Scooter Rentals?

reganshamrock

• 7 months later...
Does anyone know if there is a place to rent scooters near the port? We want to rent one and just tour on our own.

Thanks!

Don't do it. Too many goats and potholes. I've seen people's holidays ruined after coming off.

Renting a car is safer but expensive. You would need to pay for an Antigua driver's permit. A taxi (or bus if you like a little local flavour) is the best bet.

Don't do it. Too many goats and potholes. I've seen people's holidays ruined after coming off.

Renting a car is safer but expensive. You would need to pay for an Antigua driver's permit. A taxi (or bus if you like a little local flavour) is the best bet.

Goats? I haven't had much luck getting close to many of them. They seem to scatter to the wind any time I stop to get a decent picture.

I'm guessing that you need a permit for a car rental also.:confused:

The roads I've seen in the past are no worse or better than any other of the islands.

Goats? I haven't had much luck getting close to many of them. They seem to scatter to the wind any time I stop to get a decent picture.

I'm guessing that you need a permit for a car rental also.:confused:

The roads I've seen in the past are no worse or better than any other of the islands.

It's the goats you don't see in time for a picture you need to worry about, and some of the roads are pretty bad, although there was an effort to improve them around the cricket ground a few years ago for the world cup.

The driver's permit is $20US and lasts for three months, which is why hiring a car for a day is expensive. The rental agency usually sorts it out and you pay for it when you pick the car up.

It's the goats you don't see in time for a picture you need to worry about, and some of the roads are pretty bad, although there was an effort to improve them around the cricket ground a few years ago for the world cup.

The driver's permit is $20US and lasts for three months, which is why hiring a car for a day is expensive. The rental agency usually sorts it out and you pay for it when you pick the car up.

Yea, I just saw that $20. For 1 day it hardly seems to be worth while. If I were there for a week I would consider it.

Have you considered an ATV? I believe they have an ATV rental in Antigua, and they must handle the roads better than a car and scooter.

I rented one in St Martin & swore never again. They handle terribly on a paved road - especially cornering. Since I'm so used to a regular motorbike I couldn't get used to an ATV. It's probably OK on dirt but not with the tires they have on them for pavement.

Anyway, they still would require a $20 permit whether it a scooter, ATV or auto. It appears that they're money hungry & I'm not willing to pay the price for 1 day. There's a cheap taxi service if I remember correctly to get us to the beach.

I rented one in St Martin & swore never again. They handle terribly on a paved road - especially cornering. Since I'm so used to a regular motorbike I couldn't get used to an ATV. It's probably OK on dirt but not with the tires they have on them for pavement.

Anyway, they still would require a $20 permit whether it a scooter, ATV or auto. It appears that they're money hungry & I'm not willing to pay the price for 1 day. There's a cheap taxi service if I remember correctly to get us to the beach.

Well happy cruiser, if you don't feel comfortable on an ATV, then by all means don't take one. lol,, it does sem that they are money hungry charging that for a day... i guess yes, you are better off going with a taxi, but watch out, they can also rip you off if your not carefull. I suggest to ask around for a good driver, as i have seen many bad remarks about the taxi's in Antigua on CC..

Cheers!

Well happy cruiser, if you don't feel comfortable on an ATV, then by all means don't take one. lol,, it does seem that they are money hungry charging that for a day... i guess yes, you are better off going with a taxi, but watch out, they can also rip you off if your not carefull. I suggest to ask around for a good driver, as i have seen many bad remarks about the taxi's in Antigua on CC..

Cheers!

Well happy cruiser, if you don't feel comfortable on an ATV, then by all means don't take one. lol,, it does seem that they are money hungry charging that for a day... i guess yes, you are better off going with a taxi, but watch out, they can also rip you off if your not carefull. I suggest to ask around for a good driver, as i have seen many bad remarks about the taxi's in Antigua on CC..

Cheers!

We don't use the regular taxi's. We utilize the local transport taxi system when available or the bus.

Archived