Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

I hear from a very good source that the traveling duo will be at it again in 2007. My DW and I wish we were going with you again, we certainly have been incouraged by HAL. We will be traveling on the Westerdam to Alaska later this year; wish the two of you were joining us for that cruise. Have a Happy New Year.

We're really looking forward to this year's cruises, and we will have to make it a point to hook up with you and Shelia again.

I promise not to spend the whole time in port buying jewelry!

Slinkie

• 3 weeks later...
I remember reading the list of gifts HAL gave to pax during the world cruise somewhere on this thread. I looked quickly but could not find that post. Does someone know where it is? What is its number? Thanks.

#1305 is the post listing all of the "free" stuff.

Just when you think there's no life left in a thread....:D

How Large Was The Duffel Bag? And You Got Two Of Them? I Had Thought About Packing A Bag With Plastic Cubes So That We Would Have It For All The Purchases, But If Hal Gives Two, That Would Not Be Necessary. When We Did Half The World In 05 With Radisson, We Had To Buy An Extra Bag When We Got To Turkey. Thanks For The Info. We Need A New Travel Clock, But Will Wait Now. We Have Less Than A Year Before Our 07 Trip Begins.

They were about 30" x14" x 14" with outside pouches on the ends and sides to help organize things. Keep in mind that the gifts change somewhat from year to year, so you may or may not get a travel alarm. The piece of luggage has been a staple for several years from what repeat cruisers said, so it is pretty likely that you would receive something along those lines, usually the next to last night of the cruise.

Thanks, since we live in the New York area, we don't have to worry about getting our "stuff" onto an airplane. We can just have it carried off and to a waiting car. We are doing the world HAL in 07. We want to buy a china elephant in Vietnam or a large wooden one in India. When we did half the world cruise in 05 on Radisson, we saw the wooden ones, but because our port of debarkation was Lauderdale, we could not bring one home. This time, we shall try. But there are so many wonderful things to buy, especially in Vietnam. We will need a bag to get everything home. Last time, we bought one in Turkey, and stuffed it to the gills.

Is this the "longest" thread Cruise Critic has ever had? Have to keep it alive eh! Just thought I would let you know Grumpy, that Granny will be setting sail in a months time, for my first ever, and half a World cruise. As you may remember I blamed you and this thread for starting my addiction! I suppose I shouldnt be posting in the HAL boards, as Im not sailing with them (well not this time anyway).....so if you are interested, I hope to be able to post reports in ~another~ cruiseline board. Just have to hope that my laptop works properly and the wi fi connects!

The board I will be posting on starts with Sea and ends in bourn!

Is this the "longest" thread Cruise Critic has ever had? Have to keep it alive eh! Just thought I would let you know Grumpy, that Granny will be setting sail in a months time, for my first ever, and half a World cruise. As you may remember I blamed you and this thread for starting my addiction! I suppose I shouldnt be posting in the HAL boards, as Im not sailing with them (well not this time anyway).....so if you are interested, I hope to be able to post reports in ~another~ cruiseline board. Just have to hope that my laptop works properly and the wi fi connects!

The board I will be posting on starts with Sea and ends in bourn!

Hi, GrannyLorr. I certainly hope that you enjoy your "half of a world" cruise as much as Slinkie and I enjoyed our world cruise.... and may your wonderful memories last even longer than this thread.:) Don't worry about posting here about sailing on another line... we'll chalk it up to a "senior moment" and forgive you... and keep in mind that our beloved Prinsendam had a brief fling with S******N also. She survived and went on to a better life, so perhaps you'll also have a chance to atone for this indiscretion:p

If you click the buttons at the top of the columns, you can sort threads by number of replies or by number of views. In the HAL section, this thread far outruns the others, but it pales in comparison to many roll call threads and threads in other sections of the boards.

We'll certainly be looking for posts from your cruise and hope to meet you someday on some "dam" ship... regardless of what line.

There has just been a post in that ~other~ board, that the wi fi on "our" ship is not working very well......that may alter all my plans! On the other hand they have 27 days to get it working properly! Apart from posting in CC and sending emails, I also planned to write a blog and do some ~very simple~ web pages with some of my pics etc. It could be a disaster, if I cant spend some time quietly in my room playing on my computer, I may be forced to spend even more time in the Bar!!

I may be forced to spend even more time in the Bar!!
UhOh... is Seabourn all inclusive?... Oh, my... some of the other cruisers might have interesting tales to tell upon your return:eek: We shall be hoping for a speedy recovery for the internet equipment.

You think the "all inclusive" might be a bit of a problem for old Granny eh? I will really really try to behave myself! :o

Me and my laptop are all ready to sail....just hope the internet behaves!

I assume you and Slinky will be writing another "whet your appetite" report on your next cruise? Looking forward to it.

• 2 months later...

Oh, grumpy, this just wonderful being able to read about your trip of last year so soon after I am off the ship this year. I too figured out I had internet access from my roon (31). But I had to leave my door open most of the time to get the access. I can't tell you how many times crew members knocked on the door to see if everything was alright because the door was open. Hahaha

I never did figure out how those toilets worked, did you? It drove me nuts for a while, the thought of the toilets just sucking every thing down it's considerable throat. I was finally able to just let it go.

We had over 500 people do the whole cruise. The number was way up from yours. This just blows me away, that so many people do this.

The same elevator (forward starboard)still does not function well, especially in rough seas. I was so glad they had the days of the week on the rugs changed everyday so we knew what day it was. I know one day they forgot to change it, it messed up so many people for a week, me included. susiesails

This must be let's-see-who-can-ressurect-the-oldest-thread week here! ;)

This was really one of the best threads ever!

thanks Jim... I guess if I took the link to this thread out of my signature, it would eventually slide down so far no one would ever find it again. It's nice that people still find it intersting, though.

SusieSails, we were fortunate that we could get the wireless signal with our door closed. There was someone a couple of cabins further forward from you that we saw many times sitting on a chair in their doorway, halfway into the hall, to get the signal. Another favorite spot was the flat area on the stair railing... standing on the landing with the laptop perched on the railing turnaround... or just sitting on the steps with laptop on knees.

We look forward to the rest of your posts. It will be interesting to compare your review with the one posted by Ides of March from the ship.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering where Grumpy and Slinkie are these days???

I have this in my subscribed area and just was wondering!!

Let us know Grumpy or Slinkie........!! :D

Hope you're having a great Summer. You guys sold your house and moved to Naples ...........am I right???

Kathie from Michigan!!

Dang, this thread just won't die! :rolleyes: Nice to hear from you again Kathie. Yes we sold the Ohio house and are in Naples full time... well, almost full time... we just got back from a week in London and 12 nights in the Baltics on the Rotterdam, two nights in Copenhagen followed by an unplanned night in Newark, courtesy of Continental Airlines. That shot most of June...

We'll also cruise the second half of August, 10 day Eastern Med on the Noordam, followed by 16 days on Prinsendam in the same area. Yes, in case you were wondering, we do like to cruise:D We still have a lot of fond memories of the world cruise and the fun of doing this thread.

Just wondering where Grumpy and Slinkie are these days???

I have this in my subscribed area and just was wondering!!

Let us know Grumpy or Slinkie........!! :D

Hope you're having a great Summer. You guys sold your house and moved to Naples ...........am I right???

Kathie from Michigan!!

Oh, yes, Kathie! We're having a terrific summer, having just returned from a combined land and sea vacation in London and the Baltic Sea. Still some jet lag here with the six-hour difference between the Scandinavian countries and Eastern time, but it is good to be home again.

We're now in Naples full time instead of half the year, just because it is so wonderful here. Of course, the seaports are within easy driving distance too. Next cruise up is a Mediterranean, though, where we will again fly across the Atlantic.

Thanks for following us along, all of you.

Slinkie

• 3 weeks later...

I just spent the day reading this thread. (Lots of Honey-Do's Didn't Get Done). What an experience it must have been for Grumpy and Slinkie, as well as the cruise enthusiasts following their wonderful trip. I sure enjoyed reading it. I may have to transfer it all to a word document for leisurely reading at bedtime to help with my dreams.

While my wife and I are still in the 7 day trip part of our lives, personally and financially, with continuing hard work we too hope to esperience world travels in the future.

I just followed the BBQ link at the bottom of your post, Bruce. I think you're going to run into problems trying to smuggle that contraption on board, but if you do it should be a helluva good party!:D I bookmarked the page so I can round out my BBQ education. Thanks for the link! Glad you enjoyed the collective ramblings and musings of Grumpy and Friends.

I cooked 500 lbs of brisket for a party one weekend on that pit. It took all three days. I would be glad to bring it on the Maasdam nest year for the CC cruise.

If you want to round out your BBQ education you should check out

Bob in GA

The Smokering

Garry's BBQ Pit

BBQ Porch FAQ

Here's a picture of a friend of mine who went on an Alaskan cruise (non HAL) a couple of years ago. This was at shipboard event.

gwiv.jpg

WOW BDC..........That huge Crab would almost make me book a trip to Alaska. Part of me wants to go see Alaska and the other part of me says NO WAY.......you get enough snow living in Michigan!! Hee Hee. We'll get there one day soon.

Hi Grumpy & Slinkie........nice to see you're enjoying your Summer. If I were to go on another cruise anytime soon it would be the Mediterranean!

Keep in touch.

Archived