What to do with belonging sauch as ID,cash and credit card when out snorkleing??

thesawch

What does everyone do when they go out swimming or snorkleing with there impotants stuff like cash credit card,ship ID and drivers licence etc.This is our first time going with the 2 of use and before we always had someone at shore watching the stuff.I have $400 camera i take and not sure what i could do with it and the other stuff while out swimming etc.Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks

Lots of folks use waterproof safes like this one from the Cruise Critic store:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=26

:)

Be really careful with these - first time I used mine had both Dh and my Dl's, credit cards, S&S cards & cash in it - it somehow unlatched while snorkeling and lost all my stuff. Thankfully they found the ID and such on the reef and our tour guide actually dove down and got the stuff. Cash had floated away and wasn't found. I think the vests they make you wear on the snorkel tours rubbed on it and caused the latch to open.

I highly recommend buying an aquapac. They are waterproof pouches that you wear around your neck. Do a google search - you can buy them on the aquapac website or on amazon. Mine is just big enough to hold money and all my credit cards, but they do come in larger sizes to hold cameras, cell phones, or ipods (the one i bought is called "the keymaster"). They're a bit expensive, but worth every penny. I've taken mine on seven cruises now and never had a problem.

What does everyone do when they go out swimming or snorkleing with there impotants stuff like cash credit card,ship ID and drivers licence etc.This is our first time going with the 2 of use and before we always had someone at shore watching the stuff.I have $400 camera i take and not sure what i could do with it and the other stuff while out swimming etc.Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks

The water does not hurt your ship card, credit cards, money and most state issued IDs. Put it in a pouch, etc, and keep it in a pocket. I tie the string on the puch to my bathing suit and swim away.

The camera is more problematic, and is probably best left on the ship. I end up taking two or three cameras on every crusie including an Olympus that is shock and water proof down to 35 feet, so it goes in the water with me.

We usually leave our good camera on the ship and use the disposable underwater cameras for snorkeling. I also use the underwater pouches. The one I had leaked a little so the next time I will also put the items inside a Ziploc bag.

Sometimes it's not worth the hassle and one of us will stay behind with our stuff.

Some locations will have lockers you can rent.

I use a small Aloksak for stuff like ID, cash, etc. and have a waterproof case for my camera which I take with. The Aloksak I keep in a pocket that is zipped shut and has velcro to boot.

http://www.loksak.com/

If you squeeze all the air out of an Aloksak before sealing, it will probably leak. Follow the directions.

OdUmU2t7JAhU2iuiNYUDAVQ1fyQh6Jcb0300.jpg

The water does not hurt your ship card, credit cards, money and most state issued IDs. Put it in a pouch, etc, and keep it in a pocket. I tie the string on the puch to my bathing suit and swim away.

The camera is more problematic, and is probably best left on the ship. I end up taking two or three cameras on every crusie including an Olympus that is shock and water proof down to 35 feet, so it goes in the water with me.

What the water can do is remove your signature from credit cards and make it nearly impossible to re-sign. I finally had to use a sharpie permanent marker.

What the water can do is remove your signature from credit cards and make it nearly impossible to re-sign. I finally had to use a sharpie permanent marker.

I don't sign mine anyway, I want the clerks to check ID every time, so that is a non issue for me.

I bought one of this Dry Pacs for our last cruise. It did the job, nothing got wet!

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Alligator-Wallet-4-Inch/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1263158847&sr=8-1-spell

We later found them in a scuba store in St. Thomas but they were very expensive.

Hopefully the link works for ya!

Archived