Currency

Jo and Rob

I was wondering if we will need different currencies in the Western Caribbean or whether US dollars would do. Also how much cash should we take in addition to using our credit card? (we prefer using card to cash where possible)

many thanks

:)

I was wondering if we will need different currencies in the Western Caribbean or whether US dollars would do. Also how much cash should we take in addition to using our credit card? (we prefer using card to cash where possible)

many thanks

:)

USD for small things and cards are fine. If paying cash then change is in local currency

US currency is just fine but take along small bills as you will likely get your change in the local crurrency. You may also want to check with your credit card issuer about foreign transaction fees when using you card out of the country...BoA charges pretty good.

Keep in mind if you want to use a Credit Card to call your bank and let them know where you are visiting and the dates. We have seen people get there cards shut off when on foreign turf. It only takes about 5 minutes to have the conversation:)

Small bills are the order of the day when cruising.:cool:

I have never used my credit card in the Caribbean or Mexico and I have never had fraudulent charges. I don't think that's a coincidence I think it's good planning :D

I have used by credit card in both, many times, and never had a fraudulent charge either. Just call your bank in advance, let them know where you will be when and things should be fine.

We use our CC everywhere we go and never call the CC company to let them know anything. The card is protected.

It not a matter of protecting you from fraud charges.

Without notification the use of your card could be declined in a foreign country if the credit card computers suspect fraud.

It not a matter of protecting you from fraud charges.

Without notification the use of your card could be declined in a foreign country if the credit card computers suspect fraud.

I am not worried, we have been doing this for 25 years. Never had a problem.

It depends on the credit card company. Ones like CitiBank monitor your spending like nothing I've ever seen. Despite whether you have no credit limit or have a credit limit of any size, they still monitor your account like hawks.

For example, my son hadn't used his Citicards for about 6 weeks, then in one day, made 3 charges. Citicards called him right away to make sure it was him that was using it and that he wanted those charges on his card.

We did a lot of clothes shopping one day in 2 different malls in 2 different cities. Citibank stopped a charge I made until I called them to verify that it was the right person using the card and that I'd be making lots of charges that day (might as well get points while I can, then pay them off as soon as they post online). We've been long-time customers and have no credit limit. If we go out of the country and don't notify them and make even 1 charge, they will block the card until they know it's us using it. To avoid that, we simply call ahead and tell them our travel plans. It protects us and them.

None of our other credit card companies seem to work like CitiBank.

Keep in mind if you want to use a Credit Card to call your bank and let them know where you are visiting and the dates. We have seen people get there cards shut off when on foreign turf. It only takes about 5 minutes to have the conversation:)

Small bills are the order of the day when cruising.:cool:

Some bank customer service agents don't listen properly. I called Bank of Montreal for my Mastercard to advise of our trans Pacific transit on Star (SYD/LAX) and they said no problem that my file was annotated. I did the similar thing for my ATM/Debit/EFTPOS card to which they also said your file has been noted and was quite surprised in Honolulu to find out that I was not allowed to withdraw anymore money from my accounts after an earlier withdrawal in the day of USD$300.

A frank discussion with the bank indicated that "it was for your own security and you could have used your Mastercard or USD account" to which I replied " my file has been annotated and besides, I don't want to pay your service fees". This seemed to stop the lady in her tracks.

Needless to say we are still in the thralls of seeking a new bank to deal with.

There's got to be something said for dealing with cash or traveller's cheques. I agree that on port intensive itineraries such as the Caribbean that small denominations are the way to go.

Ciao for now!!!

I always ask for small bills when I get my US currency from the bank from my USD account. It's wonderful to have this service available in Canada.

I've called my TD VISA department on some trips and not on others. I've never had a problem either way, but we do use the card very often and travel often. With that said, I know they are watching my account because I got a call about a purchase I'd made on a website recently, so it probably doesn't hurt to make a quick call before you leave.

It depends on the credit card company. Ones like CitiBank monitor your spending like nothing I've ever seen. Despite whether you have no credit limit or have a credit limit of any size, they still monitor your account like hawks.

For example, my son hadn't used his Citicards for about 6 weeks, then in one day, made 3 charges. Citicards called him right away to make sure it was him that was using it and that he wanted those charges on his card.

We did a lot of clothes shopping one day in 2 different malls in 2 different cities. Citibank stopped a charge I made until I called them to verify that it was the right person using the card and that I'd be making lots of charges that day (might as well get points while I can, then pay them off as soon as they post online). We've been long-time customers and have no credit limit. If we go out of the country and don't notify them and make even 1 charge, they will block the card until they know it's us using it. To avoid that, we simply call ahead and tell them our travel plans. It protects us and them.

None of our other credit card companies seem to work like CitiBank.

In that case, happy to say we don't do business with Citibank.

Archived