Horse taxi

monsters mom

We took a horse taxi from the international pier into town a few years ago. At that time I want to say it was about $20. I know it was more than a car taxi would have been. The buggies can only take you so far because of the traffic situation. Since that time we have been in Cozumel several times, including land vacations, and have seen signs/postings in several shops urging tourists not to take the horse taxis because of the way the animals are mistreated. Whether that is true or not, or if it is a ruse from the taxi unions to get more people to use the car taxis, I don't know. But we don't do the horse taxis any more. Besides the animal cruelty potential, I think it is a more expensive and time consuming option for getting into town.

I'm glad to see that people are taking notice of the posters around town in regards to the horses. Here is a link to the Humane Society in Cozumel that addresses the issues involved.

http://www.humanecozumel.org/carriagehorses.html

Given a choice I hope you pass on taking a ride and let the drivers know why. The more pressure that is put on the owners, the better the conditions will become for these animals.

Rich

PS this is not a ruse by the taxi union(though I don't blame you for the thought). I know the HS people personally.

Archived