Rookie cruiser requests your input please.

jaxncat

We are going on our first cruise to Progreso and Cozumel. I have questions. We do not care to swim or do "beachy" things, and wish only to see a few interesting sights, shop (mainly for silver and leather goods), enjoy a great lunch and possibly a margarita or two. We only have a day at each stop and I do not want to have to rush or wonder if we are going to make it back to the ship on time, so we do not wish to try to do more than time would allow. Of course I want the best bargains and I have read many of the other postings about shopping off the "main drag", but would some of you please tell me perhaps names of shops that have the best buys on silver jewelry (no gemstones), just 0.925 silver) and leather handbags (designer-like). How do I know which places will haggle on the price and which will not? Also, any other recommendations would be welcomed and appreciated. Any thoughts on things/places to avoid would also be welcomed. Thank you all so much for your assistance. I hate surprises and would like to avoid any pitfalls if possible.

Your best bet for this sort of information is on the Ports of Call Board. You will be able to research the port and receive answers from all cruisers on all cruiselines. You can also post questions specific to the port in question.

We enjoyed Cozumel when we were there a few years ago, and it was one of our favorite stops. We opted to go to Paradise beach with our several members of our Roll Call. Afterwards we walked around the shopping area near the pier and bought a few things. It was a great day and we will definitely go back to this port.

Almost every place in those stops will haggle. There are a few shops, say in progresso with a table for $5 silver pinkie rings or $10 earnings and rings that wouldnt haggle at those prices, but for the most part they will haggle. Cozumel you could take a taxi into downtown, but then you might not find as much tourist stuff.

If you are looking for jewelry you might as well stick around at the tourist areas, not as much in the local areas.

Get as far away from the port as you can and start walking so you are on the outskirts of the tourist areas, so they might be more hungry for your dollars. Be careful in the shops, the cheaper ones might not be selling you the gemstones they claim. I have a tanzinite Im suspect of. Even most of those selling stones dont really know if its real or not, not even the lady onboard who gave a talk on "how to spot a fake tanzinite" she just talks, doesnt have a clue, you need a expert. Just having it on a receipt doesnt prove its real. It can be a crapshot unless you go to a Carnival store, and then prices are so inflated 300% because of kickbacks, you dont get a deal.

Its not safe buying expensive jewlery in ports. Iv done it, paid $350 for a sapphire ring turns out bidz.com would sell for less than $100.

Unless you are a expert, just buy trinkets you like, dont buy the expensive stuff ... spoken for someone who loves to shop. Go and enjoy yourself, but these are not the place for the unwary.

Please read my review of the Inspiration below from three years ago. We did a cooking excursion and had an absolute blast! It was the highlight of our trip and we would do it again in a heartbeat. This was in Cozumel. Enjoy whatever you decide.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First, you've got two great ports.

Cozumel is VERY commercial but has a ton of great shopping opportunities. You can visit Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, Senior Frog's, the Hard Rock and a ton of other places on the main drag in San Miguel, the largest town on the island.

You'll make port at Puerta Maya and you'll need to get a cab to town. It'll cost $7 for up to 4 passengers. You can snag a cab anywhere to get back.

Progreso is wonderful. Lots of little shops, no big name restaurants and clubs. For lunch I'd recommend Le St. Bonnett, a wonderful little restaurant on the Malecon, the street that fronts the beach. You can also get a ride on a double decker bus for $2 a person.

Some folks like to take the bus to Merida for shopping but that's not my style.

Regardless, you'll have a fantastic time on your voyage!!!

:)

Archived