DH 's been called for Jury Duty during Cruise

GlenandVal

OMG he just opened his mail, he s been called for Jury Duty on January 25, but our cruise on the Marier leaves LA on January 24, OMG OMG OMG it states that the only way he can get out of it is to claim he is mentally incompetent, or if he commits a crime but then no cruise anyways haha

I smiled and said perhaps I can crusie alone in our cabin, or with my mom, and my step father and their friend in the other room

that could happen,

but DH and I are in different rooms ( were told to do this a couple years ago by LA) ( we re both Diamond members

anyone know what he can do ?

He needs to respond within 5 days ........

I just finished jury duty in a federal case. And while all judges are different, they let people go for myriad reasons besides being a criminal. In some cases, our judge let people go just because they were the only one to watch the kids. If the judge learns during voir dire that your husband is going to lose the amount of money he would lose for cancelling his cruise, someone is going to cut him loose whether its the judge or counsel. Just a lay prediction.

He needs to phone the clerk of the court (or whoever is referenced on his notice) and have a conversation about this long planned vacation, with nonrefundable tickets, etc.

He might as well try to get his jury service rescheduled.

OMG he just opened his mail, he s been called for Jury Duty on January 25, but our cruise on the Marier leaves LA on January 24, OMG OMG OMG it states that the only way he can get out of it is to claim he is mentally incompetent, or if he commits a crime but then no cruise anyways haha

I smiled and said perhaps I can crusie alone in our cabin, or with my mom, and my step father and their friend in the other room

that could happen,

but DH and I are in different rooms ( were told to do this a couple years ago by LA) ( we re both Diamond members

I see you are from Canada so your laws policies might not be the same as ours. You do not say what level court the jury duty is for. In my area of US, you are allow to request to not serve or delay your "service" for documented reasons. If you were to state that you had already made final payment on a cruise from this date to this date and will not be fully refunded if you cancel and could show documentation of this, you would be able to skip or delay. Your name would then be put back in the pool for service the next round. Needless to say, YMMV...... :)

I have never served. Whenever my name is drawn I tell them the anesthesia group I work for will need time to get a replacement for me and I always get a letter back telling me I am exempted "this time". But they have done that at least 4 times over the years. :o

that could happen,

Rules are different in Canada than the US, however you can contact the court to let them know you are scheduled to be out of town and it would cost you a great deal of money to cancel. The Canadian court system will usually let you off. Here in Ontario there is a form that comes with their form or you can have a lawyer or someone with authority write a letter for you giving the circumstances. (Not a letter from yourself). This has to be submitted asap so they can let you know you've been excused.

DH gets one from his employer everytime he's called and he's excused each time.

Just FYI, the clerk doesn't decide who will serve and who's excuse is legitimate. So thinking you're going to call the courthouse and get excused is to misunderstand the process.

The judge alone can decide who is and isn't excused. The attorneys will each have a set number of "for cause" dismissals and one or two "peremptory challenges" that the judge may or may not honor. But when you fill out the jury summons response and include a reason "why you may not serve" ... that is just a note that helps the judge know in advance who is coming into the courtroom with a desire to be released.

Your husband will have to sit through the voire dire process at least.

Just FYI, the clerk doesn't decide who will serve and who's excuse is legitimate. So thinking you're going to call the courthouse and get excused is to misunderstand the process.

The judge alone can decide who is and isn't excused. The attorneys will each have a set number of "for cause" dismissals and one or two "peremptory challenges" that the judge may or may not honor. But when you fill out the jury summons response and include a reason "why you may not serve" ... that is just a note that helps the judge know in advance who is coming into the courtroom with a desire to be released.

I'm assuming it works different in the US than Canada because what you are saying isn't accurate for Canada. You can be excused from jury duty far before the actual date iwth reason and a job can be a reason as can school and many other reasons and even on the day of they will excuse people for a variety of reasons before they ask any questions. There are a number of questions the judge asks everyone at the same time and if you fall under any of those questions you are immediately excused.

Do not give you the luxury of waiting.

Contact the clerk, find out specifics on how to request a delay. DO NOT WAIT! The clerk can direct your next step.

Canadian law is so different from US law, anyone posting from the perspective of the US is purely guessing!

We were getting along so well that I hate to disagree with you here.... ;) :D

but if you are talking the US, this is not necessarily so. It must depend on the level court or area. Because I never had to go to court. I filled out my "response" form and listed the work issues (an OR has to be closed down if there is no anesthesia provider available) with the number for them to call for verification. Now I don't know who looked at form or who made the decision to grant exemption but a letter arrives in the mail the next week telling me I am excused. This has happen on a number of occasions.

I'm assuming it works different in the US than Canada because what you are saying isn't accurate for Canada. You can be excused from jury duty far before the actual date iwth reason and a job can be a reason as can school and many other reasons and even on the day of they will excuse people for a variety of reasons before they ask any questions. There are a number of questions the judge asks everyone at the same time and if you fall under any of those questions you are immediately excused.

In US Federal court, it's pretty informal once you're in the courtroom. The judge will do a quick poll of who (seated in the juror's box) has a reason why they think they won't be able to serve. A few people raise their hands, and she or he just goes down the line, "Why?".

I see we were posting the same thing. It is the same for US that you can be excused far before the actual dates of service listed......

I just finished jury duty in a federal case. And while all judges are different, they let people go for myriad reasons besides being a criminal. In some cases, our judge let people go just because they were the only one to watch the kids. If the judge learns during voir dire that your husband is going to lose the amount of money he would lose for cancelling his cruise, someone is going to cut him loose whether its the judge or counsel. Just a lay prediction.

Just how do you expect the husband to attend voir dire on the 25th if he is supposed to be boarding the Mariner in Los Angeles and headed for Mexico on the 24th?

Well in California we just go online and reschedule if the date doesnt work for us Or in the past we send a letter explaining why and I have always been released if i needed to

While I, too, have no knowledge of the Canadian court system, I've been working with the U.S. court system for nearly 40 years and my cousin is chief clerk of our county court. What you say is true, EXCEPT all of this takes place AFTER you have reported for duty and AFTER you have been chosen to sit for a particular case. Prior to that, it IS a clerk who decides whether or not you need to report on a given day - judges are NOT involved in this process. With a good excuse (and having non-refundable cruise tickets is, indeed, a good excuse), your name will be thrown back into the pool and you will be called on another date.

This will be impossible to do since the OP leaves on the cruise the day before the court meets. :rolleyes:

I have always been able to call the courthouse and talked with a clerk to be excused. They will just reschedule you.;)

This will be impossible to do since the OP leaves on the cruise the day before the court meets. :rolleyes:

I have always been able to call the courthouse and talked with a clerk to be excused. They will just reschedule you.;)

Well let's hope that's an option. That would suck to lose a cruise.

In US Federal court, it's pretty informal once you're in the courtroom. The judge will do a quick poll of who (seated in the juror's box) has a reason why they think they won't be able to serve. A few people raise their hands, and she or he just goes down the line, "Why?".

thanks everyone for your quick replies to our most strange crusie dilemima

Glenn will photo copy our cruise docements and tell them if is willing to do Jury Duty but not at this exact time

hope it is ok otherwise once we are back in the country he may be arested kidding but.

I am not from Canada. I can only tell you what I just experienced from a Petite Jury summons that I received 3 days after I sailed on a B2B of appox 35 days. My niece emailed me and advised me that she noticed in my mail a summons for jury duty the day I was to return from vacation. Did I want to try and reschedule?

I emailed my niece back to send a letter to the clerk's office and they rescheduled me to next year with no problems. Her letter simply advised that I was out of the country and was willing to serve but not at this time.

I hope it all works out for you and you have a great cruise. Good Sailing, Murf

My husband got called for jury duty during our cruise. He filled out the card where it asked if you needed to be rescheduled. In the "explaination" he wrote...on a cruise vacation, carnival, pride 1/31/2010 thru 2/7/2010. within a week he received a post card saying he was excused and that they would recall him a few weeks after his original dates. But we are in NJ not Canada, I'm sure they would reschedule though.

Archived