Is it walkable to dock to Lumberjack show in Ketchikan?

Been There, Planning That

We're debating whether or not to book the show and transportation thru' HAL (for a family of 16) or make our own way from the dock?

Is it a walkable distance?

Given there will be young children along, would we be wise to simplify things and book thru' the ship?

Thanks Alaskan experts,

Ruth

It is very close - no need to worry about finding it.

FYI - you may want to compare prices (with cruise line and separately). Several years ago, the price was the same at the lumberjack show as it was on the ship but they charged tax by going direct. So, it would have been just a tad cheaper to book it on the ship.

Coral, your response leads to another question: If you book thru' HAL does a bus get you to the show or do you walk on your own?

Are seats reserved or is it first come...?

I'm trying to keep things simple for our group with 8 adults and 8 wondergrandchildren. Any bus tours we've taken waste time loading and unloading and waiting for stragglers. And since many HAL cruisers don't seem to like children too much, I want to avoid causing grief to others. I'm not worried about the actual show as everything I've read makes it appear to be more kid friendly than (mature) adult friendly.

Coral, your response leads to another question: If you book thru' HAL does a bus get you to the show or do you walk on your own?

Are seats reserved or is it first come...?

I'm trying to keep things simple for our group with 8 adults and 8 wondergrandchildren. Any bus tours we've taken waste time loading and unloading and waiting for stragglers. And since many HAL cruisers don't seem to like children too much, I want to avoid causing grief to others. I'm not worried about the actual show as everything I've read makes it appear to be more kid friendly than (mature) adult friendly.

I actually don't know as I walked and bought my ticket at the ticket booth. I hung out at their gift store for about 20 minutes before the show.

I also don't know about how people sit. I just walked in and sat down. There were some seats that were under a heater in case the temps are cold. There is quite a bit of seats there and it wasn't full the day I was there (though, my guess is at times it does get full). I don't think any seats were reserved. I think everyone just came in and found a seat.

Depending on where you dock - it is 1-2 blocks probably. I would assume if you booked through the ship, they would have a guide walk you to the lumberjack show. It would be too much of a hassle to put people on busses.

I did this on a cruise about 4 years ago and the prices were the same on Princess (not sure what HAL prices are or if Princess prices are still the same).

The show is definitely "kid friendly"! And adults will enjoy it also :)

Coral, you're a good researcher. I'd been to that site but when I first posted my question, I'd completely forgotten about it.

We're so looking forward to a grand family celebration. And buying tickets from HAL sounds the easiest way to go.

Again, thank you,

Ruth

Since some who posted on this thread have actually been to this show, can you tell me something about it: How long is the show? Is it really worth the almost $120.00 it would cost us to see it or are there other things you would recommend to see instead? We had planned to see the show and then walk the route recommended by the local tourist board. The walk takes you near a salmon ladder, some totem poles and a bird/Eagle area. I don't really want to sit through a silly or boring show if there are other ways we can spend our time. :rolleyes:

How long is the show?

The show is about 45 minutes long.

Is it really worth the almost $120.00 it would cost us to see it or are there other things you would recommend to see instead?

Admittedly, the show was fun - the crowd gets into it and really cheers. There were some corny jokes and some great skill presentations. I enjoyed it as a low-key activity, but it would not be my first recommendation for an option of what to do in Ketchikan (unless you are traveling with kids, which I was not)

We had planned to see the show and then walk the route recommended by the local tourist board. The walk takes you near a salmon ladder, some totem poles and a bird/Eagle area. I don't really want to sit through a silly or boring show if there are other ways we can spend our time. :rolleyes:

Assuming you have no mobility issues, the town of Ketchikan is very compact and you would still have plenty of time to walk the route through town. To give you an idea of time needed, I was there 7am-3pm and had time for the lumberjack show, the walking "tour", and about 30-40 minute stops in the Discovery Center, Hatchery/Raptor Center, Totem Heritage Center, Tongass Historical Museum + lunch. I don't really shop so I didn't need any time for that. I used ALL my time in Ketchikan though - first off at 7am and last on around 2:40 :rolleyes: Pare down your expectations on what you have time for if you want to sleep in, do some shopping, or if you walk slowly (whether due to taking lots of photos ;) or because of physical reasons)

Really it comes down to your interests as to what you decide to do with your day since you won't have time for everything. Totem Bight (by bus) is a cheap choice recommended on these boards and was my first choice of what to do -- but the local bus doesn't run on Sundays (when I was there) so for a semi-affordable option I chose the Lumberjack show. Other cheaper choices would be Saxman Village or hiking in the area. Things like flightseeing or the Bering Fisherman tour sound like a good time to me but were out of my price range. Next time I'm in Alaska, maybe I'll try them out!

Coral, you're a good researcher. I'd been to that site but when I first posted my question, I'd completely forgotten about it.

We're so looking forward to a grand family celebration. And buying tickets from HAL sounds the easiest way to go.

Again, thank you,

Ruth

I would look online direct to see the prices and then see what HAL is charging. The year I went - Princess was the same price as the show but the show charged tax so I probably paid $1 more by buying at the door. Not enough to complain about but it was one of those things I noticed. So just double check and order accordingly!

Since some who posted on this thread have actually been to this show, can you tell me something about it: How long is the show? Is it really worth the almost $120.00 it would cost us to see it or are there other things you would recommend to see instead? We had planned to see the show and then walk the route recommended by the local tourist board. The walk takes you near a salmon ladder, some totem poles and a bird/Eagle area. I don't really want to sit through a silly or boring show if there are other ways we can spend our time. :rolleyes:

How many tickets are involved in that cost of $120? Is the price $20, $30, $40 a ticket? The individual ticket price would give people a better basis for determining whether or not the cost is worth it.

How many tickets are involved in that cost of $120? Is the price $20, $30, $40 a ticket? The individual ticket price would give people a better basis for determining whether or not the cost is worth it.

It is $35 for adults, $18 for children.

I probably should not have posted this question. I fully realize that everyone has a different take on all the excursions. There will be three of us so the cost will be approx. $120.00. I was just asking to see if there were other excursions that our money (and time) would be better spent on. Some people will have really enjoyed the lumberjack show :D and others will have thought it a silly waste of time.:mad: It is very hard to ask such subjective questions on this board because you get so many different replies.

I probably should not have posted this question. I fully realize that everyone has a different take on all the excursions. There will be three of us so the cost will be approx. $120.00. I was just asking to see if there were other excursions that our money (and time) would be better spent on. Some people will have really enjoyed the lumberjack show :D and others will have thought it a silly waste of time.:mad: It is very hard to ask such subjective questions on this board because you get so many different replies.

I don't think there was anything wrong with your asking your question and my only problem was that your wording did not reveal what the per person cost would be. Clearly the answer might be different if the show cost $120 pp rather than $35. Given how expensive some Alaska excursions can be, it was important to specify that the number you quoted was for three people, not one.

As you mentioned, the value of such shows will vary considerably according to how much the individuals queried enjoyed the show. If you think that from the description that is offered, that you would enjoy the show and don't mind spending $35 pp, go for it. If not, check out your other options.:)

We went to this last May while cruising on Royal Caribbean. We were a group of six with one person having some mobility issues. She did not have a problem walking to the Lumberjack show. We enjoyed the show, it seemed like it could be a little lame to some, but they did a good job of showing you different logging skills. They made a contest of it with the audience by dividing us into two teams and you cheered for your team of loggers. It would be great for kids because it is good clean fun. The people in the show were great. I was a little leary of it when my brother suggested going but really enjoyed the show. It is a fairly inexpensive excursion by Alaskan standards.

As so often happens, the thread took a few detours from the original posting but as a result much advice ensued. Thank you.

For first timers to Alaska with eight young children, I think it will perfectly suit our needs to expose the children to a flavour of Alaskan history. I wasn't expecting a sophisticated or fine arts performance, just hoping for good clean fun and laughter with a bit of history thrown in for good measure. Thanks Lets get goin' for your reassurance that we're in for a fun few hours.

Unfortunately with a group of 16 we cannot possibly afford Alaska's many expensive options. But the grandchildren are young, all under 11, so they'll have a life time to explore in real depth. This trip is simply designed as a family celebration, our 45th anniversary, and an opportunity to whet the appetites of the wondergrands for travel.

I don't think there was anything wrong with your asking your question and my only problem was that your wording did not reveal what the per person cost would be.

But since you haven't been to the show, you don't know whether it's worth 10 bucks or 60 - and the people who have been to the show do know the answer to whether or not its worth whatever it is they paid.

As so often happens, the thread took a few detours from the original posting but as a result much advice ensued. Thank you.

For first timers to Alaska with eight young children, I think it will perfectly suit our needs to expose the children to a flavour of Alaskan history. I wasn't expecting a sophisticated or fine arts performance, just hoping for good clean fun and laughter with a bit of history thrown in for good measure. Thanks Lets get goin' for your reassurance that we're in for a fun few hours.

Unfortunately with a group of 16 we cannot possibly afford Alaska's many expensive options. But the grandchildren are young, all under 11, so they'll have a life time to explore in real depth. This trip is simply designed as a family celebration, our 45th anniversary, and an opportunity to whet the appetites of the wondergrands for travel.

I think it will be perfect for your group! I would suggest after walking to Creek Street as that is pretty scenic and just about 3 blocks from the lumberjack show. There are some cute shops in there.

But since you haven't been to the show, you don't know whether it's worth 10 bucks or 60 - and the people who have been to the show do know the answer to whether or not its worth whatever it is they paid.

But you will have to admit that the price might make a significant difference as to whether or not it was worth the cost. I may not have been to the show but I think that if I knew the actual cost and read the description I could form an opinion as to whether or not I wanted to take the risk of attending. Saying that the show will cost $130 without specifying how many people that cost included didn't provide sufficient information.:)

I do think it was a short walk. Maybe not necessarily easy--the hard part was when you had to walk on all those logs rolling in the water to get there. On the way there, we had grandma fall off a log and then an iceberg almost hit her. LOL. Okay, I might be full of crap.

I do know that for the price of this show, you could go to Branson, MO and get an all-day pass at Silver Dollar City. A lumberjack show with all the same events (albeit with a hillbilly theme) is but one of the things you get. Generally speaking, if there's a cheaper & better version of something in the lower-48 (and there's any chance you'll be swinging by there sometime), I prefer to just do that.

Archived