to try not to go on any cruises less than 10 days, Alaska being the exception. We did a B2B two years ago, and were so excited when we came back to Ft. Lauderdale after the first week realizing that we would be going back out again. That first week just seemed to fly by and we had the second week to still enjoy.

Would not consider anything less than 14 days unless it was an itinery we especially wanted to do, 7 days is not enough time, get relaxed then it's time to go home.

We prefer fly cruises and as the air fare is the same irrespective of cruise duration 14+ day cruises are more attractive financially with the extra price for the 2nd week being low compared to the first.

Although slightly off topic in the UK it is commonplace to take 14 days holiday I get the feeling it is not common in the US given that most cruises with US cruise lines appear to be 7, 10 or sometimes 12 days?

We like to do 4-5 days precruise and sometimes a week post cruise in a different city. Our longest cruise was 14 days and next is 15 days. I just bet I will like it. I don't like being home more than 3 weeks in a row then I get antsy to pack and go!:D

Would not consider anything less than 14 days unless it was an itinery we especially wanted to do, 7 days is not enough time, get relaxed then it's time to go home.

We prefer fly cruises and as the air fare is the same irrespective of cruise duration 14+ day cruises are more attractive financially with the extra price for the 2nd week being low compared to the first.

Although slightly off topic in the UK it is commonplace to take 14 days holiday I get the feeling it is not common in the US given that most cruises with US cruise lines appear to be 7, 10 or sometimes 12 days?

many US companies may give only one week vacations to newer employees. At some point, many will give two weeks (10 days) of vacation to employees, but either prefer or actually require an employee to take only five days at a time. My hubby's workplace is an exception in that you can take any or all of your earned vacation days all at once as long as it doesn't affect things operationally. Since I'm not working at this time, and as long as school is out (the school district here makes it difficult for kids to take off for non-illness related days), we can take a longer trip.

Our last cruise was 15 days and now hubby says he can't see going on 7-day cruises anymore. I think 15 days seemed to be the right length for me. We had plenty of sea days, which we prefer.

Now if someone who has never been on a cruise was to ask me what length cruise to take, I would recommend a much shorter one just to see if they like it.

Archived