Excel spreadsheet for packing?

mehitabel

I do mine by daytime and evenings for each day, and I colour some items to help me figure out how to repeat them on the cruise.

I have a separate list also that lists the essentials, and then I organize the clothing in this one.

packingplan001.jpg

I do a similar daily wardrobe list, but not on a spreadsheet. I like the idea of adding jewellery and the colour coding...colour pencils are on my next shopping list. Thanks for posting this .....adding my accolades re your tip.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Thanks to everyone here for the great ideas.

I do use excel as a master packing list with columns for the three of us.

I check who is responsible for bringing what.

I also have a house check list and another for the dog/house sitter.

I never though of one for the specific clothes I am bringing.

Now I have to have one of those.:D

Denise

I do mine by daytime and evenings for each day, and I colour some items to help me figure out how to repeat them on the cruise.

I have a separate list also that lists the essentials, and then I organize the clothing in this one.

packingplan001.jpg

Too funny...this is almost identical to the spreadsheet I've used for my last 4 cruises. My DH thinks I'm crazy, but it makes everything so much easier to plan. I also include jewlery in mine.

I don't include jewelry, nor do I list by day or activity, I guess I just can't get that involved in a packing list.

I just list how many pair of pants/dresses/shorts/tops, etc...that I need and decide what to take when I'm getting ready to pack. The jewelry is selected and hung onto each outfit and all is on a rolling rack.

But, I do also make a list for last minute things that need to get done, or turned off, or handed over to the neighbors. I do that on a word program as well and tape it to the front door the night before we leave. We've learned through experience to turn off the ice maker, make sure the neighbor has the garage door opener to put out the trash on collection day, make sure to set a timer on our indoor lights, unplug all small electrical appliances, etc...

There is just too much to remember to do when so excited about leaving home. A list really helps make sure it's all taken care of.

• 2 months later...

Is there a thread or maybe someone should start one with your actual packing list file attached? If you use a spreadsheet or some other computer file, can you share the file you already have set up?

The packing list I posted is my actual packing list, done in Excel "freehand", meaning I just played around with it until it was understandable to me. I'm not sure what you're asking for, but I'll try to help if I can!

You'd think that, but tonight as my husband was packing (not with a list), he laughed when he was done and said "There! No list, and I'll bet I didn't forget a thing!" So I pulled out my list and asked about the male packing equivalents. "Oh, I forgot that. Oh, those. Whoops, I need to put that in ..." and so on.

I think that for me, it's a realization of my own fairly serious scatterbrained-ness and a concerted effort to overcome it. I also don't think I could've packed just a carry-on and backpack without that list. And planning really is part of the fun for me.

my pack list is similar to the spreadsheet too...written out tho...if i didnt PLAN it all out day by day--i do one for hubby too--just makes it so much easier...i would definitely MISS things and this is just pretty much how i am at home...clothes always out ready to go down to jewelry for the next day or two.

the minute i book a cruise...i pack in my head, then on paper...less than 8 months out and my LIST making has begun...each time i cruise its much easier cos 75% of my clothes now are pretty much just for the cruise...each time i cruise IF that outfit works it goes the next time...if not it stays home--this time tho i have been CRUISE shopping alot so i have ALOT of choices---i NEED another week or 2 cos i WANT to wear it ALL...lol...

The packing list I posted is my actual packing list, done in Excel "freehand", meaning I just played around with it until it was understandable to me. I'm not sure what you're asking for, but I'll try to help if I can!

I thought if anyone had an excel or word file that they could attach that others could revise for their own personal taste and use instead of starting a new one.

You all have so much information and helpful hints for us newbies! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I used to use a packing list until I found polyvore dot com. I pick out clothes I already own, or very similar, (you can import your own photos) and mix and match outfits there. I

planktin, I am LOVING Polyvore! Thanks so much, I had no idea such a thing existed. It's been really helpful already for my cruise, and also for ideas about other types of dressing.

• 2 weeks later...

packingplan001.jpg

May son laughed at me but, I also use an Excel spreadsheet for my packing list! Not as detailed as yours but use days and outfits to piece together things that can be worn twice to cut down on packing.:) Second page of my spreadsheet is a list of things to do before I go...(print hotel confirmation, get prescriptions filled, hold mail, arrange pet care, etc...) I am so glad to see other organizers like me!

I'm totally OCD about planning. So this is the template I usually use when packing for a trip. We are going to Mexico in about 40 days, so I've just started getting the list together. As you can see, I'm very specific but the DH is not. He just throws stuff in a bag. LOL

Mexico.pdf

I don't know how to upload my actual document, but here's a shortened version of it. This is the page that lists things for me and my teenaged daughters -- my husband's list is a little different -- pretend that it's a pretty page with four columns. In my column, beside "shorts outfit", I might write khaki shorts /green & blue top . . . beside the next "shorts outfit", I might write plaid shorts & pink top . . . I wouldn't write in what day it was for. Some of these shorts outfits might turn out to be capris or mini-skirts. Doesn't matter, but I can see clearly what daytime outfits I plan to bring.

Shorts outfit

Shorts outfit

Shorts outfit

Shorts outfit

Shorts outfit

Workout clothes

Swimsuit & cover up

Swimsuit & cover up

Swimsuit & cover up

Casual dress

Casual dress

Formal dress

Nightgown or PJs

Nightgown or PJs

Underwear, bras, socks

Tennis shoes

Comfortable sandals

Flip flips or pool shoes

Dinner shoes

Beach hat

Lanyard or wristlet

Watch

Jewelry & accessories

Sunglasses

packingplan001.jpg

I do like yours too. I do a spread sheet but I like how you have the clothes laid out by day. I think I might have to edit mine, even if I do have 300 days until I cruise.

packingplan001.jpg

Here's mine. Thanks for the sharing link Marie.

http://senduit.com/96deed Good for a week like the above one.

Getting ready for our very first cruise and trying to see what others have suggested. This is the best idea yet! Thanks for sharing your idea and great organizational skills. :)

packingplan001.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Will someone repost their spread sheets for packing? Thanks

I tried to post mine again, but the posting site is having problems. I'll try again later.

Tried a different website. Works for me, but I'm not sure how long it stays open.

http://www.filedropper.com/cruiseclothinglistbyday

Edited by KandCsailing

I love your spreadsheets.. I just wish I was computer savvy enough to find/make one of my own. I wouldn't know where to start. So, I will just throw stuff into the suitcase until its full..

I'm sure I will forget some important items...

:(

I know I packed undies somewhere....