port or starboard side?

Jo and Rob

When the Crown Princess docks at the different ports is the port or starboard side next to the dock? Is it normally on the port side and that is why port means left? Just a thought!

There's no rule as such, a ship will dock on different sides in different ports and even on different sides in the same ports. We have though generally docked more often on the port side than starboard but other people's experience could be the complete opposite.

In my own experience the ships I have been on seem to favor the port side for docking. However as already stated it could be either side depending on what the port tells the captain. Port versus starboard comes from when ships were first outfitted to use steam and a large paddle wheel mounted on the starboard side of the ship making is difficult to tie up to a pier on the right side of the ship.

Personally I like the port side for no particular reason other than I am more accustomed to that side. It makes it easier to remember which side of the ship my stateroom is located as I cruise on different vessels.

The fact is that there are some ugly ports where I really don't want a view of cranes and shipping containers. And then there are ports where looking toward the town is quite nice. I guess the trick is to get a cabin on each side of the ship and use the one with the prettiest view at any given time.

When the Crown Princess docks at the different ports is the port or starboard side next to the dock? Is it normally on the port side and that is why port means left? Just a thought!

I may be a little off the subject but I have a great way for you to remember how to find the port or starboard side of a ship when getting off the elevator. I know that one side is even numbers and the other is odd but you have to read the number signs to figure that out. An easier way is to look at the carpet in the hallway. If there is a pink wave band, it is the port side. If there is a blue wave band, it is the starboard side. So, as you get off the elevator, just glance at the carpet in the hallway and you will know which way to go.

In my own experience the ships I have been on seem to favor the port side for docking. However as already stated it could be either side depending on what the port tells the captain. Port versus starboard comes from when ships were first outfitted to use steam and a large paddle wheel mounted on the starboard side of the ship making is difficult to tie up to a pier on the right side of the ship.

Almost correct, but it goes back much earlier than steam and paddle wheels......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starboard

The side of the ship facing the pier is determined by many different factors:

Sometimes the harbor authorities tell the captain which side he must dock on.

If the ship is loading or unloading provisions, fuel, water, waste, etc, one side is usually better designed for this than the other.

The gun ports, or exits built into the side of the ship are usually different on each side. Depending on the height of the pier, tides, length of gangways, heights of jetways, etc, one side is usually better than the other.

The only time the Staff Captain's sailors can wash and paint the sides of the ship is when the ship is docked. They are usually only allowed to wash and paint the side facing the pier. They often try to alternate sides in order to keep the windows clean and blemishes painted on both sides of the ship.

Quite often, Captains like to have the ship already pointed out to sea when it is docked. Then when it is time to depart, there is a minimum of fuss and time lost in turning the ship around in the harbor. It is also safer to turn the ship around on a morning arrival - with full light - than it is to try to turn around in the evening when it is getting dark.

But if there has been any type of delay on arrival, it is much faster to just pull the ship up to the pier and get the shore excursions away on time.

In some ports at certain times there can be a rather substantial underwater groundswell current that can bounce the ship around as it is tied to the pier. This can create dangerous conditions at the gangways and create a lot of noise onboard. In this case, the Captain would prefer to have the bow facing into this current to minimize movement and noise.

Some ships can easily take on fresh water or fuel from only one side of the ship. If the ship is bunkering fuel and/or water, they are sometimes forced to have a particular side against the pier.

Archived