docking in Sweden

aqua

rwb is right. Relatively easy to get to major sites. GREAT city.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=11>

<param name="day" value=7>

<param name="hour" value=4>

</applet> 11/7/04 Millennium Transatlantic

Sun Princess 2000

Constellation 2003

Thank you! I was worried when I read that one of the ports for Stockholm is tendered. We disembark there and have an 11AM flight to Paris. I did not want to have to deal with any extra delays!

Aqua, you are going to have a major problem getting to Arlanda airport for an 11AM flight. Its way north of the city. Its a good 45 minutes depending on time of day.

Reconsider an afternoon flight to Paris. Also, if you take a cab to Arlanda, get a fixed fare. Otherwise you could be charged 100% more. Real taxi's for the most part take credit cards.

Forgot to add, if you are departing a week or two after June 20th (Midsummer) the crowds at Arlanda airport are going to be huge. This is when many companies shut down for a few weeks for vacations. Believe us, you don't get there at least two hours in advance and you are not going to make the flight.

George & MaryBeth

[This message was edited by raudacruise on 04-13-04 at 10:20 PM.]

George and MaryBeth, Thanks for the information. I"m going to try not to panic, but your post does concern me. We really don't have a choice on the 11:20AM flight as we are using frequent flyer miles and have to travel Air France (Delta's partner.) The good news is that we get to Stockholm the day before we disembark, so the ship should have cleared customs well in advance. Celebrity told us that we could disembark around 8AM, and it is a Saturday, so I'm hoping for light traffic. How much should we expect to pay for a taxi? Do you think Celebrity's $35 per person transfer price would be a better deal? ( We will have either 4 or 6 people with us.) Any other suggestions or information is appreciated!!!

Aqua, if you are getting there the day before and leaving on a Saturday, yes you should be safe. Just be aware that the lines at the airport can get quite long.

Taxi would be about 400-500 SEK (or about $50 give or take). Obviously your not going to squeeze 4-6 people (and luggage) into one cab. Don't recall see vans but never looked for the either.

George & MaryBeth

Thanks, I feel better now! Actually I received the Shore Information from Celebrity today. The airport transfer is $25, not $35. It also says that your flight has to leave after 10:30AM to use the transfer service. I think we will probably take a taxi though- it will probably be quicker and may be a little less costly.

At $25 pp its flip a coin. Having the transfers prepaid is peace of mind, especially in a foriegn country. Also, the bus driver will probably give some commentary on the way to the airport. Plus, Celebrity is sort of on the hook for this.

Taxi might be a little faster and a little cheaper. You may or may not have a driver thats going to give you a tour on the way. But really, once you leave the city there really isn't much.

Since you are going Air France, the stampede at the airport should be less. The times we ran into was flying on SAS.

George & MaryBeth

Hmmmmm

Your mention of a crowd atthe airport after June 20 sounded off some alarms with me.

We are getting off the ship July 3 and will remain in Stockholm for several days. Then we have a flight out (Brit Airways) to London at 7:30 a.m. Awfully early, but we have to cartch a plane in London back to the states.

How soon are European airlines suggesting that passengers get to the airport before flight time? Anyone know? I don't want to get out there in the middle of the night.

love

joan

According to Arlanda airport the recommended time is 2 hours before for all non-domestic flights (3 hours if you are flying SAS). And while you will be flying on a Saturday, its probably one of the worst ones. LOTS of swedes going on vacation.

You guys might want to look at/post on the Ports of Call board, probably under Baltic Ports (vs. Europe).

George & MaryBeth

As already said Frihamnen is not far from the city centre, and no tenders. The port where tenders are usual is Nynäshamn, and it is also 1 hours travel to get to Stockholm. Princess docks here, but I have never seen any Celebrity ship dock at this location.

Taxi Stockholm, one of the taxi companies operating in Stockholm, has set prices to Arlanda airport. An ordinary taxi from Frihamnen to Arlanda costs SEK 475 (today $62) or if you need a bigger taxi it will cost SEK 715 (today $93). You would perhaps have to make a call for a big taxi. There is little of interest to see on the way from Frihamnen to the airport.

It is always advisable, for any international flight, to be at the airport at least two hours before departure. You should calculate ca 45 minutes to get to the airport, could be more of course during rush hours. But since it is true that many Swedes are on vacation during July the traffic situation in the city is not as bad as otherwise.

The fact that Swedes are on vacation can affect the flights both ways. While many may be going abroad for their holiday there will be less business travellers. British Airways and Air France could well have fewer passengers than normal.

Thanks to everyone for the information! Based on all of the good advice, I have decided to purchase the Celebrity transfers. We will have 6 people and my sister-in-law will have way too much luggage, so this seems like the easiest solution.

NOrthbound and others

Thanks for your response about transportation to airport.

I have another question. I ahve read about the "airport express" train which leaves from the Central Station. What hours does it run? How long is the trip? Do you know the cost?

Would it be a vaible option for uys who have a 7:30 a.m. flight departure?

love

joan

joramrose,

The Arlanda Express is very convenient and takes only 20 minutes to get to the airport. It stops right under the terminals. The cost is SEK 180 one way. I always use it myself when I travel. But most of the time I travel alone and I never have more luggage than I can easily carry.

For several persons, or if you have a lot of luggage, a taxi may be better even if it takes mor time.

With a 7:30 flight you should probably be at the airport at 5:30, which means the 5:05 train should be OK. but do check the timetable before you leave, since it can change. Here is a link to read more about Arlanda Express

From the atrain web site it appears that some airlines allow you to check your luggage in at the train station in Stockholm. You should check with your airline if this service is available. If so, it would be a major hassle and money saver.

George & MaryBeth

Archived