Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

INM&M... Thank you so much for your post. When this thing started, there was no way to even imagine that it would be so popular... or touch other's lives in a personal way... I'm really humbled by the thanks and acolades that so many have passed on, and comments such as yours are especially touching.

A single woman, travelling alone... There were quite a few on the World Tour, but I think most of them either stayed with group tours or found a few other people to team up with. A single woman could be at risk anywhere in the world, even on your own street, but you have a comfort level in places that you are familiar with. Strange places should be approached with a sense of caution, but not fear. Plan ahead. Research the things that you would like to see. Talk to the shore excursion people on board... sure, there job is to sell excursion packages, but they are usually helpful in providing other port information. The port lecturer is also a good source of information, and might have tips about safety concerns in particular ports. In some cases, the port lecturer did advise to avoid certain areas.

RuthC is a single woman that travels alone and has travelled the world. She is a frequent poster on this board and could probably answer your questions much better than I can. I do hope you have the opportunity to do a world cruise... we loved it, and I'm sure you would, also.

If you haven't seen it, the schedule for the HAL Amsterdam 2007 Grand World Voyage and the Prinsendam 2007 South America and Mediteranean Grand voyages are on another thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=207955

Pricing should be available in less than a month.

Hemi001... be sure to give the AussieGal a big hug from Slinkie and Grumpy. She is a very special lady and it was certainly a pleasure to meet her and be shown Melbourne by her. I took very few pictures in Melbourne... it was her fault... we were so wrapped up in conversation with her as she showed us the sights, that I kept forgetting that I should take some pictures... We cherish the time spent with her more than pictures, though...

Grumpy,,

All your pics are GREAT, but I could not run the slideshow on

Prinsendam 2005 World Voyage, Sri Lanka to Durban, So Africa

But I could click thru the pictures.

About RuthC.,,,, a DOM with a Chocolate Bar.... and RuthC could be kidnapped :)

As a sidenote: one nice feature of my D2H, is audio recording. I can take a picture and hit a button on the back of the camera and record a message. Then when I download the pictures on to my laptop, I get two files, the JPG and a WAV file if I recorded a message with that picture. I am sure other camera can do this, but it is not a common feature but is GREAT for travel photo. :)

Hmmmm, not a clue why that album won't run as a slideshow... I tried it... url appears correct, but first pic doesn't show up... Guess your stuck with paging through them:(

My first digital camera, a Kodak DC220 had the audio annotation feature, too. It came in handy for inspection work as I could make an audio note in places where pulling out the notebook and pencil was rather tricky... like hanging onto the side of a television tower 1200ft in the air... The drawback to that camera was the fact that the lens was not wide angle... about equivalent to a 50mm on a 35mm camera, and on those towers you can't step back to get everything into the field of view... Well, you can.. but only once...

The Minolta, with a lens that is equivalent to a 28-210 macro zoom did an excellent job of taking the pictures, but I had to use a notepad or a digital voice recorder in addition.... Now you can get cameras that do it all, and in a smaller size... I haven't started looking at the latest ones yet... but Christmas is coming...:)

Hi Grumpy,

Thank you for your response. For the one, it's as usual, just use common sense. Normally when I venture off on my own, I always make sure one person knows where I'm going and when I expect to be back. That relieves my only fear.

Now the bigger problem.............. which of the three cruises!! What fun it will be trying to decide!!

All the best to you and Slinkie.

Hi Grumpie and Slinkie,

I have just spent an enjoyable hour viewing all of your photos and they are truly awesome. Hong Kong is among my favorite cities in the world and the Jumbo restaurant holds many wonderful memories. Thanks for bringing them back. We can only hope that our dialogue and pictures of our 2006 Priinsendam World Cruise will be as special as yours has been for so many of us throughout the year.

We are sailing the British Isles on the Prinsendam August 23 and will think of the two of you as we experience the ship and its wonderful staff and crew. You have made the world an exciting adventure for all of us. May God bless you noth with many more happy and healthy years together, and may your next voyage be as special as this one!

Fondly,

Karen and Bob

Grumpy,,,

Some kind of software problem. Javascript did not like the way webshots did handled the comment with pic 1691 :confused:

eerr.jpg

Good sluething job... I went into the edit mode and took out the parentheses around the flying fox comment and all appears to be in happiness now.

• 3 weeks later...
Grumpy, I have just added you to "My Favorite Members" on Webshots. Now I just need to set aside some time to go through all your pictures!!!:D

Now I just have to set aside some time to go through the remaining 400 pictures and put up the rest of the albums... by the way, my short reply to Blackbird71 was somewhat in response to the "short post thread." No, is too short. Nope, works:D

Kathie, thanks! I wasn't past 5000 when I wrote that last Saturday. I was at like 4995. I'm with you ... could not live without the internet.

Blackbird, Grumpy was referring to another thread about short posts. We have to use at least 4 "characters" so Grumpy was suggesting that instead of "No" we could say "Nope" and it would work.

• 2 weeks later...

Grumpy, I want to thank you again for all your posts and answers to questions from me and others about the Prinsendam.

I am eager to board Her Thanksgiving day as we sail to Brazil and up the Amazon River. I had a lot of fear of this trip, thinking that this ship was too small, but you have reassured me and your discription of the ship and her captain has been wonderful.

We have our shots and have sent in all the stuff for our visas. Gotten the Prescriptions from our doctors for incase pills and preventive pills.

If I had known all that was involved in this trip, I probably would never have booked it. (Ignorance can be a blessing) So as soon as our visas arrive back to us, I think I will get the suitcases out (in reality, they have not been put away yet, from our road trip this summer up the East Coast.

Again Thank you and I must tell you that I am enjoying your pictures that make me feel as if I have been around the world.

Thanks BJ

Again Thank you and I must tell you that I am enjoying your pictures that make me feel as if I have been around the world.

Thanks BJ

CG,

I did the Manaus to Fort Lauderdale on Raddisson' Mariner. Here :) Other than the couple cabin photos there is a taste of the Amazon and some islands.

Ah the Shot lady, the shot I needed for the Amazon I had to go to a Public Health Clinic in Monroe LA. Paid the $60 for the shot and waited until it was my turn with the Shot Nurse. She did the shot, and then turn to me and said, "I have other shots I can give you if you want" .:eek:

My only sugguestion is if you go to Devils Island you may want to bring a folding walking stick. The stone steps to the top of the island are wet and without a hand rail.

CG,

I did the Manaus to Fort Lauderdale on Raddisson' Mariner. Here :) Other than the couple cabin photos there is a taste of the Amazon and some islands.

Thank you ever so much. I loved the photos and it gives me a little idea of what to expect.

My father always wanted to do a cruise up the Amazon and since he has passed without doing so, I feel that I am doing it for him as well as myself.

I am getting a bit excited now that we have all our shots and papers filled out for visa and the visa service emailing me that they have received them.

Also have prescriptions from my doctor for an incase antibotic that he insists that I take with me and of course the pills to prevent malaria. My husband got malaria while in service many years ago and yet he still gets a reoccurance now and then so I want to make sure that I protect myself.

Again I loved the pictures and my you look good dressed up.

BJ

CG,

I do not know what type cabin you got, but I had a balcony and I spend most of my waking time on the Amazon on it.

My room stewardess was from Spain, and every day on the Amazon she would point to my sliding door to the balcony and say, "Close at night, no bugs no bugs" :D Myself, I brought bug spray but never used it.

The people only get a limited number of cruise ships a year and are very friendly. I still kick myself for not buying a 1 foot long Blow Gun (Mmm did Grumpy buy one and attack the ACDs --hi2.gif Grumpy) At Parintins Brazil we tendered ashore. The Captain of the Mariner had made a "donation" to the local version of the Boy Scouts, and there was 20 or so Boy Scouts as we got off the tender and in the small area of shops and stalls to help people. Also some police.

Blackbird is a very careful cruiser when it comes to eating and drinking ashore. At the dance show at Parintins, included with the show was a mixed drink, local beer and water, but I brought a bottle of water from the ship to drink but that is just me. Ok in Barbados, I was forced, I tell you forced to drink a planters punch at a local rum shop... hehehe

In Feb it is high water time of the year on the Amazon and there is a lot of "green matter" in the water. I enjoyed seating on my balcony at night and watching the small white birds trying to attack the ship. :eek: The lookouts on the bridge had their spotlights on a night, and you would see them spotlight and follow a large pieces of trees as we passed.

All in all a cruise I have wanted to do for many years and enjoyed very much.

Archived