Should we try Regent

wwinfl91

Hi,

My wife and I have been on 20 cruises (see below) on HAL, Princess, RCL, Disney, Celebrity, Costa and Carnival since 1997. We have done the most cruises on HAL. We are currently both 63 and my wife has had health problems the last couple of years that have limited her mobility slightly.

We were on the Tahitian Princess for a 14 day Alaskan cruise 2 years ago and loved the size of the ship. It was easy to get around and had plenty of things for us to do so smaller ship size doesn't bother us.

While we probably can afford Regent, I worry that the higher price won't be worth the difference in the cruise experience. On most of our recent cruises on other lines we have had either a balcony or suite cabin so the price difference is a little less than if we had previously been in inside cabins.

We are not big drinkers, I drink a lot more than my wife but do enjoy wine with dinner and a before or after dinner drink. A beer or glass of wine on the balcony as the sun sets over the horizon is pretty much standard for us. My question here is do they offer a free or complimentary "sweeter" wine (i.e. a blush or rhine)? My wife only drinks them and not other more high end wines. What beers are offered free?

I noticed that Regent is offering a special with excursions (not all of them) are included in the price of the cruise. They are also offering free air travel, which we wouldn't need since we live in Florida, where the cruises I am looking at originate. How are the "free" excursions from anyone who has done the ship's excursions.

Every review I see says the food and service are excellent and since tips are included in the cost of the cruise the only tips required are for "exemplary" service. Is this really the case or is it like when HAL used to claim tips were not required but they really were?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Have a great next cruise.

First off, they absolutely have the sweeter wines and will bring them to you instantly when you ask. I couldn't really tell you what beers are offered, because neither of us drinks beer, but our friends who do always seem satisfied so there must be quite a variety.

As to tips, they mean exactly what they say; tips are included in your fare. They suggest that for service above and beyond, you might want to make a donation to the crew welfare fund, which is done at the hotel desk. We have sailed on Mariner (2), Voyager (2) and Navigator (4), and have another Navigator cruise booked for next year. The crew members on Navigator are the happiest, friendliest people you could want to meet. Our experience on the other two ships were equally positive, but it's been a couple of years so I can't state the fact as adamantly as I can with Navigator.

We haven't experienced the free excursions yet, but Regent has always limited the number of passengers on each excursion so there won't be crowding and pushing.

Am I a Regent cheerleader? Maybe, although I do recognize when there is a shortcoming and don't hesitate to mention it to the powers that be. I don't see that coming to a chat board and complaining does much good, so I am prone to go "to the source".

Thnaks for the reply Pam. My wife will be happy to hear that they have sweeter wines available.

She has gone thru cancer treatment over the last 3 years including surgery twice and is looking at more treatment over the next couple of months. Last time she had to do chemo we did a cruise on her "good" weeks between treatments and that is what I am considering planning now.

Thanks again and have a great next cruise.

We completed a cruise two weeks ago where we experienced our first "included" excursions. They were very well done -- we were impressed!

It is difficult to compare mainstream cruise lines with a luxury line such as Regent. It doesn't matter that you don't drink much. Whatever it is that you wish to drink (except extremely top shelf -- above the level of Grey Goose or Bombay Sapphire) you can have. No signing for anything. And, "tips" are not required for "exemplary" service. Only if a member of the crew went above and beyond their scope of duty would we tip (for instance, if they obtained medication on shore that you or your wife needed). All of their service is exemplary -- the best way to show appreciation is a donation to the crew fund!

...They are also offering free air travel, which we wouldn't need since we live in Florida, where the cruises I am looking at originate....

The air travel is not really "free", of course, but is included in the price of the cruise. The good part of that for you is that you will receive a credit for the airfare portion of the cruise fare if you do not use it, lowering the price of the cruise for you. Have your agent supply prices with and without the air for comparison.

Archived