RCL - Jungle River, Land Rover and Cave Expedition

I love cruising!

We went with NCL and did this excursion! It is worth it. I have a bunch of photos if you want me to email you them. We took a speed boat for about 45 minutes to the place where the land rovers are. It was neat. We saw some wildlife on the way. We drove the land rovers for about 45 minutes. IT IS VERY VERY BUMPY! Not good for anyone who can not get bumped all around. You drive to the cave and then walk about 1/2 mile to the cave after crossing a suspension type bridge. The Cave part is not for people who are not limber and able to move around. It is as low as three - four feet in places and there are some tight fits. The guides will help you over and through if you need it but it is not a straight walk. Your guides then take you back to where we parked the Land Rovers and enjoy a typical meal for the people of Belize. It was excellent and I am not an experimental eater. Then we boarded an open air "jungle bus" for the ride back to the port. Rum Punch was free from the time of the meal til you got off the bus. The guides were very nice and informative. We paid $89 I believe. It was worth it!

Belize is not as buggy as Cozumel. I didn't hear anyone complaining about it. We actually got bug bites in Cozumel but nothing here. If your very worried about bugs you could bring bug spray but if I went again I wouldn't. I think it would be great for kids. My daughter is 17 and she loved it.

The boat ride is faster then the tender but not outrageously fast. We didnt think of it at the time but we did not see any life vests on the boat which we might ask about next time as when we were in Cozumel we actually witnessed a boat with tourists on it capsize. (They all had vests and they all survived)

The excursion is pretty active so no sandals or flip flops. Also the cave portion is optional. Its cool. They give you headlamps but its still dark and there are HUGE spiders that they point out. The younger kids would have to pay good attention to the directions of the guide to get through the cave. Its not dangerous but there is no wandering.

I am emailing you more photos. Here is the spider

Belize is not as buggy as Cozumel. I didn't hear anyone complaining about it. We actually got bug bites in Cozumel but nothing here. If your very worried about bugs you could bring bug spray but if I went again I wouldn't. I think it would be great for kids. My daughter is 17 and she loved it.

The boat ride is faster then the tender but not outrageously fast. We didnt think of it at the time but we did not see any life vests on the boat which we might ask about next time as when we were in Cozumel we actually witnessed a boat with tourists on it capsize. (They all had vests and they all survived)

The excursion is pretty active so no sandals or flip flops. Also the cave portion is optional. Its cool. They give you headlamps but its still dark and there are HUGE spiders that they point out. The younger kids would have to pay good attention to the directions of the guide to get through the cave. Its not dangerous but there is no wandering.

100_4339.jpg.b64bab445def785a70f2935fc8008ce7.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello we would love to see you pics for this excurison. This will be our first time In Belize and hope we dont miss the must do's and not sure if we should do another excurision or is this one the best, we've seen so many ruins in Europe not sure if we want to see more lol my email is lmasi222@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

I did this with Carnival. Best excursion ever! The open boat picked us up from the ship and we headed up river. It was winding and beautiful. Then you stop at a pretty park to get the Land Rover (which is old, old, old) and on to the cave on first p aved then unpaved roads. 2 horses jumped right in front of our truck. The suspension bridge is spooky to cross. The cave is warm and some parts very tight. Lots of bats.

Lunch after was okay. All the rum punch you want on the drive back was great. I'm doing it again in Sept.

Don't forget buy spray.

I did this with Carnival. Best excursion ever! The open boat picked us up from the ship and we headed up river. It was winding and beautiful. Then you stop at a pretty park to get the Land Rover (which is old, old, old) and on to the cave on first p aved then unpaved roads. 2 horses jumped right in front of our truck. The suspension bridge is spooky to cross. The cave is warm and some parts very tight. Lots of bats.

Lunch after was okay. All the rum punch you want on the drive back was great. I'm doing it again in Sept.

Don't forget buy spray.

I think you have convinced us to take this excursion. Where di the bus drop you off at after the excursion? How much time did you have between drop off and the last tender?

• 4 weeks later...

we did the the rover portion first then the boat/river portion which took us directly back to ship. you can put 4-6 in ea vehicle that 'you' drive. We were a group of 4 and no problems. If I recall, there were guides in every third to fourth vehicle but only drove if those did not want to. Enjoy

• 1 month later...

We did this on Oct 18, 2011 with carnival. We had to do the boat ride first. The landrovers are older and quite a bumpy ride. They hold 6 to 8 people. They allow for two drivers. One place to change drivers. Great excursion the fruit is excellent and fresh. Rum punch strong so be careful. The caves would be hard for someone with mobility issues or doesn't like tight spaces. We did not see any crocs or manatees as it had been raining alot. We did see a toucan in the wild and a monkey. The food sold on site is excellent. Our landrover had clutch issues they are all manual transmission and well used. We had a great time. We are outdoors people. You will get hot and dirty. We really enjoyed it and would do it again at a different time of year. Hope this answers your questions.

We did this on Oct 18, 2011 with carnival. We had to do the boat ride first. The landrovers are older and quite a bumpy ride. They hold 6 to 8 people. They allow for two drivers. One place to change drivers. Great excursion the fruit is excellent and fresh. Rum punch strong so be careful. The caves would be hard for someone with mobility issues or doesn't like tight spaces. We did not see any crocs or manatees as it had been raining alot. We did see a toucan in the wild and a monkey. The food sold on site is excellent. Our landrover had clutch issues they are all manual transmission and well used. We had a great time. We are outdoors people. You will get hot and dirty. We really enjoyed it and would do it again at a different time of year. Hope this answers your questions.

Thank you Easy T! We are booked for our November cruise and due to neck issue I was just concerned about the Jeep part. Did you happen to see any bats in the cave, not my favorite creature!

Snow bunny

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived