Singapore to Sydney

dwkjrk

Hi!

We are planning a cruise for next December from Singapore to Sydney. I am planning on using United miles to upgrade. Any suggestions on the best way to secure flights and if it is better to upgrade or use mileage for the entire trip? I know I can't book the trip until 330 days before the return flight - are there any ways around this?

Thanks for your help!

Sydney is tied with Narita as the #1 place to upgrade with miles. Miles upgrades are very tough on that route. Book you tickets as soon as the window opens (call United for the exact date-maybe 330 days, may be 335, etc) if you want an upgrade. The window includes your return to the US, so if you are gone 21 days, window is 330 days from your return. There is a way around the return, but too confusing to explain here.

Are you a Premier member? If not, please note the restrictions on upgrades. Looks to me like only the most expensive fares can be upgraded, so the base tickets to upgrade could be costly.

Do you have 300,000-400,000 miles needed for the tickets? If so, and you are not a Premier member, I would get a miles award. That would certainly make an open jaw ticket to very expensive airfare cities reasonably priced.

I usually buy an economy ticket and use FF miles to upgrade. I have done this on UAL to Europe and Asia from SFO. I just came back from South America. I did the same thing on AA for my flights. (I think UAL does a better job in Business Class than AA.)

I usually buy an economy ticket and use FF miles to upgrade. I have done this on UAL to Europe and Asia from SFO. I just came back from South America. I did the same thing on AA for my flights. (I think UAL does a better job in Business Class than AA.)

Hi,

I always do this too on AA. Cheapest flight I can find and upgrade with miles. But there are restrictions on both AA and United. If you are NOT an elite status member, only certain fare classes are allowed miles upgrade. And those fares are usually the more expensive economy tickets. As I pointed out, it appears Premier status members can upgrade any fare, but non- Premier members can only upgrade certain fares. Don't know the status of the OP. This is direct off the United website.

Upgrade - Select United Economy® (M and H class) to the next class of service or Select United Business® (C and D class) to United First®

If the OP is going to use miles for award travel and NOT an upgrade, I sure would book the flights with Singapore Air (lax/singapore/sydney) and United for the domestic. Best service in the air.

dwkjrk

We just booked for November using our United miles. Open Jaw into Bangkok out of Beijing business class. No problem as we called the Star alliance number. They were very helpful looking at different ways to go. I know when we have used Delta before it has been a hassle.

Archived