Driving from Hana to Haleakala

gram4haley

Many maps indicate that the road between Hana to Haleakala NP was destroyed in 2006 and should not be traveled. In 'Maui Revealed' by Andrew Doughty he says the road is just fine to travel. If you are not considering a rental car agreement terms, Do you consider the road between Hana and Haleakala NP, using Rt. 31, drivable with a car.

Do you consider the road between Hana and Haleakala NP, using Rt. 31, drivable with a car.

I would suggest that you look at http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Piilani-Hwy.htm.

It's drivable but unless the weather is absolutely clear and you have a 4-wheel drive, and a death-wish or nerves like steel, I would not recommend it.

On the other hand, some friends of mine drive it - make sure you have a cell phone, lots of water - and I am assuming that the phone will work in that area!

I would suggest that you look at http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Piilani-Hwy.htm.

It's drivable but unless the weather is absolutely clear and you have a 4-wheel drive, and a death-wish or nerves like steel, I would not recommend it.

On the other hand, some friends of mine drive it - make sure you have a cell phone, lots of water - and I am assuming that the phone will work in that area!

But if you are trying to jam a one day trip to Haleakala from Hana, I definitely would not do it.

I have driven it several times. It is eminently drivable, and you do not need 4-wheel drive, nerves of steel, or superpowers. For a couple of miles past Kipahulu it is pretty narrow with a couple of blind curves. Just roll down the window, honk, and go slowly on these curves (and you're on the inside, which is a good thing!) It's unpaved for a couple miles, then lousy pavement to around Kaupo, then good pavement. If you stop at O'heo Gulch the park service center there always has a sign with the current road conditions.

(And if the weather is so rotten that they close that road, chances are you're not driving to Hana on that day anyway!)

With that being said... if you're planning on doing the following route: Hana - O'heo Gulch - Highway 31 to Haleakala, my suggestion is: Don't. There is not enough time to go all the way to O'heo Gulch and then to Haleakala in a single day off a cruise ship no matter which way you go.

If you INSIST on doing both Haleakala and Hana in a single day, do Haleakala first (like sunrise) then head down to Makawao, then take 365 until it meets the Hana Highway. You'll still be ahead of most of the traffic if you head down from the summit not long after sunrise. And if you further insist on going all the way to O'heo Gulch, here's a hint. It is a LOT faster to go all the way around on Hwy 31 than retrace your steps. (The measuring point we use is the stoplight at the junction of 36 and 37. All routes go through this intersection).

But be warned - we've done this and it's a very long, tiring day (we were staying on Maui, not off a cruise ship. If we were doing a ship vacation we'd have never considered it.)

Many years ago (before internet and cruise critic boards), we went to Haleakala (not for sunrise - bit later)

Around noon took a road that meets RTH few miles east of airport (may be 365 - do not recall) It started drizzly. Still went more than half way, stopping many times. Waterfalls were wonderful.

Road to Hana was curvy but nothing outstandingly spectacular compared to so many other such roads up and down both coasts of USA.

Since, we never went all the way to Hana, this time was determined to go to Hana. So overuled the rest of the family who wanted to do Haleakala first.

Boy, it was a let down. Let me first admit that I love driving on curvy roads with mountains on one side and sea on the other anywhere in the world (and there are many places - some much more breath taking then RTH) but this time it was no fun or challenge at all.

Black Sand beach was nothing compared to what you find in Big Island and while everyone cautions that there is nothing at the end of journey for RTH, it is the jouney itself, I didnt realize it until I missed Hana somehow and wound up seeing the NP entrance.

Yes, few blind curves on steep cliffs and incline was not we were mentally ready for. Circle Maui was not something we had planned but we ended up doing it with no food and less than half a bottle of water. Luckily, it was a hot sunny day and many other people on the road (violating their rental agreements, of course). So it was not scary or risky.

Yes, that part of raod was MUCH more challenging and beautiful compraed to RTH.

As many have said on this board, each person has its own opinon based on what they experience (including weather and raod condition) that day.

So, at risk of being blasted on this RTH loving board:

opinion in early 90s: RTH is a wondeful experience

opinion now: it is nice but nothing as much as it has been hyped - road beyond Hana is really challenging and wonderful but would rather do it in a mini bus with local driver driving it so that I can at least enjoy the beautiful scenery!!

By the way, although we started late (around 9:15 am), we could have easily done Haleakala the same day.

But why rush? POA provides 2 days in Maui. We instead did beach evening. (As in the past trips, I still find one of the Khiei beaches optimal because of the parking ease and lack of crowd and beautiful sand)

By the way, even after few weeks, the rest of the family still votes RTH being the most wasteful morning of our entire vacation. (and they do love natural beauty and waterfalls which they think have been much better on our other such raod trips elsewhere)

But again, YMMV. ;)

Archived