Missing The Boat!

MURRAY557

I was reading a thread wherein the OP asked about excursions. An experienced cruiser replied they should book through the ship if they are not good planners and are not familiar with the ports, that way they can avoid being left at the port. That scares me! I'm going on my first cruise in July. How much time do they allow over the limit before they pull off without you? What if you're on an excursion and the driver has car trouble? How often do people get left in ports of call? How do you get back onto your ship?:eek:

Murray: I've only sailed on HAL so my experience is limited to what happens with their excursions, but here is the general rule: if you go off on your own or if you use an indepent excursion/tour operator, it is your responsiblity to be back on board before the scheduled departure time-the Captain is not obligated to wait for you. Whether they will wait for you or not is probably dictated by several factors, but don't count on them waiting. Play it safe and be walking up the gangway 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

If you book an excursion through the cruise line, it has been our experience that if your excursion is delayed and all other factors being equal, that is, the weather is not rapidly deteriorating to the point that it would be hazardous for the ship to remain in port, the ship WILL wait for you. We have been on a couple of HAL-arranged excursions when our bus has been the last to arrive back, and ship was there both times, but ready to depart ASAP.

If you use an independent tour operator, ask them in advance, what their contingency plan is for getting you back to the ship in time, in the event of a mechanical breakdown. If they don't have one, then weigh the risks. Always keep tabs on the weather, especially if you are out on your own.

People DO get left, but not many. If you use common sense and plan properly, the odds are greatly in your favor that you won't be left standing on the pier as your ship pulls away.

Murray:

People do get left at ports. When, as you are leaving port, you hear an announcement asking for Mr or Mrs. X of Cabin XXX to contact the Pursers Desk, it usually means that they were not checked in at the gangway. The ship assumes they are being left behind, but is double checking.

In spite of the risk, we no longer take ship tours. Not only do they not accomodate my disabled husband, but we enjoy them more. We can tailor them to our interests and stay as long as we want at each stop. It almost always saves us money too.

To lower the risk we always plan to be back well before the sailing time. Generally we plan to be back at least an hour early. However in some of the Mediterranean ports such as Florence where the city was 90 minutes from the port, we made sure we were back an hour early to accomodate traffic or other issues. Once we get back, we may go out again if there is something to do within walking distance of the pier so the time is not always "wasted."

One caution, though. Ship time and shore time are not always the same. The time that the ship leaves is based on ship time so make sure you do not rely on clocks ashore.

The ship will not wait one minute past their scheduled departure time unless it's a ship sponsored tour that's late. If you're on your own, and you're late getting back to port, you are responsible for getting yourself to the next port of call, and you don't get a refund for the time you miss on the ship. The other problem that presents is that if your ID's are still on the ship. When you cruise into a port, you don't need a passport, but if you fly into or out of some islands, they require a passport.

One thing to know. If you are in a tender port, you absolutely must be on the last tender, which usually leaves 45 minutes before sailing time.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is, don't ever be late for a sailing because it's much more problems than it's worth.

If you go on a tour of your own, be sure you take with you the contact number for the ship's agent at that port. If something does happen to your tour they can contact the agent and he can contact the ship and update them on your status. They may give you a few extra minutes if you need it or he can help you get to the next port.

With the wide use of cell phones these days an operator can usuaaly be able to contact a cab or something else to get you back to the ship. Just leave a hour or so (depending on distance you will be from the ship) extra cushion to get back to the ship.smile.gif

When we first started cruising, we always used the ships excursions because of the same fears you stated that you had. But after hearing fellow cruisers talk about their wonderful experiences with private tour operators, we decided to give it a try and have never looked back.;)

When we book our own tour thru a local tour operator, the group is always small and intimate. We get more individualized attention and are usually bussed around in a small air conditioned van rather than a large packed tour bus. And the tour usually costs about half the price too. Overall, it's the best way to go.:D

But be sure to book a tour that's over and at the dock at least a couple of hours before you leave. You never know what havoc traffic or weather might create. We've been booking our own tours thru local tour operators for years and have never been left behind. Though the previous posters are correct, some do get left behind. But I think they are the people who don't plan anything and just pick a tour operator right there on the dock when they arrive. They may save a little bit of money that way, but they also risk getting back too late.:rolleyes:

If you plan ahead of time and pick a company with a good reputation, you'll have a blast and save some money too!

When we were in Nassau, it did appear that someone may have gotten left behind. A woman appeared to be urging the crew to wait for her husband. They continued dismantling the gangway, and basically left as soon as they had it all disassembled and stowed. We never did find out if the man was onboard or not, but if he was onboard it surely wasn't known to the crew or his wife before we left port. FWIW.

Here's one GUARANTY that you can take to the bank. If the excursion that you've purchased from the cruise line breaks down and you are late getting back to the ship the ship WILL NOT, repeat WILL NOT leave without you. I know this for an absolute FACT because our excursion boat broke down and they held the ship for us.

Now if you buy your own excursion independently and you are late getting to the ship they will not wait for you and you are SOL.

All that said. On big ticket excursions like glacier helicopter touring you can typically buy the excursion noticably cheaper on your own in advance and the excursion company will still pick you up at the dock and bring you back safe and sound.

We have not taken ship's tours-we had so much fun, planning and customizing our own excursions at much less cost. The only time I would take a ships excursion was if I was planning to go a long distance from the ship and the timing appeared to be too tight. Just plan to be back in the area of the pier 1 hour before your ship leaves. You can almost always find a few things to do right at the pier within view of the ship. From what I've seen those that get left behind often have been partying and lose track of time. Or they get confused with the ships' time versus local time.

Best advice for how to plan your own excusion. First look at the ships excursions to get an idea what they offer...what might you be interested in. Then go to the Port's of call section of the boards, click on the Ports you plan to visit and start reading previous posts. You might want to read back a few weeks or months (depending on how many posts there are) You will quickly begin to read reviews, positive and negative of excursions people have done. Often local tour operators are recommended. Check out their websites. Don't be afraid to post your questions. I'm sure you will find some great excursions and good deals. Have fun planning...it makes your cruise even more special!

now know to have my keester on the ship at least 45 minutes before it's set to sail. Again, thanks everyone.:D

Have that keester on board at least 30 minutes before sailing. That is what will be told to you before youset foot in a port. If you are leaving at 4:00 eeryone should be onboard by 3:30

If you are looking to take a private tour... know that an all day excursion should be done through the ship.. ex Tulum from Cozumel. (takes 7-8 hours) some have done it themselves....but that traffic our day we went ws horrendouse. That is the only tour we booked through the ship after our first cruise which we did every tour though Carnival.

I agree with most of what has been said except that we have seen ships hold at the dock for stragglers who were not on ship excursions.

First port of our first cruise we watched as several people made their way (in no particular hurry) back to the ship ½ hour after the scheduled departure time. The crew was waving them to hurry but it had no effect.

Charlie (Who gets back at least an hour before departure)

I cannot imagine they'll pull up the gangway with a passenger running down the pier. It seemed clear to me that the officers were watching the pier very closely while shuffling the man's wife aboard ship. I'd hope they'd not "shut the door" knowing that a passenger was within sight.

I can actually say I know someone who missed the ship. They luckily were able to take the pilot boat out and had to climb up a rope ladder. (It was my boss on her first cruise and the one thing I told her was to make sure she set her watch to ships time and make sure she allows extra time to make it back to the ship as it will leave without her)

Always carry with you into the port....a credit card with a significant available balance....just in case.

I also heard the crew paging a couple as we were leaving St Maarten. Paged about 5 times..... before the ship left...and afterwards.

I asked the crew....and they smiled (not inappropriately) and stated that the people did not make it back on board.

On a different trip to St Maarten, we had rented a car for the day. Near the end of the day.....we got into some traffic. We were at a complete stand still for about 20 minutes. I even got out of our car...and went into a Pharmacy to get some medicine for my daughter's burn. I told my DH to pull over if the traffic started to move. It didn't....and I just returned to my car after shopping.

In San Juan, we were in a Taxi.....and the traffic just stopped. A few cars in front of us...was a truck. He just stopped his truck, got out....and went into a store...to make a delivery! There was no way to get around him. He leasurely came out about 5 minutes later...and got into his truck. A routine day for him. Horns honking, etc..

Just know that things operate a little differently on the Islands. You are on "Island Time".....and you may just have to wait! :rolleyes:

We almost missed the ship in St. Thomas a few years ago. We were shopping and lost track of the time but fortunately we found a cabbie that knew all the shortcuts back to the pier (through alleys, etc.). We made it with just a couple of minutes to spare and the ship was pulling away from the dock before we even got to the elevator. It was kind of funny because when we pulled up to the ship three or four crew members were standing on the gangway and they smiled and said "So nice of you to join us". Wouldn't have been too funny to get left behind, I guess.

When booking our own excursions, I make sure that I book them in the morning so that if there are any problems, we will have time to make it back to the ship. We will then go to a nearby beach or shopping to end our shore time. My daughter is going on her first cruise this fall. She asked me if I ever worried about missing the ship. I told her "every time, that's why I plan ahead."

There are a lot of good hints in this thread.

You will have a marvelous cruise!

I can actually say I know someone who missed the ship. They luckily were able to take the pilot boat out and had to climb up a rope ladder. (It was my boss on her first cruise and the one thing I told her was to make sure she set her watch to ships time and make sure she allows extra time to make it back to the ship as it will leave without her)

I've seen this happen too. Ship pulling out of Key West had passengers delivered with the Pilot boat and then slowed down 10 minutes later for another boat speeding towards it carrying 6 more passengers that missed the boat!! They had chartered someone to carry them out to the ship -- I heard it cost them a pretty penny!

June

Archived