20 waiter secrets

smeyer418

Well, it was an interesting article,, but seemed only to "quote" about a dozen different servers,, so hardly seemed representative of the whole industry.

I worked in a few places when I was younger,, and never saw most of the things listed,, and I read about the first 10 pages of comments,, and noticed other servers saying they too never witnessed most of listed "secrets".

I did think one comment was especially rude,, and was glad to see how many posters commented on it ,, the girl said she thought servers were "disgusting losers",, nice attitude. Trust me,, she would be the one person who deserves to have her food dropped .. LOL

I worked as a server for about 5 years when I was in school. A few things they noted were true for my experiences ... like the fork in the cobbler (although it usually was a cobbler just for the staff - not for patrons), and the free margarita for a bigger tip.

And no, you don't get a tip if someone leaves the blank slip. If a server wrote in an amount - any amount - it's a quick way to lose your job because it is really theft. If the cardholder didn't write in an amount then it's not up to you to correct it!

Much of it sounded like lazy waiters and bartenders. No wonder they will sometimes get lower tips. The guests may not have taken the receipt with the written in tip, surprise, they may have not given a tip due to poor service.

While we tip when we go out, it does depend on the service and the attitude. We've had so many college age kids who you could tell hated their job and thought of us as an annoyance, they get the minimum or lower gratuity. Those who (even if it is fake) try to make us happy and add to our enjoyment of the evening will receive a larger tip from us. We don't need them fawning over us or constantly at our table entertaining us, we just like good service with a friendly smile.

My pet peeve is when we say "thank you" (by the way, shouldn't they be thanking us for our patronage????) they reply "no problem". I know it is the norm for many young people, but instead a "you're welcome" or even "it's a pleasure" means so much more and is not rude sounding like "no problem" is.

I smiled as I read the comments. Everyone should work food service just once in their life!

I have and never once noticed anything on the list. If a server had done anything close to what these people stated, they would find themselves out of a job immediately.

And no, you don't get a tip if someone leaves the blank slip. If a server wrote in an amount - any amount - it's a quick way to lose your job because it is really theft. If the cardholder didn't write in an amount then it's not up to you to correct it!

No wonder the waiter followed me outside and switched the receipts when I accidentally took the restaurant copy (on which I had written the tip) instead of my own copy with no tip on it. In my case it was truly an honest mistake and I had no intention of stiffing the waiter.

Interesting to read that article as I am currently working as a food server. I would say that (in my restaurant, at least) many of the things like 'the fork in the cobbler' and 'telling the bartender not to ring up the margarita' would not happen because we have cameras all over the restaurant watching the staff. People would be fired. Also, it is very true that if a guest walks out with the credit card slip they signed and leave the blank one behind, we do not get the tip. It happens way too frequently. My pet peeve about this is that I really like my restaurant and I take a lot of pride in my job---it only takes a few extra seconds for a guest to ensure that they leave the correct credit card slip for me. Also, with regard to guests who stay at the table for long periods after they've eaten and paid: Sometimes when I go out with my girlfriends we'll sit for a long time just gabbing after we've settled our bill, but we always leave an extra large tip for the server (like 30-32%) for taking up his table, thus preventing him from being sat with new paying customers. I'll never forget two businessmen who the hostess sat at one of my prime tables near the window. They told me they would be there a while having a business meeting. I said fine, just let me know when you are ready to order. Then, when it came time to order, they ordered two ice waters and a basket of our fresh bread. After more than two hours of refilling their waters and breadbasket, they left. Bread and water are free, so there was no bill and unfortunately no tip. I was very upset. I still gave them polite service. And the tip is for the service. I feel that they should have left me something on the table as their being there prevented that table from being sat with paying customers.

Interesting to read that article as I am currently working as a food server. I would say that (in my restaurant, at least) many of the things like 'the fork in the cobbler' and 'telling the bartender not to ring up the margarita' would not happen because we have cameras all over the restaurant watching the staff. People would be fired. Also, it is very true that if a guest walks out with the credit card slip they signed and leave the blank one behind, we do not get the tip. It happens way too frequently. My pet peeve about this is that I really like my restaurant and I take a lot of pride in my job---it only takes a few extra seconds for a guest to ensure that they leave the correct credit card slip for me. Also, with regard to guests who stay at the table for long periods after they've eaten and paid: Sometimes when I go out with my girlfriends we'll sit for a long time just gabbing after we've settled our bill, but we always leave an extra large tip for the server (like 30-32%) for taking up his table, thus preventing him from being sat with new paying customers. I'll never forget two businessmen who the hostess sat at one of my prime tables near the window. They told me they would be there a while having a business meeting. I said fine, just let me know when you are ready to order. Then, when it came time to order, they ordered two ice waters and a basket of our fresh bread. After more than two hours of refilling their waters and breadbasket, they left. Bread and water are free, so there was no bill and unfortunately no tip. I was very upset. I still gave them polite service. And the tip is for the service. I feel that they should have left me something on the table as their being there prevented that table from being sat with paying customers.

I think they should have been charged for the bread. They occupied a table that could have resulted in a lucrative diner or diners and a well deserved tip. These businessmen took up your time for their "meeting" and they definitely should have given you a tip! In my opinion they should not have been allowed to stay if they just ordered bread.

Why is it these types of 'what you don't know' articles always involve service people. Can you imagine if such a write up appeared about physicans? One example, surgeons secretly reuse surgical instruments without them being cleaned between patients. I don't think anyone would find that funny. Yet, some of you are finding humor in waiters double dipping and putting food items in dishwater. It's not funny and these are health code violations.

Waitstafff who participate in these behaviors are unprofessional and should be fired.

Why is it these types of 'what you don't know' articles always involve service people. Can you imagine if such a write up appeared about physicans? One example, surgeons secretly reuse surgical instruments without them being cleaned between patients. I don't think anyone would find that funny. Yet, some of you are finding humor in waiters double dipping and putting food items in dishwater. It's not funny and these are health code violations.

Waitstafff who participate in these behaviors are unprofessional and should be fired.

Methinks someone should relax a bit.......

I think they should have been charged for the bread. They occupied a table that could have resulted in a lucrative diner or diners and a well deserved tip. These businessmen took up your time for their "meeting" and they definitely should have given you a tip! In my opinion they should not have been allowed to stay if they just ordered bread.

I agree, but the company I work for goes to great lengths not to offend guests. I am almost certain that if my manager had asked them to leave, they would have called our corporate office and complained (probably with an embellished story of how they'd planned to order something, but then were asked to leave before they got the chance). It would have been a "lose lose" situation. Far cheaper for me to just accept the fact that I had two "stiffs" in my station that day.

Can you imagine if such a write up appeared about physicans? One example, surgeons secretly reuse surgical instruments without them being cleaned between patients. I don't think anyone would find that funny.

Just because we don't hear about it in the media doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I know someone who got a skin infection from improperly sterilized laser hair removal equipment in a doctor's office.

Just because we don't hear about it in the media doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I know someone who got a skin infection from improperly sterilized laser hair removal equipment in a doctor's office.

And how does she know it was improperly sterilized versus just an infection from her own skin?

I agree, but the company I work for goes to great lengths not to offend guests. I am almost certain that if my manager had asked them to leave, they would have called our corporate office and complained (probably with an embellished story of how they'd planned to order something, but then were asked to leave before they got the chance). It would have been a "lose lose" situation. Far cheaper for me to just accept the fact that I had two "stiffs" in my station that day.

I agree that it's not easy, but that's management's job. The manager on duty should never have allowed the situation to go on for hours ... a simple intervention or two early in the process might have resolved the situation to everyone's satisfaction. Or not, sometimes you just can't make people happy and retail managers learn that fast.

And how does she know it was improperly sterilized versus just an infection from her own skin?

After tests to determine the type of infection, and because of the specific area that was infected, her doctor concluded (after eliminating other possible sources) that the laser equipment was the most likely source.

That is horrible that those men did that,, but we both know that is an exception to the rule,, that most people would never do that,, the fact that it sticks out in your memory so vividly is because that was insanely rude.. They should have been presented with a table charge,, is your restaurant stupid?? LOL Now, perhaps these two were regulars with lots of clout,, they book alot of business dinners?? That would be the only exception I could think of for mangement allowing that behaviour. They should have tipped you,, period.

I also know that most places would not have refilled their bread and water for over 2 hours.. and I have worked in places that also would rather have a server cut off his right arm then offend a guest.. LOL I think I would have returned every 10-15 minutes to take their order,, it may have interrupted their meeting, but that would be the point.

I also think a server has a responsibility to watch their table after billing, and pick up the bill folder promptly,, then you can check for mistakes( or to give them change etc) before they leave the restaurant. A hostess can also share in this responsibility. Shop keepers don't let people wander out of their store without paying, and if discreet it is easy for servers to not allow the same.

Where I worked,, if someone signed CC slip,, and put a larger amount in the total box, but did not write in the actual tip,, (cause they were not willing to do the math) the dining room supervisor would calculate the difference and write it in,( as tips had to be paid out daily in our place), and the CC companies were fine with that as TOTAL is not altered. This is important to do ,, as revenue and CC totals have to add up,, and tips must be subtracted . Credit card companies pay out total amount signed for, so if business owner keeps total and doesn't pay out tips,, they are STEALING from servers.

My pet peeve is when we say "thank you" (by the way, shouldn't they be thanking us for our patronage????) they reply "no problem". I know it is the norm for many young people, but instead a "you're welcome" or even "it's a pleasure" means so much more and is not rude sounding like "no problem" is.

Just want to say that I'm a socio-linguist and "no problem" or "no worries" is typically a generational version of "you're welcome." A colleague of mine has done some serious studies on this and has found that "no problem" means "your thanks is appreciated but unnecessary because I was happy to do it" (and it might have something to do with the Spanish "de nada"). I just don't want you thinking that everyone who says this is rude, as his studies show "no problem" is in no way indicative of malintent. (Or else I fear that you might think that everyone under 30 is helplessly rude.) I personally am happy when I get a response of any kind rather than my "thank you" just hanging in the air without acknowledgment.

Archived