beach bar on Cane Bay

elysams

We are just back from our Summit cruise of Dec 19 and visited Cane Bay and "Eat"....would highly recommend both. The beach was great, chairs and umbrella's are available, as is snorkelling equipment for a reasonable price. Eat was a ton of fun...great atmosphere, drinks and food were excellent too, just order before you get hungry...service was a tad slow, but well worth the wait! This was one of our favorite stops along our cruise and we would definately visit here again.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone??? I'm really considering Cane Bay rather than Sand Castle for a beach day.... We'll have a 9yo with us, wondering what the water is like there - huge surf, steep incline, or gradual? Good sand for building castles? He's an experienced snorkeler and wears a vest, but we don't want to freak him out with an undertow - anyone there somewhat recently that can give me an opinion?

Anyone??? I'm really considering Cane Bay rather than Sand Castle for a beach day.... We'll have a 9yo with us, wondering what the water is like there - huge surf, steep incline, or gradual? Good sand for building castles? He's an experienced snorkeler and wears a vest, but we don't want to freak him out with an undertow - anyone there somewhat recently that can give me an opinion?

Check this one out, they will take you to beach just walk up at ship terminal. I searched this out and its approximatly a $25 deal.

http://www.canebayscuba.com/cruiseships.html

• 5 weeks later...

Here's more info on Cane Bay, from our trip. We just got back, and LOVED Cane Bay - the best of our five stops, IMHO.

We got off the ship and went to the Cane Bay Dive Shop. They told us that as long as we had our own snorkel gear, we may as well just pay taxi fare and not buy their package. They do a ride to & from Cane Bay, a lounger on the beach, and snorkel gear for $32. Just cab fare is $9pp each way ($18), and then it's $10 for a beach chair (so $28 total, save $4!). Anyway, they told us the taxi guy was almost ready to go, he was waiting on four crew members that should be there any minute (ship crew members, it turns out....and they were running VERY late). I think we should have just left when they weren't there at the appointed time, but JMO. So we waited, and waited, and waited... The crew finally came, we crowded in a huge taxi van, and off we went.

St. Croix is beautiful.

Apparently they had been having a lot of rain. There was a huge surf @ Cane Bay, and visibility was poor. My husband tried to snorkel. He fought the waves and got out quite far, but he said he still couldn't see anything. We could tell by the stuff that was washed up on shore that it would be an excellent place to snorkel, but just not the day we were there! The people that went out with the dive boats said that @ about 20 ft. down the visibility got better. Cane Bay has something called "The Wall", where the ocean floor drops and divers like to go. It's an excellent place to snorkel as well - just not that day!

We really liked Cane Bay. Above the Dive Shop there was a restaurant called "Eat @ Cane Bay". Excellent food - we really enjoy good food, and for a beach bar, this place is great. They have a web site (see the previous posts), google it and check out the menu. Hubby had a burger w/bleu cheese and sweet potato fries. I had pepper jack on mine, and wonderful, thick onion rings with a great crunchy crust. 9yo had a burger w/french fries that he said were "the best I've ever had". Those plus a beer, soda, and a margarita came to almost $50, but well worth it. And the best part? The owner of the place helped me carry it down to the beach. Served in lovely wicker baskets ("just bring them back to the bar when you're done"). The whole area around Cane Bay seemed to be populated by expats (or are they considered expats when St. Croix is US?). Up the beach is a beach bar/restaurant called "Off The Wall", owned by expats. Another guy on the beach said they have excellent thin crust pizza.

Anyway - I highly recommend Cane Bay. Our favorite day of the trip - I'm looking into a land-based vacation there, someday!

Rating from 1-10....I give Cane Bay a 9 - it just had a great vibe to it. (we like to snorkel, don't like crowds, scary-looking locals, vendors or rowdy partying, want good bathrooms and beach bar/restaurant.) We don't need a white, powdery sand beach (that usually means the snorkeling won't be so good). We're fine with a more natural-type of beach.

PB130302.jpg

PB130304.jpg

The restaurant/dive shop's dog apparently liked my hubby's guitar playing....

PB130306.jpg

PB130308.jpg

They didn't have a fresh water shower, but you're more than welcome to rinse off in their dive equipment tubs.... 9yo loved it!

PB130305.jpg

PB130303.jpg

It was only $25pp when we went in May, they must have gone up on price. $25 included snorkel gear, chair, and transportation. In addition they had coolers in the shop that had sodas and water for $1 each. We bought several of each and took them to Cane Bay with us.

Archived