Noumea at night

GundyGirl

I have just noticed that our Cruise arrives in Noumea in the afternoon and leaves late at night. This is making me have to change which shore tours I will do.

Can anyone who has been to Noumea during the night please suggest places to visit. We would like to look around and see places/sites rather than just go to a restaurant.

On our last Cruise to Noumea we took a bus trip we organised ourself rather that the Chou Chou train - it was 1/2 the price of the P & O train ride and we saw more. This time I was hoping to do something a little more Cultural - but by arriving at 3pm it looks like our options are limited.

Has anyone else arrived at 3pm and done anything exciting???

Would love to hear from you.

You mention that you are interested on something more cultural so one of these musems could be of interest.

1. The Musee de la Ville de Noumea opposite Coconut Square has displays on the history of Noumea.

2. The Museum of New Caledonia (near McDonald's) focusses on the culture of the Kanak and Oceanic people.

Otherwise book a tour in the terminal on the wharf or take a local bus to Anse Vata beach. There is not much point in walking around the streets at night as everything is closed and shuttered.

I think that it is not allowed to use the words "Noumea", "After 3pm" and "exciting" in the same sentence??? I think the rule is listed somewhere under P & O Terms and Conditions subsection entitled "Mutual exclusivity??" :)

Barry

Good one, Barry! I wasn't impressed with Noumea way back and it seems as though it hasn't improved.

The only thing I'm interested in is the train tour.

Maybe it is worth going on the train if you have kids travelling with you. Otherwise I suggest doing a sightseeing tour by bus. They have air-con :D and the passengers don't have to sit enveloped in a cloud of diesel fumes (front carriages) or suffer from motion sickness (back carriage). :D

Otherwise I suggest doing a sightseeing tour by bus

Yes - when we went to Noumea, we arrived at 2PM. I would be willing to bet that they will still run that tour if the ship arrives at 3PM . Maybe not if later than that.

Barry

I found the street level experience really good on the yellow train. In the last carriage you don't notice the fumes. The ship tour tries to cram 3 adults per seat which is not the best. On a clear day, especially mornings, the views from the 2 lookouts are fabulous.

A sightseeing tour in an airconditioned bus just isn't the same experience in my opinion.

Anna

We were in Noumea in September 2009. We actually left Brisbane late but arrived in Noumea early about 2pm. We were going to do the land train but the office was still shut when we arrived so we chose another tour which was a little 8 seater bus. In the terminal on the way out opposite the Tourist Info you will find Country Tours, they were cheaper than the train which is half the price at the terminal to what P&O charge.

The bus took us past the beaches and up to the lookouts where we stopped and got out to look around and take photos. They have a map and will show you where the tour goes, took about 1 hour I think which is enough. The driver spoke english and we felt this was worth the money plus we have 2 children who enjoyed it as well.

We then went for a wander into town to the chocolate and patisserie shops and back to the ship. I wouldn't be out in town after dark.

Cheers

Jingles:)

Archived