Surcharged restaurants - do you tip here also?

Travelergirl

No one tells you if at the surcharged restaurants aboard ships, do you add a tip to the payment as well, or are tips for service included? I hate paying a fee for a meal when I have paid for a supposedly all-inclusive cruise. However, the quality of food in the standard (free) restaurants seems to have gone down. The quality in the surcharged places seems better. But I have paid a surcharge. Do I leave a tip as well? Why doesn't someone tell you this in the cruise brochure booklets? :confused:

When cruise lines started the speciality restrauants the extra charge was for the service.

We seldom use them but if we did, we would not tip extra.

The few times we have used them we did not feel either the food or service was significantly different.

This is my understanding. A tip IS calculated into the surcharge, but most lines give you a place to add a tip if you choose, HAL does not.

Normally we will tip some extra if we feel they merit it. On HAL we give them a cash tip since there is no place to add a tip when we sign the bill.

It is similar to how most lines automatically take out for tips for the crew. Even though, essentially we have paid our tips, normally we still give our steward, the dinning room manager, our waiter, etc. an extra tip. Sometimes a couple of others whom we felt gave us outstanding service. This cruise we gave a tip to a crew person at the coffee bar who waited upon us several times.

So, it boils down to personal choice.

We asked a server on a recent RCCL cruise about the tip in Chops. It cost $25 pp to eat in the restaurant; he told us there waiters receive $8.50 of the $25.

We always tip additional when in the specialty restaurants.

I will tip extra and do it in cash. If you write in an extra amount for service above and beyond what you get elsewhere, the tips will go into the pool. The service we have received in the specialty restaurants has been outstanding. As long as we get that service, we'll leave extra.

Only $8.25 or $16.50 for what usually is a $150 meal is only a little over 10%. I feel better about leaving an extra $10 to $20.

Archived