Uploading Video or Photo's from the ship

Jo and Rob

I am intending to upload very short video clips (approx 3mb) using my laptop onboard the Crown Princess connecting to the internet via their satellite wifi to my Smug Mug website. I have heard that some file sharing sites are blocked and I understand that it is also very slow. But has anybody had any success uploading video or photo's to Smug Mug, You Tube, Flickr, Photobucket whilst onboard a cruise ship?

Cheers Rob

I am intending to upload very short video clips (approx 3mb) using my laptop onboard the Crown Princess connecting to the internet via their satellite wifi to my Smug Mug website. I have heard that some file sharing sites are blocked and I understand that it is also very slow. But has anybody had any success uploading video or photo's to Smug Mug, You Tube, Flickr, Photobucket whilst onboard a cruise ship?

Cheers Rob

I was on Royal Caribbean in August. The wireless Internet was an okay speed. But the prices were super high! The base price is 55 cents/minute, but if you pre-pay and buy a whole bunch of minutes, you can get it down to 37 cents/minute.

I don't think Royal Caribbean blocked any of the Web sites I went on. But I'd hate to see you stare at your laptop screen, watching the $$$ slowly fly away as you're trying to upload video using their slow Internet service. :)

When we were on a South Pacific cruise I maintained a blog for the trip and posted a few pictures along with the text. It wasn't horribly expensive, but the pictures were tiny compared to even small video clips. I was using Google's Blogger and posted a couple of pics to my PBase site. I didn't visit Facebook, but there didn't seem to be restrictions in place.

I would definitely opt for the pre-paid minutes!

Dave

Archived