I feel so sorry for today's Rhapsody of the Seas passengers!

jldev

The Rhapsody of the Seas is in port at Wellington today and I feel so sorry for it's passengers! The weather today is so freezing cold and so much for a summer cruise - I bet they feel like they are on a winter cruise. So I recommend to anyone cruising around New Zealand, especially when around Wellington and the South Island, pack a warm set of clothes. The people today will wish they had packed a beanie and mittens!

jldev,

Thank you so much. My wife just asked the question two days ago..."What do I wear for our cruise on Rapsody next week?" My reply was: For Sydney plan on shorts. For North New Zealand maybe Capris or long pants. For South Island just pretend your in Alaska in July and you will pack correctly. Maybe those long johns might come in handy. We will be coming with some winter close. Thanks for the weather update.

You also need a windbreak on a ship, as that cold wind goes right through you.

Marions got it right...

It may be cool , but not freezing,

its the chill factor in the wind.

Light windbreakers are the go,

and layer, so you can adjust to the day.

12 degrees and rain? Sounds like what it's been like every time I've visited Wellington in the summer! ;) :D

Hi all,

We're having a really strange summer here in NZ this year, with wide variations in temperatures. For the past month, it's been colder and windier than usual.

Alexandra (in the South Island) had 27 degrees yesterday (lovely and hot) while Wellington and several towns in the south of the North Island shivered.

But they had a glorious, hot day in Auckland, for the "Big Day Out", a music festival.

I guess that travellers to NZ should prepare for mixed weather. Dressing in layers is the best idea, together with a light windbreaker.

The Rhapsody of the Seas is in port at Wellington today and I feel so sorry for it's passengers! The weather today is so freezing cold and so much for a summer cruise - I bet they feel like they are on a winter cruise. So I recommend to anyone cruising around New Zealand, especially when around Wellington and the South Island, pack a warm set of clothes. The people today will wish they had packed a beanie and mittens!

That was us! Just got back from our cruise yesterday, and yes the weather in Wellington and Christchurch was a shocker. We did a driving tour around Wellington in the morning a bit of a walk about, the museum for a bit, which was crowded because of the weather, and were back onboard by 2.30pm. Never mind, Wellington looks beautiful anyway and we'll be back one day.

We had reasonably nice weather for the first week of our cruise and lousy weather for the 2nd, but had such a wonderful time on board the Rhapsody that it didnt matter much.

That was us! Just got back from our cruise yesterday, and yes the weather in Wellington and Christchurch was a shocker. We did a driving tour around Wellington in the morning a bit of a walk about, the museum for a bit, which was crowded because of the weather, and were back onboard by 2.30pm. Never mind, Wellington looks beautiful anyway and we'll be back one day.

We had reasonably nice weather for the first week of our cruise and lousy weather for the 2nd, but had such a wonderful time on board the Rhapsody that it didnt matter much.

Glad you had a great holiday, we look forward to our cruise in April, cant wait !! Can you tell me if VB beer was available on board? I am hearing conflicting reports, tho when I spoke to people from Royal, they did say yes it was. Cheers

12 degrees and rain? Sounds like what it's been like every time I've visited Wellington in the summer! ;) :D

Poor old Wellington ..

always get hammered, but I just smile to myself.

Been there several times, on cruises, holidays and business,

and every single time

I have had clear blue sunny skies, and no wind.

Guess my day will come sometime:D

I cant wait to experience some of New Zealands cooler weather. I am so over our Queensland summer.

I just wanted you to know that Milford Sound (of all places!) had today's hottest temperature in NZ - 26 degrees! Anyone cruising there in those temperatures will not need hat and gloves!

Marions got it right...

It may be cool , but not freezing,

its the chill factor in the wind.

Light windbreakers are the go,

and layer, so you can adjust to the day.

Hi there David,

Just returned after a wonderful trip on the Diamond Syd to Auckland. Spent a week extra on the north island AND happened to have lunch on the foreshore of your lovely Orewa. What a nice place. We went to Goat Island that day, and fell in love with a couple of the bays just south of there...possible retirement??

As for the weather situation. We had smooth seas all the way, except one day at 9m, but on this ship you wouldn't have know there was even a swell. Plus we were on deck14 at the front of ship. Very cold in the Sounds and very windy. Windy and cool elsewhere in the south, but nice days. The north was just perfect. I was wearing a thick cardigan when we flew back into Sydney, only to find a 43 degree day. Met people that were on the Dawn Princess, I think 3-4 days behind us....they had terrible seas, lots of sickness from weather onboard, and cold and wet at each port. Didn't get into Christchurch, went to Akaroa and tendered ashore....port was overbooked in Christchurch.

So........do take layers everyone.....each cruise appears different as the weather and tides don't take notice of our seasons of summer/winter.

Cheers,

Jen and Bob

Glad you had a great holiday, we look forward to our cruise in April, cant wait !! Can you tell me if VB beer was available on board? I am hearing conflicting reports, tho when I spoke to people from Royal, they did say yes it was. Cheers

I don't drink beer so didn't notice - sorry can't help.

They have mostly American food and drinks, but there was Vegemite so I think you would stand a good chance of getting VB :)

Hi there David,

Just returned after a wonderful trip on the Diamond Syd to Auckland. Spent a week extra on the north island AND happened to have lunch on the foreshore of your lovely Orewa. What a nice place. We went to Goat Island that day, and fell in love with a couple of the bays just south of there...possible retirement??

Hi Jen and Bob,

Great to hear you enjoyed your time here.

We took early retirement, and bought on the hill overlooking the bay,

and just love living on this coast.

Goat Island is amazing, and the coast from there, back to here is fantastic.

Orewa has really come away since the new "toll road" has been built behind us.

We are getting our beach back again without State Highway 1 going through Main Street.

Just hope Orewa does not develop into another Surfers Paradise......

but with the lie of the land,

and developers holdings...

I am not holding my breath.

Hope you have a great time on Rhapsody. We are from SoCal too. We were on that cruise also and it was much like our Sept Alaska cruise. It always rains on our trips so since we won't be there next week you'll have great weather! Just bring a raincoat and some layers. It did pour down in Wellington. We rode the cablecar, walked the botanical gardens and then went to Starbucks to dry off and warm up. It was a blast! My mom is from England and the weather seemed much like there, don't know if it's always like that.

OP, thank you for your post! I'm just about to start my packing for our cruise on Rhapsody next week (I'm glad you didn't post that she sank:eek:) and will bring a couple of extra items for layering. I may even dig out the thermal undies, California wimp that I am!

No need for thermal undies - jeans/long trousers and a rain/windproof jacket over a sweater is plenty. It might be cold for summer, but its not likely to be less than around 12 degrees celcius and you may be lucky and have a lovely day.

One thing not to forget is your seasick medicine! The ride back was about 36 hours of major bouncing. DH never gets seasick and he was flat on his back. The centrum was a ghost town. Waves were hitting the WJ windows. Very exciting!

Oh, great. I just had that kind of ride back to LA on Mariner - 20 foot waves and 70 mph winds. I was fine until dinner on the second night, when we added some cross-beam swells.:eek:

I just wanted you to know that Milford Sound (of all places!) had today's hottest temperature in NZ - 26 degrees! Anyone cruising there in those temperatures will not need hat and gloves!

where i come from 26 degrees is a beautiful mild day the average is 33-36 and up to the 40.s sometimes,i cant wait for cooler weather

i'm hoping nz is not too hot or humid cold is easier to deal with (but not freezing cold obviously)

jackiedanny:)

where i come from 26 degrees is a beautiful mild day the average is 33-36 and up to the 40.s sometimes,i cant wait for cooler weather

i'm hoping nz is not too hot or humid cold is easier to deal with (but not freezing cold obviously)

jackiedanny:)

Sure. I just wanted to let those Californians know that they won't need thermal underwear, as some seem to think! ;)

We did the 13 day cruise from Sydney to New Zealand in November and the temperatures were cold and sunny in Dunedin, Christchurch was sunny and mild temperatures and Wellington was sunny and mild temperatures.

We ended up wraping out jackets around our waists and rode the cable car to the top and then walked down thrugh the Botanical Gardens through the rose garden and walked all the way to the museum (which was a long way). It was a nice day.

Archived