Warnemunde to Schwerin in a day by train?

cruise126

We shall be arriving on the Eclipse on Tuesday 15th June.It will be docked from 07.00 till 21.30. If possible we would like to visit Schwerin(especially the castle) and if time permits to have a look around Rostock on the way back.If this is practicable we would prefer being back on the ship by around 18.00. My questions are these.

1.Roughly how far away is the station at Warnemonde from the dock

2.Where could I obtain train times in english and the best type of fare

3.On the map the castle at Schwerin looks a fair distance from the station.Could we get a bus to the castle?

Thank you for your replies

Charles

Hi Fellow CruisersCharles (and Steve)-

I believe we are in port at different times than you have posted. (9am to 11:59pm).

Here is a link from HeinBloed re: the train

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1027215&highlight=train+schwerin

We are heading to Schwerin, too, only via rental car which is becoming a huge headache since we will have to go into Rostock to pick it up now that Hertz no longer has an outlet by the pier in Warnemunde.

I sent for a bunch of brochures from links from www.germany-tourism.de/index_ENG.htm. Schwerin has a local brew that I am definitely going to sample.

I believe we are in port at different times than you have posted. (9am to 11:59pm).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1027215&highlight=train+schwerin

We are heading to Schwerin, too, only via rental car which is becoming a huge headache since we will have to go into Rostock to pick it up now that Hertz no longer has an outlet by the pier in Warnemunde.

I sent for a bunch of brochures from links from www.germany-tourism.de/index_ENG.htm. Schwerin has a local brew that I am definitely going to sample.

Thank you for your info.Yes you are correct regarding the Eclipse arrival/departure times.Will follow up the links that you have supplied

Charles/Steve

Interesting... My suggestion of a FriendsofDave tour and your reply to that seem to have dissappeared?

Perhaps a moderator thought I was Dave? I am not that Dave and not affiliated in any way. Moderator if those posts were indeed removed, what did I do wrong?

I'd check the Hertz situation directly with the Hertz office by phone - they speak great English and were there last July (but Hertz central knew nothing about it) .. sorry can't find any numbers.

David

We took the train to Wismar and Schwerin last year. It was very easy and a great way to spend the day.. They were having a Swedish Day celebration when we were in Wismar and that added to the fun. BUGA, the large German flower show was taking place around the castle in Schwerin.

As I recall it was 26 euros for the entire train trip and that included four adults. Very easy to take the train. Relaxing time and a fantastic day of exploring northern Germany

The situation with HERTZ has totally changed as the licensee went bancrupt.

Check here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22778323#post22778323

Warnemünde - Schwerin is easy to do by train.

You can check here for train schedule 2010 and ticketing.

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/12/warnemunde-germany-train-services-2010.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 months later...

Could you possibly explain this procedure to a west-coaster who is a complete idiot about public transportation?

We took the train to Wismar and Schwerin last year. It was very easy and a great way to spend the day.. They were having a Swedish Day celebration when we were in Wismar and that added to the fun. BUGA, the large German flower show was taking place around the castle in Schwerin.

As I recall it was 26 euros for the entire train trip and that included four adults. Very easy to take the train. Relaxing time and a fantastic day of exploring northern Germany

OK, after playing around with the site for a while, I think I figured it out. For the lower price I will need to get the "local" ticket that is good for up to 5 people. Is there an advantage to buying online or is it the same to buy at the station? Also, do the ticket machines accept credit cards?

Could you possibly explain this procedure to a west-coaster who is a complete idiot about public transportation?

Here you find a lot of subjects which will give you answers:

http://www.heinbloed-on-tour.de/

For you let me mark the most essentials for getting from Warnemünde to Schwerin and back...

1. you must from the ship to the train station:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemunde-germany-train-station-guide.html

Your ship berth at Pier 8 at Terminal 2. So 5 minutes more to walk...

2. you must select a train and fare:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/12/warnemunde-germany-train-services-2010.html

especially for Schwerin:

time:

ScheduleHamburg20101-vi.jpg

Schwerin is on the half way to Hamburg.

fare:

FaresSchwerin2010-vi.jpg

Now it's the job to find the right combination of time and fare:

July 13, 2010 (= Tuesday)

Your ship arrives 09.00 hrs.

Your ship leaves 23.59 hrs (= midnight)

Best time:

to Schwerin

09.52 hrs from Warnemünde in a red-marked IC InterCity Long-Distance Train Service

from Schwerin

20.32 hrs from Schwerin in a red-marked IC InterCity Long-Distance Train Service which arrives 22.01 hrs back in Warnemünde.

Now let's see the fare... (no idea how many you are in your party...)

You see 40.00 EUR for a party of 1

200.00 EUR for a party of 5...

If you pre-purchase you can get discounted tickets

30.00 EUR for a party of 1

90.00 EUR for a party of 5...

BUT now you see that you can also make it...

WEEKDAYS after 09.00 hrs...

18.00 EUR for a party of 1

26.00 EUR for a party of 5...

but only in Regional trains (black marked)...

Now you go back to the schedule to find the right times for this ticket...

10.22 hrs from Warnemünde... arrives 12.03 hrs at Schwerin Central Station (= Hbf = Hauptbahnhof) or 12.14 hrs at Schwerin Mitte (Center)

19.48 hrs from Schwerin Mitte or 12.51 from Schwerin Hbf and you are back in Warnemünde 21.21 hrs

That's about 7.30 hours spend time in Schwerin...

Too much...

find youself another black marked train coming back from Schwerin to Warnemünde if you want to still go back on the same ticket for 18.00 EUR or 26.00 EUR...

So you find the best combination of price and time which fits your demand...

Choose if you want to go 2nd class or 1st class which makes it about 60% higher:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemunde-train-1st-class-vs-2nd-class.html

3. you buy the tickets:

buy at the counter... (Ländertickets a slightly more expensive there...)

buy at the machine at the station...

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemunde-train-1st-class-vs-2nd-class.html

but that's new from April 1, 2010: you can buy it from the internet as online-ticket and make a print-out at your home's PC and printer:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/04/warnemunde-kiel-lubeck-hamburg-germany.html

4. taking the train from Warnemünde to Rostock and change your train to Schwerin:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-train-and.html

5. Getting around in Schwerin:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/12/schwerin-germany.html

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/schwerin-germany-walking-and-public.html

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/schwerin-germany-buga-2009.html

From these three postings you need to find out what you want to do and what might be the best for you and ask...

It's was not made especially for a West-Coaster...

but if West-Coaster need to know more to feel comfortable and safe:

do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

HeinBloed

N. B. When Arnie finishes his plans of having a high speed train from San Francisco to Los Angeles you will never ask again and perfect train user...

OK, after playing around with the site for a while, I think I figured it out. For the lower price I will need to get the "local" ticket that is good for up to 5 people. Is there an advantage to buying online or is it the same to buy at the station? Also, do the ticket machines accept credit cards?

Good - all my work to explain it to a West-Coaster in detail for "nothing..." - the explaination for East-Coasters worked also for a West-Coaster... ha ha....

Yes - you need a "local" better a "regional"...

Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 5 persons...

26.00 EUR if you travel in 2nd class

46.00 EUR if you travel in 1st class

The advantage: you can do it perfectly at home without hassle and pay with your credit card.

The disadvantage: guess it's raining dogs or cats or you have a blizzard (chance less than 0.0000000000001 %) and decide to stay on board and have a day in the spa... or it's so stormy that the Captain decided not to call Warnemünde (happened on 1 weekend in 2009) than you are stucked and 26.00 EUR (5 cocktails on board) are lost...

You will have plenty of time to buy at the station:

personally at counter which is slightly higher than buying at the machine.

Both options allow you to use your credit card.

Instructions are giving in the other posting.

Regards

HeinBloed

Oh certainly not for nothing! I would never have gotten anywhere without going step-by-step through your incredible blog. We Californians tend to be pretty much married to our cars and clueless about public transportation. And, of course, you Europeans are light years ahead of us in this area. The powers-that-be have been trying for some time to get high speed rail from where I am up here in the San Francisco Bay area down to Los Angeles and it hasn't really gone anywhere.

Anyway, thank you so much. I am really looking forward to seeing the lovely town of Schwerin and the incredible castle. Since our ship doesn't leave until 11:59 we will hopefully have a little time to see Warnemunde too.

Good - all my work to explain it to a West-Coaster in detail for "nothing..." - the explaination for East-Coasters worked also for a West-Coaster... ha ha....

If you do decide to walk (at least in one direction) from the main train station (Hbf) it's kind on a nice walk through the old town and along the water to the castle. We did that and ended up closer to the Mitte station when it was time to return. So, we walked up there instead of the Haupt Banhof for the return journey.

Yes, I think we will walk. I read somewhere - can't remember where now - that maps were readily available once in Schwerin. Did you find this to be the case? Was it easy to find your way around? Thanks for your feedback.

If you do decide to walk (at least in one direction) from the main train station (Hbf) it's kind on a nice walk through the old town and along the water to the castle. We did that and ended up closer to the Mitte station when it was time to return. So, we walked up there instead of the Haupt Banhof for the return journey.

Dear HeinBloed,

Thank you for your blog. From my reading of your blog, I presume you prefer Lubeck > Schwerin > Wismar? Will be on Eurodam arriving July 20th, Tuesday with my family of 4. we figure to go to Schwerin, since my boy likes to visit castles and palaces. Ship arrives at 6AM.

From your blog, I gather we will take 10:22 AM to Rostock, change train at Rostock (track 6) and get off at Schwerin Mitte station at 12:14PM. The fare would be 26 Euro for the group one way, second class or 46 Euro one way, first calss correct?

You mentioned price is cheaper after 9AM, would that be from Warnemunde or from Rostock? If it's from Rostock, we can than take the 8:22 AM regional train departing Warnemunde and catch the 9:07 AM train departing Rostock instead?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Yes, I think we will walk. I read somewhere - can't remember where now - that maps were readily available once in Schwerin. Did you find this to be the case? Was it easy to find your way around? Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, it was easy to get around. Let me give you the link to the tourist information office, which offers free maps. I have also attached a general city map that I have in PDF form.

http://www.schwerin.com/english/Our-Services/Tourist-Information-Centre

Schwerin City Map.pdf

Dear HeinBloed,

Thank you for your blog. From my reading of your blog, I presume you prefer Lubeck > Schwerin > Wismar? Will be on Eurodam arriving July 20th, Tuesday with my family of 4. we figure to go to Schwerin, since my boy likes to visit castles and palaces. Ship arrives at 6AM.

If you really like to go on all three places and you are on EURODAM which arrives very early and you can leave early and you do not mind to pay a little extra:

23.00 EUR for all four of you (if your boys are younger than 14 years):

06.32 hrs departs from Warnemünde

06.53 hrs arrives in Rostock Hbf (Hauptbahnhof = Central Station)

07.06 hrs departs from Rostock Hbf

08.15 hrs arrives in Wismar

From your blog, I gather we will take 10:22 AM to Rostock, change train at Rostock (track 6) and get off at Schwerin Mitte station at 12:14PM. The fare would be 26 Euro for the group one way, second class or 46 Euro one way, first calss correct?

No - not fully correct:

Correct: 26.00 EUR for 2nd class or 46.00 EUR for 1st class

BUT it's a day pass: if you start at 10.22 hrs your return trip is already included in this price!!! - so it's outward and return for this price.

You mentioned price is cheaper after 9AM, would that be from Warnemunde or from Rostock? If it's from Rostock, we can than take the 8:22 AM regional train departing Warnemunde and catch the 9:07 AM train departing Rostock instead?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

It's just 1.70 EUR pp for a single ticket to Rostock to cover the time to 09.00 hrs before the other ticket becomes valid.

Kids pay 1.20 EUR.

So you can go for a little more and you are two hours earlier in Schwerin.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived