Box wine - anyone pack and have a problem?

brenderlou

We will be on a 10 night cruise in March and I was going to pack a box of wine (yes, there are some good ones out there :)) in hopes that it makes it to our cabin.

We usually pack a couple of bottles of wine and have never had a problem so was just seeing if anyone has packed a boxed wine and if anyone flagged it.

Thanks

I always pack a Black Box and have never had a problem! I usually double bag it in the big ziplocs just in case of a puncture, but that has never happened.

Yup, that's the wine I get too...Black Box. We live very close to the port so the box has a short trip from our home to our cabin and then into the fridge :).

Sorry for the dumb question, but do you advise to put in in your check luggage rather than your carryon?

Since Royal Caribbean doesn't allow any alcohol to be brought on board, I am always fearful of packing our "stash" in our carry-on. I just feel it has a better chance of being taken in carry-on but I'm probably just being parinoid :eek:

Always in your checked luggage. I also put vodka or other spirits in larger water bottles...even bring mixers for the cabin. Have done this on 8 cruises and have never had a problem!

LOL!!!! My mother-in-law is a vodka drinker and she does the same thing when she goes on a cruise. She calls it her "special water"!!!!

Yes, checked luggage and I usally bubble wrap it for extra safety! Whatever your preference, I've done Captain in iced tea bottles....whatever the color determines your bottle, just in case. Like I said, 8 cruises and never a problem!

Doesn't RCI allow wine? Sorry but I've cruised CCL mostly and they allow it. I've brought a box of wine in my carry on luggage on Carnival and it goes right thru.

Nope, RCI does not allow ANY alcohol to be brought onboard. Lots of folks sneak it on in their checked bags, and also in rum runners (see above post), but it's taking a chance. Lots of folks on these boards have reported having their booze confiscated for the duration of the cruise, and then returned to them at the end of the cruise. Not worth the aggravation, or embarrassment, IMO...:eek:

Karen

For us, not an aggrevation to throw a box of wine in our luggage. We are aware of Royal Caribbean's policy and have never had a problem.

We also have the attitude that if they do confiscate...oh well but it's worth the effort & we've never had a problem!!! :)

I feel that they know that alcohol is coming on board. If they see something that is just too much they will confiscate but that's just my theory.

What about those people flying to port? Wouldn't a box wine package expand during flight causing the wine to burst? I only ask because I recall taking a large coffee container (Plastic one) through a checked bag, and after arriving at my destination the seal was almost blown open on the top from the pressurization.

Watching this one with interest-Black Box zinfandel is one of the only zinfandels I've found that consistently doesn't give me a terrible headache. I didn't think I'd be able to enjoy a glass or two of wine on vacation (don't love the idea of buying by the glass and not drinking more than a few sips before wanting to cry...), so this would be great. I'd even happily pay their corkage fee if I were able to carry it on by hand!

This may be port specific but I recently came back from an AOS sailing out of Peurto Rico and was called to security because of " something in my checked luggage"during embarkation. The x-ray machine was showing an black box in my luggage. I was asked to open my luggage and show them what was inside. I had brought along juice boxes for my 4yr DD and that's what was causing the issue. They had no problem with the juice boxes, but I am guessing that a wine box will have the same problem and that will be taken away.

Lisa

I have used Rum Runners on our past 2 cruises without incident. My wife has taken her wine in the Rum Runners as well. On our last cruise on Liberty she took two bottles and had no trouble. I find to be more of a hassel when mixing but for her wine it works out great.

Maybe it was because it was near spring break, but Iv been on cruises where everyone's was confiscated. One guy was bringing a special bottle to a crewmember and not even that bottle was allowed to be delivered to the crew member.

One cruise they made us wait until the morning of departure and pick up bought booze at 6:30 am, they said because too many underage drinkers onboard.

This was early april when I seem to usually do a RCL cruise.

Archived