How good is Carnival's guaranteed room program?

S10Catman

"How good is Carnival's guaranteed room program?"

Far as I know everyone who has booked under a program that guantees a cabin has gotten one. Therefor I can only conclude that it is a good program. :D

Seriously I have only booked a guaranteed cabin one time and got exactly the cabin that I told my PVP that I wanted. It was assigned within 10 minutes of me booking the cruise. It doesn't get any better than that as far as I am concerned

Dacotah7,

Get a life! If you even read the first post you'd seen I never said I ordered online. As a matter of fact, I use a professional travel agent. Since it has been a while since I've been on Carnival, I wanted some information on the GUARANTEED SUITE/ ROOM that I purchased from my professional travel agent from Carnival. Call it what you wish, but everybody but you seemed to understand what I was asking. So instead of jumping all over someone for asking a question, understand the question first. If you can't offer constuctive information, don't offer anything. Nobody needs your condescending answers. :D:p

Don't worry about a 2 post Troll......

You've seen several responses that I hope have been what you are wanting to know, that yes for the most part booking what is commonly called a guarantee cabin, usually turns out pretty good.

There have been those people though that get the dreaded "upgrade" to the cabin under the gym or over the nightclub. It's a gamble you take when booking guarantee.

I've booked guarantee before, but I don't care where I am, so long as I end up on the ship. If you're picky about where you want to be, a guarantee is not for you. I kind of like not knowing and then the surprise when you find out.

I appreciate everybody's responses less the opiner without a clue! I figured I'd at least get the type room guaranteed otherwise I'd have a very unhappy DW. I guess the upgrade fairy is like all our previous professional travel agent-booked cruiselines, fleeting! :rolleyes: We can wish can't we, if you have no wishes, you never get any surprises! Again thanks for all the responses so far.:)

I've booked guarantee before, but I don't care where I am, so long as I end up on the ship. If you're picky about where you want to be, a guarantee is not for you. I kind of like not knowing and then the surprise when you find out.

There is no such thing as a bad cruise, just some oare better than others!

:)

Don't worry about a 2 post Troll......

You've seen several responses that I hope have been what you are wanting to know, that yes for the most part booking what is commonly called a guarantee cabin, usually turns out pretty good.

There have been those people though that get the dreaded "upgrade" to the cabin under the gym or over the nightclub. It's a gamble you take when booking guarantee.

I'm not concerned about the troll, just not interested in their rant. So far all the responses have pretty much covered what we were wondering.

I will be forever amazed at why people book "travel experiences (**)" online, spending several hundred to $1,000 or more, not fully understanding what they purchased, when they could make an educated purchase, with an understanding of their options and prices through a qualified travel agent at the same rate or often less.

** If it has a brochure or you take photos of it, it likely fits the description of a Travel Experience. Unlike Travel Commodities which are things like airline seats and rental cars; mundane, all are similar, get the job done, than you forget about them. Travel Commodities are usually simple reservations you can make yourself; EXCEPT if you are booking 2, 3 or more components, it usually is better to have an agent quote a vacation package.

Carnival does not publish all of their rates and promotions on their consumer booking site, while travel agents have access to that information through Carnivals' Agent Site - BookCCL.Com, or through the agent's global distribution system.

Carnival does not have such a thing called "Guaranteed Room Program".

Carnival does have various rate codes that allow one to purchase a cruise where:

* You choose the category, Carnival assigns the stateroom and you get a great rate with the possibility of free category upgrade.

* You choose your category and the exact stateroom number.

Carnival does have FunSaver, EarlySaver, FlexiPricing, Resident, Senior, Military, Interline, Group, Preferred Award Rates and several more rate codes. You could spend several months looking at their website, attempting to sort the rate codes, with the rates by cabin and category and the terms associated with each, and if you qualify for the published rates. Or you could call a travel agent, and have all the information with no effort on your part. Depending on the time remaining to the sail date, an experienced agent would have some idea of the potential of receiving an upgrade.

Carnival has 35 stateroom categories on their cruise ships. An agent can tell you the details of every stateroom on every ship, the square footage of the stateroom and the balcony, if it is a connecting room / connecting balcony, the furnishings in it, the types of bed configuration, if it has a fridge, hair dryer and a lot more.

The answers to your questions are:

1. Yes I have purchased a Guaranteed Category. I also have purchased the exact stateroom I wanted. I have also sold both.

2. If Carnival guarantees something you can depend on it. Just make sure you understand and comply all of the terms. The fine print is not complicated, but sometimes some people do not read the terms, or tend to skim over it, make assumptions, or think their wishes will be magically granted.

I really dislike when condescending morans write responses like yours--unhelpful and ignorant. And a 2 poster at that--what you'd get tossed off under another name?

Not sure what your question is. I've booked"guarantee" rooms before and received the room catagory I was guaranteed to receive. You can rest assured that you will be in a suite if that's what you booked.

Not 100% true.People have been downgraded and have also been denied a cabin at all.Its is very rare,but has happened.I have seen it first hand and reported it here on CC many years ago.In the last few years it happened on a Baltimore sailing I think.They overbooked but were able to get people to make other arrangements.

Steve

I will be forever amazed at why people book "travel experiences (**)" online, spending several hundred to $1,000 or more, not fully understanding what they purchased, when they could make an educated purchase, with an understanding of their options and prices through a qualified travel agent at the same rate or often less.

** If it has a brochure or you take photos of it, it likely fits the description of a Travel Experience. Unlike Travel Commodities which are things like airline seats and rental cars; mundane, all are similar, get the job done, than you forget about them. Travel Commodities are usually simple reservations you can make yourself; EXCEPT if you are booking 2, 3 or more components, it usually is better to have an agent quote a vacation package.

Carnival does not publish all of their rates and promotions on their consumer booking site, while travel agents have access to that information through Carnivals' Agent Site - BookCCL.Com, or through the agent's global distribution system.

Carnival does not have such a thing called "Guaranteed Room Program".

Carnival does have various rate codes that allow one to purchase a cruise where:

* You choose the category, Carnival assigns the stateroom and you get a great rate with the possibility of free category upgrade.

* You choose your category and the exact stateroom number.

Carnival does have FunSaver, EarlySaver, FlexiPricing, Resident, Senior, Military, Interline, Group, Preferred Award Rates and several more rate codes. You could spend several months looking at their website, attempting to sort the rate codes, with the rates by cabin and category and the terms associated with each, and if you qualify for the published rates. Or you could call a travel agent, and have all the information with no effort on your part. Depending on the time remaining to the sail date, an experienced agent would have some idea of the potential of receiving an upgrade.

Carnival has 35 stateroom categories on their cruise ships. An agent can tell you the details of every stateroom on every ship, the square footage of the stateroom and the balcony, if it is a connecting room / connecting balcony, the furnishings in it, the types of bed configuration, if it has a fridge, hair dryer and a lot more.

The answers to your questions are:

1. Yes I have purchased a Guaranteed Category. I also have purchased the exact stateroom I wanted. I have also sold both.

2. If Carnival guarantees something you can depend on it. Just make sure you understand and comply all of the terms. The fine print is not complicated, but sometimes some people do not read the terms, or tend to skim over it, make assumptions, or think their wishes will be magically granted.

And here is a copy of Dacotah's other post....

Dacotah7 user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifGround Trans - Port of Miami > Port Everglades

We are on the Carnival Glory Jan 3-10th and the Carnival Freedom Jan 10-16th. What is the best way to get from one port to another, fast, reliable, dedicated service (2 passengers), followed by economical?

The Glory is due in at 8 am. We will request an early off if possible and carry our bags off, so we can disembark as early as possible.

We need to be in Port Everglades at 10:30 am for other business (with sister line Costa), before boarding the Carnival Freedom that afternoon.

We'll be on 3 cruise ships in one day :D, but maybe a bit frazzled :eek: with our schedule.

Shuttle? doubtful. Taxi or limo? Which one and what will it cost?

Thanks

Why are you asking that??? As a 'qualified travel agent' shouldn't you already know?

Cool Cruiser

We are on the Carnival Glory Jan 3-10th and the Carnival Freedom Jan 10-16th. What is the best way to get from one port to another, fast, reliable, dedicated service (2 passengers), followed by economical?

The Glory is due in at 8 am. We will request an early off if possible and carry our bags off, so we can disembark as early as possible.

We need to be in Port Everglades at 10:30 am for other business (with sister line Costa), before boarding the Carnival Freedom that afternoon.

We'll be on 3 cruise ships in one day :D, but maybe a bit frazzled :eek: with our schedule.

Thanks

Why are you asking that??? As a 'qualified travel agent' shouldn't you already know?

Now we know why TA's are being eliminated.:rolleyes:

That was a good catch you made here.

STeve

Not 100% true.People have been downgraded and have also been denied a cabin at all.Its is very rare,but has happened.I have seen it first hand and reported it here on CC many years ago.In the last few years it happened on a Baltimore sailing I think.They overbooked but were able to get people to make other arrangements.

Steve

We realize it was a crap shoot but it would really frost my dander if I drove 8 1/2 hours to FFL to be told there is no room in the inn!:eek: I know they can overbook and this could happen but that can happen without a guaranteed room as well. I've read where folks were told the cruise was cancelled or overtaken by a group cruise so their booking was eliminated but they were told before they got to port.

Define "good". I mean, it's no secret that they design this program/rate to give people a deal on cabins that they can't fill. Rolling the dice is rolling the dice on this one, IMO. We booked GTY OV on our first cruise, then I panicked when I saw it was under the galley. Turned out, we didn't hear a thing and have booked all our cabins in the same exact location, LOL.

We did balcony guarantee with TA in 2008 got a cabin midship deck 6 on the Miracle. I remember seeing cabin number assigned to us just after final payment was due. I always do e-docs ASAP so I saw room assignments before my TA. Problem was, we asked her for 3 cabins together as big celebration for us and wanted all of us together. I wound up calling Carnival to see what cabins we could get together and then had to have her call directly to get the them. I'm hoping a TA might be reading this as I'd like to know who gets cabin numbers when doing a group booking, Carnival or the TA doing the booking? Last year I booked through Carnival with a definite cabin assignment to get two cabins together. I'd be leary of ever doing a group booking if I needed more than one cabin. That said though, I can't see being disappointed with a guarantee as long as you know it could be front, midship, or back. As other poster said be mindful if your category has obstructed views. Quite honestly with the economy the way it is, I'd be just darn happy to be going on a vacation

We did balcony guarantee with TA in 2008 got a cabin midship deck 6 on the Miracle. I remember seeing cabin number assigned to us just after final payment was due. I always do e-docs ASAP so I saw room assignments before my TA. Problem was, we asked her for 3 cabins together as big celebration for us and wanted all of us together. I wound up calling Carnival to see what cabins we could get together and then had to have her call directly to get the them. I'm hoping a TA might be reading this as I'd like to know who gets cabin numbers when doing a group booking, Carnival or the TA doing the booking? Last year I booked through Carnival with a definite cabin assignment to get two cabins together. I'd be leary of ever doing a group booking if I needed more than one cabin. That said though, I can't see being disappointed with a guarantee as long as you know it could be front, midship, or back. As other poster said be mindful if your category has obstructed views. Quite honestly with the economy the way it is, I'd be just darn happy to be going on a vacation

You got darn lucky the TA was able to change your cabins back then.

However, you dont seem to get that guaranteed cabins, mean anywhere on the ship ... you can be 3 decks apart and front and aft. You have no expectation ... or you shouldnt that the cabins will be together. If you wanted cabins together you should have paid the more expensive pick your cabin. Now they have ES which is cheaper to pick, but guarantees ... by definition, you agree Carnival can put you anywhere on the ship.

As far as who gets the cabin numbers. If you have a profile on Carnival, once everyone in the group has paid their final payment, then if there is a cabin assignment, you can see it online. Groups are a little different, in that everyone has to have paid before you can log in and see the assignment.

If you are only talking about the 3 cabins you mentioned, then its not a group booking. Maybe you mean linking 3 cabins and calling them a group. Linking ONLY means you sit together, not that the cabins will be together on the ship if you select guarantees.

From the sounds of some of the responses, we'll be lucky if we get on the ship or we'll be sleeping with the anchor next door.:rolleyes: According to Carnival's website (however reliable that is), there are still suites available. Maybe we'll get one assigned here shortly if not we'll hope for the best and take what we can get!;) The worst day cruising is still better than the best day at work!:D

We realize it was a crap shoot but it would really frost my dander if I drove 8 1/2 hours to FFL to be told there is no room in the inn!:eek: I know they can overbook and this could happen but that can happen without a guaranteed room as well. I've read where folks were told the cruise was cancelled or overtaken by a group cruise so their booking was eliminated but they were told before they got to port.

The incident I refered to was in San Juan.The other in Baltimore I think.The Baltimore was a new rare sailing so its popularity was great.For cruises out of FL.There are so many locals and or residents of the state who could be bought/bribed/persuaded to go another week if needed.So don't worry about anything from FL.

Steve

The incident I refered to was in San Juan.The other in Baltimore I think.The Baltimore was a new rare sailing so its popularity was great.For cruises out of FL.There are so many locals and or residents of the state who could be bought/bribed/persuaded to go another week if needed.So don't worry about anything from FL.

Steve

Thanks, being from northwestern Florida (Panhandle), I'd still be po'ed if I drive from here (8 1/2 hrs) to FFL to be told they are overbooked! Even more so if I had to fly to P.R. or Baltimore.:eek:

Dacotah7,

Get a life! If you even read the first post you'd seen I never said I ordered online. As a matter of fact, I use a professional travel agent. Since it has been a while since I've been on Carnival, I wanted some information on the GUARANTEED SUITE/ ROOM that I purchased from my professional travel agent from Carnival. Call it what you wish, but everybody but you seemed to understand what I was asking. So instead of jumping all over someone for asking a question, understand the question first. If you can't offer constuctive information, don't offer anything. Nobody needs your condescending answers. :D:p

Friends

Dacotah7 has not made any friends yet

Cool Cruiser

Thanks

Q1. Why are you asking that???

Q2. As a 'qualified travel agent' shouldn't you already know?

A1. Because I needed to know. Most everything published is between the airports and hotels, or airports and seaports. I found little on ground transportation and rates from seaport to seaport.

A2. Not necessarily. No person, including travel agents knows everything about every place. I use to work in Ft Lauderdale, inside Port Everglades. Never have I traveled between Miami and Ft Lauderdale by public ground transportation. When I ask that question, I was using every resource possible to find the best answer. What better resource than someone who has been there, done that, recently. Cruise Critic seemed a good resource. The shuttle services, the taxis or more so the taxi regulatory agencies were of little use. Many web sites were outdated. Carnival could not even help me, including the purser.

Hi Spacewoman,

Ok, I'm in this thread and all bloody already :eek:, and am a travel agent so I might as well see if I can help. :)

To avoid confusion and misunderstaning I'll address it a piece at a time.

I remember seeing cabin number assigned to us just after final payment was due.

If the TA has not assigned staterooms after the full deposit has been processed Carnival will assign them after the final payment is processed.

I always do e-docs ASAP so I saw room assignments before my TA.

If the TA was in Carnivals agent booking site, looking at your booking record, the TA would see the same assignments. Well... at the speed of the internet, and maybe the TA would have to refresh their browser page, but it is live, in real time.

Problem was, we asked her for 3 cabins together as big celebration for us and wanted all of us together. I wound up calling Carnival to see what cabins we could get together and then had to have her call directly to get the them.

Here I maybe confused a bit. I am assuming "her" is your travel agent.

If you book with an agent you deal with that agent, not Carnival. Carnival will not help you and will tell you to call your TA.

Concering 3 cabins together:

Adjacent - Beside each other. - I think is what you wanted.

Adjoining - Having a door between them. - Is available in some staterooms.

I'm hoping a TA might be reading this as I'd like to know who gets cabin numbers when doing a group booking, Carnival or the TA doing the booking?

I am a TA. I am assuming you mean who assigns the stateroom numbers.

When is also a factor.

After your full deposit is processed the TA may assign the room numbers; put a name on the room number. The problem with doing that, is once a name is assigned to a stateroom, all bets are off concerning upgrades. Now you are locked into that room, and you will not be eligible for an upgrade, and the room is removed from available inventory.

On the other hand, the TA can wait for a possible upgrade and you do not know what your room # is. The problem with that is rooms are assigned all over the ship, in an unknown sequence, by Carnival, by public booking sites and by other TA's. The closer it gets to the sailing date, the ship is selling out and your chances of obtaining adjacent rooms are diminishing, than disappears altogether.

It comes down to communicating with your agent which is more important to you, a possible upgrade or knowing your assigned room, and how bad you want adjacent rooms.

If the TA has not assigned the room numbers by the time the final payment is processed, Carnival does it ASAP after full payment is made.

From what I've seen Carnival tries to be as accomodating as possible. On my last group sale, I assigned the room for two ladies traveling together ages 79 & 82, with slight mobility needs, after full deposit was made. They were in a Category 6B Oceanview. Being close to the elevators was more important than an upgrade. At the same time I did not assign two other staterooms in the same category, as they wanted the upgrade if possible. They did not get it, but Carnival did assign them adjacent rooms with the one I had assigned.

Last year I booked through Carnival with a definite cabin assignment to get two cabins together. I'd be leary of ever doing a group booking if I needed more than one cabin.

For clarification ~

As someone else mentioned two or three cabins techincally are not considered a group. A minimum of 8 staterooms is considered a group by Carnival. Carnivals' sister company Princess uses a term and has a booking code which would be appropriate for your intent, that is "Traveling With". Or Traveling With ID = TWID Code; which links the booking records and dining choices.

I've taken numerous Carnival Training classes including the BookCCL site, and the booking codes, and have never seen or heard the term used within Carnival. The best I've seen is adding a comment in special requests.

Never be leary of a group booking if you qualifiy for a group. You stand to get better rates and other perks.

That said though, I can't see being disappointed with a guarantee as long as you know it could be front, midship, or back.

True. A guarantee is only a guarantee of a category, not the location on the deck or even a particular deck.

As other poster said be mindful if your category has obstructed views.

True. Know what you are getting or stand to get.

Sometimes for a little money, you can have much better accomodations.

Quite honestly with the economy the way it is, I'd be just darn happy to be going on a vacation.

With the economy the way it is, cruising is perhaps one of the least expensive vacations options there are, considering all that is inlcuded, and you only have to unpack once. When you compare all the components to land based vacations it wins hands down most of the time, even with all-inlcusive resorts. The exception is heavy drinkers might be better off at an all includsive that includes alcohol in the price.

~ ~ ~

I hope that was of use, and helpful for you. :)

Thanks, being from northwestern Florida (Panhandle), I'd still be po'ed if I drive from here (8 1/2 hrs) to FFL to be told they are overbooked! Even more so if I had to fly to P.R. or Baltimore.:eek:

Its funny I posted about how rare it is to even happen.Well it appears it did again.Not on CCL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22808729#post22808729

Steve

Archived