*VIDEO* Journal & Review: Carnival Splendor, Dec 13 - 20, 2009; PV, PV Day 2, & Cabo

mathgeek1978

Wednesday, Dec 16th, 2009.

Puerto Vallarta

We have never visited PV and neither of us spoke any Spanish, so we thought it would be on the safe side if we took a city tour. So we purchased the Mismaloya City Tour excursion.

We would soon find out that we would be better off exploring the Downtown and Malecon areas ourselves.

First of all, we would save the $40 per person charge for the excursion. Secondly, the tour was more of a shopping tour than a sight-seeing tour. It appeared that their main objective is to take us to all the pre-selected stores and to make sure we have enough time to stay there and shop. We were given very little time (maybe 15 minutes) to explore the Broadwalk which was hardly enough time.

Moreover, we would find out that in the Downtown tourist area, about 90% of the people there were Americans (if you must communicate with somebody) and all the Mexicans there spoke English.

Our first stop was The Church of Our Lady Guadalupe, which was the highlight of the entire tour. We were given about 20 minutes there, just enough time to shoot a good video.

To be continued…

The Church of Our Lady Guadalupe.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

One of the major highlights of our cruise was The Church of Our Lady Guadalupe in Puerto Vallarta. Not only is it an architectural masterpiece, it is also a monument of important religious and cultural significance in Mexico.

Being Catholics ourselves, our visit to the Church of Our Lady Guadalupe had special meanings and significance to us. We were greatly touched by the opportunity to visit this Church, and we found the experience both humbling and enlightening. We felt so blessed to be there, and we wish you’ll be able to share the same experience, too.

Even if you are not a Christian or Catholic, you can still appreciate its architecture as well as its beauty and elegance. The snow-white interior was very inviting – both to Christians and non-Christians – and it made you feel very comfortable and peaceful once inside the church.

Should you want to visit this Church, do NOT take any of those city tours. Take a cab Downtown. It’s $3 per person (sometimes the cab won’t leave until it’s full, but it’s nothing more than a 5-minute wait). From the Downtown area, explore the Broadwalk (Malecon), all the shops and restaurants, and of course, the Church of Our Lady Guadalupe.

Are you using Microsoft live movie maker? I ask because I want to do our San Fran vacation in video

No, I found the capabilities of Microsoft Movie Maker rather limited.

I use Magix Movie Edit Pro 15. Note that this is NOT user friendly, although it has the most features and capabilities. It is quite sophisticated. It's more of a geeky kind of software. Not easy to use, but the end result is great.

While there are so many sales after Christmas, You could be shoppping around for Pinnacle Studio 14 or Adobe Element and see if you can find a good bargain.

There are many softwares available. Go to a Best Buy, Frys, or similar and shop around.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas. Did Santa give you a cruise?:)

Puerto Vallarta Day Two

We were sort of disappointed by the City Tour excursion and was hoping that sometime in the future, we would have the opportunity to visit Puerto Vallarta again, and to be able to explore the wonderful Malecon.

Well, that opportunity came the following day. As most of you who have been following my LIVE thread and other CC threads would know, the Splendor got into a fender bender and had to stay in PV for a second day for repairs.

This was a welcomed opportunity. And we spent PV day #2 enjoying the scenic Boardwalk, exploring and appreciating the bronze sculptures, each of which has important cultural and historical significance to Puerto Vallarta.

Coming up... A complete video review of the Boardwalk. There will be 3 videos, showing you everything on the Boardwalk that you shouldn't miss. :cool:

You did such a nice job with this review..We will be on the Splendor in July..Thank you for taking the the time to do this! Lis

Thanks for your kind comment. It's really appreciated. I'm glad you are enjoying this. I'll posting more new videos soon, so stayed tuned. :)

Video #11

The Boardwalk (Malecon) Part I

Here’s a simple guide to you: Take a cab Downtown and tell the driver to take you to the Boardwalk. He will most likely take you near Hotel Rosita or Senor Frog. Wherever he drops you off, you should be able to easily spot the beginning of the walk by looking for a very long and tall sculpture called the Millennium, as shown in the very beginning of the video. This is where you’ll start.

You should be able to see all the sculptures and status featured in this video. If you miss something, then you’re walking too fast. Note that you’ll also see some sand sculptures along the walk, which will be featured in a separate video.

The entire walk is about one and a quarter miles. Enjoy this wonderful and scenic walk at your leisure, spending just a few hours or an entire day there. On the other side of the walk, there are plenty of restaurants and bars to satisfy your thirst and appetite. There are also plenty of shops and bargains are everywhere.

And here’s video #11:

Any questions? Feel free to ask! And your comments are always welcomed.

I have been following your cruise reporting faithfully and want to thank you for providing such wonderful reporting and videos of your cruise. I am sailing on the Splendor in February and have loved all the information you have provided.

How often did they close the "ceiling" over the main pool area? Was it closed for the first day or so as you sailed away from Long Beach?

I am guessing that the first and last days might be the coolest days weather wise. Will long sleeve shirts be adequate or is it cool enough to wear sweatshirts?

How cool were the evenings during the deck parties?

I am traveling by myself. Do you think that Puerto Vallerta would be safe enough to visit the downtown and historic areas by myself?

Thanks!

I have been following your cruise reporting faithfully and want to thank you for providing such wonderful reporting and videos of your cruise. I am sailing on the Splendor in February and have loved all the information you have provided.

How often did they close the "ceiling" over the main pool area? Was it closed for the first day or so as you sailed away from Long Beach?

As I can recall, it was closed on the last sea day, as we were returning to Long Beach. The captain could close it anytime, when the weather is cold enough or if it's raining.

I am guessing that the first and last days might be the coolest days weather wise. Will long sleeve shirts be adequate or is it cool enough to wear sweatshirts?

Once you are inside, it's air conditioned and is very warm. However it would be cold at the pier, especially when standing in line OUTSIDE the terminal building. I would suggest a sweater.

How cool were the evenings during the deck parties?

By Tuesday, it's warm. The deck party nights were in the 70's. During the day it was in the mid - high 80's.

I am traveling by myself. Do you think that Puerto Vallerta would be safe enough to visit the downtown and historic areas by myself?

Yes -- if you STAY WITHIN the main tourist area, pretty much the Boardwalk on my video. Most days there are 2 cruise ships there and there will be hundreds if not thousands of American tourists around.

Thanks!

Thanks for following my review. Enjoy your cruise!

To further clarify my last reply, it's also safe to visit the Church. The most direct way to get to the Church is to walk up there when you are near the Arch sculpture.

If you start the tour just like my video, you will eventually approach this:

IMGA0481.jpg

(Note that there are a few more sculptures beyond this)

To your left, you will see the Church:

IMGA0495.jpg

From there it's just about 1 - 2 blocks away.

You'll also notice that you have a MUCH better view of the Church's crown when viewed from the Boardwalk than upclose.

Video #12

The Boardwalk (Malecon) Part II – Sand Sculptures

Here’s something that you really don’t want to miss on the Boardwalk: Sand Sculptures. Let’s just say that a video is worth a thousand words, so I’ll just let you guys enjoy the next clip.

Note that the artists had a “tips box” out there on the sidewalk. If you take a lot of pictures or shoot a lot of videos (like I did), a couple of dollars of tips are expected. I was there a good 20 minutes to shoot this video and I tipped each artist $2.

Here’s video #12:

We are going on this cruise in March and I heard on the last sea day back the water and ride is pretty rough. How was it for you?

We had a smooth sailing and calm seas all the way -- nothing more than an ocassional wave that would make you sway a little while walking. I guess it's all seasonal. Hopefully you'll have calm seas all the way too.

Archived