Any Norway rumors?

Anyone heard anything new on the fate of this ship. I know NCL pulled her from service after the boiler accident. I also know there were rumors she could be used as a Dutch hotel. I heard she is being used to house shipbuilding yard workers. Not bad digs, eh?

Norway will always be special to me, since she marked our first cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

We too, are Norway fans. We were on the Norway just 2 weeks before the boiler explosion. Really felt bad about some of the crew. What a great room on the sky deck!! Floor to ceiling, in fact, the entire wall of windows and a bath the you could actually turn around in. I sure wish she was back in service. We would sign up right away.

Alice in FL

Hello Doug. Can you tell me of the reputation of "Midnatsol II". I understand she is laid up.

MIDNATSOL II is a former Hurtigruten vessel (the Hurtigruten being the famous Norwegian coastal express - more info here) and she is indeed laid-up as she was replaced in 2003 by the new MIDNATSOL.

She is one of the mid-generation vessels (the others, VESTERAALEN and NARVIK, are still in service) built in the early 1980s when the future of the Hurtigrute was in question. As a result these are quite utilitarian vessels, and were originally built with a focus on cargo (more passenger accomodations were added later in a major refit). Those who I have spoken to that know them are not particularly fond of the mid-generation ships, saying that they lack the charm of the traditional vessels or the luxury of the newer ships.

Archived