US United States to NYC?

smeyer418

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/11/a-push-to-bring-the-ss-united-states-back-home/

A couple of comments. The recent refurb of the Intrepid and the pier it sits on cost well over $100,000,000. Most of the money came from the Hudson River Park Trust. This is public money sort of. The Hudson River Park Trust "owns" the piers and most of the west side of Manhattan past the bulkhead line. Battery Park City is part of the this "trust"(its money in lieu of paying city Real estate taxes goes to the trust). Any access over what is needed to pay for operations is supposed to be transferred to the City. It never is. The Mayor uses this as a piggy bank to pay for things that would otherwise need the approval of elected officials like the city council without getting this approval. Its why he was able to "find" the money for the Intrepid. The governor just "borrowed" either $100million or $250 million from excess funds that are just sitting somewhere in either the Trust or at Battery Park City for the State's budget crisis.

I would in fact like the SS US to be here. I just would rather use the money for schools and other things that are more important. Its ok with me if you would like to contribute but please don't volunteer my money.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGsA

Archived