Which Western Caribbean itinerary would you suggest?

Mestiza Queen

Hi everyone – I’ve been following the boards very closely as we get ready to book our first ever cruise. We are planning to do a 20-year vow renewal with Carnival this September, and thought a cruise would be the best way to do it in style.

My dilemma – we are interested in the Western Caribbean itineraries but are torn between the two that are being offered in September. The Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale does the 8-days to Puerto Rico – St. Thomas – Antigua – Tortola – Nassau. The Liberty out of Miami does the 7-days to Half Moon Cay – Puerto Rico – St. Thomas – Grand Turk. We were pretty set on the Freedom since we really wanted to see Atlantis, but I’m now realizing it is a shorter port day (12-7 pm), and I’m are not sure if the short time is worth the day expense (we would be doing Atlantis on our own, not with Carnival). All other ports average about equal for us.

My questions for those who have done these routes: Will Atlantis be worth it considering the time frame? If not, and assuming we take Nassau out of the equation, which itinerary is preferable? It would be me, DH, our daughters (8 and 12), and my parents. We are very much a shopping and beach family (not really into snorkeling or very active ), and I think we should get a good balance between the two itineraries. But if Atlantis will not be doable, then we would want the best beach and shopping opportunities.

If it has any bearing, flying into either Florida port is equal as well, though I understand Miami is a bit of a headache and we may have to shuttle in due to cheaper flights from Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks for any advice which will help make our decision easier. :confused:

MQ

You said you were interested in a western tour but all the places you name are Eastern side. If the eastern part is what you want, have you considered the Glory out of port Canaveral? Nice Ship easy port. I believe they have a airport transfer from Orlando to use. Nassau is a nice port and I have been to Atlantis twice. Nice place. I prefer the western side myself. Nothing like Cozumel. Enjoy.

Like Bubba said you are talking about ports of call in the Eastern Caribbean. It is the Carnival Dream that has now taken the place of Glory out of Port Canaveral. LOVED this new ship! Like Bubba, I too love the Western Caribbean and we will be sailing on the Valor there in February :)

My dilemma – we are interested in the Western Caribbean itineraries but are torn between the two that are being offered in September. The Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale does the 8-days to Puerto Rico – St. Thomas – Antigua – Tortola – Nassau. The Liberty out of Miami does the 7-days to Half Moon Cay – Puerto Rico – St. Thomas – Grand Turk. ]

The Freedom is 8 days - which would probably tip the scale for me- it's nice when you're mid-week and realize you're not mid-vacation yet. On a 7 day cruise, after 3 days you're half way done!

Freedom will give you 4 beach days and 5 shopping days (San Juan is a late day stop- probably too late to get to the beach)

Never done the Liberty itinerary, but I believe Half Moon Cay is a private island - you're not going to get much shopping -- only beach. That leaves 3 days beach and 3 days shopping.

I've gone out of both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and the only advantage to Ft Lauderdale is it's a little closer to the airport.

My opinion - all the Caribbean stops have similar merchandise. You'll see the same t-shirts and refrigerator magnets in St. Thomas as in Antigua - except for the name of the island. But I'm not a big shopper - I could have missed a lot.

It's a toss up for me. Half Moon Cay....ROCKS! We love Grand Turk, also. We like just hanging on the beaches and pretending we're the cool cruisers in a commercial. :D

Atlantis is GREAT (and we like Blackbeard's Cay also), but the rest of Nassau...not so much. I can't imagine figuring Nassau into a cruise. If we never see it again, we'll be fine. However, everyone should go at least once. Makes you really appreciate the Cozumel's, Grand Cayman and Roatan's of the world. ;) If you're there from 12-7, it's plenty of time. It only takes about 15-20 minutes to get to Atlantis from the pier via the water taxi. It's 3 bucks per person.

Puerto Rico is just OK. Once was enough....we've never gotten off there again. Even when we flew in there years ago, we hit the taxi and jumped on board. The fort is neat...worth a see. If you're there late, don't bother.

St. Thomas had pretty good shopping, so that's a plus for you if that's your thing. We love Magen's Bay, also. The last time we were there, I bet there wasn't 100 people on that beach. Not sure what was up, but it was a great day.

Love Antigua and Tortola. Beautiful places and the people were very friendly. By the way, these are Eastern itineraries. Just sayin... :)

As an FYI...we've never had any problems in Miami, although we typically leave from Port Canaveral. LOVE that terminal!!! Easy, breezy...

I'd probably choose the 8 day....just for the extra day. Leaving always stinks. Whichever you choose, enjoy!

I would choose the 8-day itinerary on the Freedom. Actually, the whole itinerary (apart from having Nassau and omitting Half Moon Cay) sounds incredible to me.

Atlantis is okay but doesn't live up to the hype. Unless you purchase a day pass at Atlantis ($$$$$ IF it's still available - I haven't checked in a good long while), you won't get the full experience. There are guards who prohibit you passing a certain point.

Half Moon Cay is truly a wonderful beach day. When we were there, the beach was the most beautiful one I'd ever seen. (My favorite now is West Bay in Roatan). Other cruise passengers left early though because the sun was scorching the day we were there. We rented a clam shell, though, and had a long, fantastic day.

Overall, I'd take the extra day on the Freedom and enjoy it. It always seems like cruises go by way too fast.

Archived