Reporting back from Mariner 1/2 - 1/10

ColoradoKaren

I wanted to report back on our recent cruise on RCI Mariner of the Seas. I received a lot of helpful information from this site prior to my trip so I thought I'd report back and hopefully help someone else. I'm only reporting on the airport/hotel/transportation/port information here, I hope to do a full trip report on the RCI board later on.

We flew into LAX from Denver on Saturday Jan 2nd the day prior to the cruise. We had reserved a shuttle through Execucar. For 3 of us the cost was $48 from LAX to Crowne Plaza Hotel in San Pedro. I made the reservation 2 days before we left and they said the cost would be $48 for up to 5 people. The van was only for us and made no other stops. It was a Honday Odyssey with plenty of room for luggage. After we picked up our luggage I called the number for Execuar and they picked us up outside within 15 minutes. It was a 25 minute drive to the Crown Plaza Hotel. I prepaid the $48, but paid the tip in cash because I wanted to see what the service was like first.

The Crowne Plaza was a nice hotel. We had a suite with 2 double beds in the bedroom and a pull out sofa in the living room. I booked online because I specifically wanted this set up. Everyone at the hotel was helpful, but we really didn't require any additional service.

We walked to dinner at the Green Onion, which was very good. A lot of food! The portions were huge. After dinner we walked over to the pier, but there really wasn't much to see. Maybe we missed what was over there?

In the morning we took the free hotel shuttle to the port. They stopped at both the Mariner and the Princess ship. We were told the night before that we didn't need reservations and they started at 10:30. We waited until 11:00 and went down to the lobby to catch a shuttle. By then there was just a short wait and we were on our way.

Now, on the way back, we planned to take a taxi to LAX because our flight left at noon and we didn't want to bother waiting for a shuttle. The cost was $59 plus tip. We got off the ship at 8:30, did the luggage valet so didn't have to look for our luggage and were in a cab to the airport by 9:00AM. We arrived at the airport at 9:30 and were through security and at the gate by 9:45.

The timing could vary based on traffic, but this was our experience. The only problem we had was when we got back to Denver we only had 1 bag instead of 3. American Airlines delivered the other 2 bags to our house the next morning at 3 AM. I don't know if the issue with the the cruiseline or the airline.

I hope this helps some one else. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and answer them.

Have fun!

thats great thanks for the info. i have a group of 7 going on feb 14th and we are worried about the flight back being at 11. we booked at 1 but it got changed. we plan on letting the ship know we need to be off early but still are unsure how to get back to LAX.

I wanted to report back on our recent cruise on RCI Mariner of the Seas. I received a lot of helpful information from this site prior to my trip so I thought I'd report back and hopefully help someone else. I'm only reporting on the airport/hotel/transportation/port information here, I hope to do a full trip report on the RCI board later on.

We flew into LAX from Denver on Saturday Jan 2nd the day prior to the cruise. We had reserved a shuttle through Execucar. For 3 of us the cost was $48 from LAX to Crowne Plaza Hotel in San Pedro. I made the reservation 2 days before we left and they said the cost would be $48 for up to 5 people. The van was only for us and made no other stops. It was a Honday Odyssey with plenty of room for luggage. After we picked up our luggage I called the number for Execuar and they picked us up outside within 15 minutes. It was a 25 minute drive to the Crown Plaza Hotel. I prepaid the $48, but paid the tip in cash because I wanted to see what the service was like first.

The Crowne Plaza was a nice hotel. We had a suite with 2 double beds in the bedroom and a pull out sofa in the living room. I booked online because I specifically wanted this set up. Everyone at the hotel was helpful, but we really didn't require any additional service.

We walked to dinner at the Green Onion, which was very good. A lot of food! The portions were huge. After dinner we walked over to the pier, but there really wasn't much to see. Maybe we missed what was over there?

In the morning we took the free hotel shuttle to the port. They stopped at both the Mariner and the Princess ship. We were told the night before that we didn't need reservations and they started at 10:30. We waited until 11:00 and went down to the lobby to catch a shuttle. By then there was just a short wait and we were on our way.

Now, on the way back, we planned to take a taxi to LAX because our flight left at noon and we didn't want to bother waiting for a shuttle. The cost was $59 plus tip. We got off the ship at 8:30, did the luggage valet so didn't have to look for our luggage and were in a cab to the airport by 9:00AM. We arrived at the airport at 9:30 and were through security and at the gate by 9:45.

The timing could vary based on traffic, but this was our experience. The only problem we had was when we got back to Denver we only had 1 bag instead of 3. American Airlines delivered the other 2 bags to our house the next morning at 3 AM. I don't know if the issue with the the cruiseline or the airline.

I hope this helps some one else. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and answer them.

Have fun!

Thanks for the review. We are staying at CP, 4 of us, and thinking of the private execucar vs regular shuttle van. I wasn't sure how they knew when to pick you up at the airport but you answered that question! Any recommendations for other restaurants or things to do while at the CP? Heard there is some shopping at the pier. Worthwhile?

Am I reading this wrong? I am staying at the CP on the evening before my cruise (MR on the mariner of the seas) in April. I have booked Super Shuttle to pick me up at the hotel and take me to the pier for $17/pp. I want to ensure that I am reading this right before I cancel my shuttle. Does Crowne Plaza LAX offer a free shuttle to the pier in San Pedro? If so, would you recommend making reservations or is that not possible?

Tks!

Am I reading this wrong? I am staying at the CP on the evening before my cruise (MR on the mariner of the seas) in April. I have booked Super Shuttle to pick me up at the hotel and take me to the pier for $17/pp. I want to ensure that I am reading this right before I cancel my shuttle. Does Crowne Plaza LAX offer a free shuttle to the pier in San Pedro? If so, would you recommend making reservations or is that not possible?

Tks!

I've read on other posts that the Crowne Plaza has it's own complimentary shuttle to the pier.

I'm sailing on the Mariner in June. Thanks for the travel info. Look forward to reading your cruise review.

thats great thanks for the info. i have a group of 7 going on feb 14th and we are worried about the flight back being at 11. we booked at 1 but it got changed. we plan on letting the ship know we need to be off early but still are unsure how to get back to LAX.

You may have a problem, but will not know until it's all history. The OP sounds like everything went according to plan...it doesn't always work out that way.

To be on the safe side, I'd suggest you reserve a private shuttle van to pick you up and let the ship know you have a very early flight out of LAX. You may even consider taking your own luggage off, so you don't have to spend any time looking for it after you disembark.

Good luck :)

The last poster is correct. The San Pedro Crowne Plaza only has a free shuttle from the hotel to the pier, not to the airport.

Also, if there was shopping at the pier we didn't walk far enough to see it after we ate dinner at the Green Onion.

I agree that an 11 AM flight after the cruise it taking a chance. We made it to the airport in time, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Have fun on your upcoming cruise everyone!

Tks!

I think you booked the shuttle to pick you up at the airport and take you to the Crowne Plaza. The next morning, you can take the free shuttle.

Have a great cruise! Kathy

You mention luggage valet. That sounds like it takes your luggage from your cabin straight to your plane without the need to pick up those bags upon disembarking. I've not heard of that service. How does it work, what does it cost and do experts recommend it?

Archived