I'm here and its AMAZING

trinitygirl

Hey everyone, I finally arrived in Barbados on Monday afternoon after a hellish trip from Vancouver via JFK: not made any easier by the ridiculous no-carry-on-luggage rule! I (and many others) were caught out by the new rules and had to do some serious repacking at the airport. You are allowed to bring your camera and laptop and wallet, travel wallet, reading material, glasses etc on board, but you are NOT allowed to bring them in any kind of bag or in your pockets - so lots of people (self included) had to make their way through two lots of security screenings and several hours at the airport with their hands full of individual items. Massively inconvenient. Luckily once I got on board, the lovely FA from CP gave me a nice tote bag so I didn't have to do the same thing at JFK. Which leads me to the other ridiculous thing - although my connecting flight was less than 2 hours away, and although I was checked on and my bags checked through, JFK no longer allows you to simply transfer (in all other situations like this, you end up in a separate 'clean' channel and are put in a lounge before getting on to your connecting flight) - I had to wait 45 minutes at immigration to get a visa card which they tore out of my passport exactly 17 minutes later AND i had to take my bags all the way to the next terminal and check in all over again.

anyway, i digress, apologies. I am in Barbados, in my apartment which is about 50 feet away from Accra Beach, and it is absolutely gorgeous and fantastic. I spent yesterday just lounging on a sunbed in front of a bar which starts with "K" which is just in front of the apartment building. For $10 you get a chair and an umbrella and a $10 credit to use in the bar - what a deal! So glad I didn't bother buying my own umbrella and lugging it with me as I had planned to do. The water was turquoise blue and warm like taking a bath, only much better. I can see the reef from my balcony, but it was too choppy to go out there yesterday, although i met a fair few people who told me the fish life out there is awesome, so i am looking forward to doing so.

I got a bit too much sun yesterday despite precautions so today no sunbathing for emma... no mind, i have two more lovely weeks to enjoy - and then my cruise. hurruh!

Sorry to hear about your travel problems, but it sounds like it was definitely worth it since you are now in paradise!!

My son and his gf (they are in their early 20s) want to go to Barbados for a week this March. I was there for a day on the Carnival Victory last May and loved Accra Beach. You mentioned that your apt is near there. Do you mind me asking what the name of it is? I think someone had mentioned an apt across the street named Southern Surf?? I was thinking of booking that for them, but am just not sure yet. Any advice you have would be appreciated!

Thanks and enjoy that beautiful beach!! It was one of my most favorite places I have ever visited and I cannot wait to return!!

Ok trinitygirl I was really jealous with your two weeks in Barbados

- and THEN a cruise until I saw aplmac's photos, now I'm way beyond jealous. :D

Wow, what a way to go. I love Barbados. Enjoy.

If you trawl thru the Barbados threads,

you'll come across one called Post your memorable Barbados pics here!

click on that one to see lots more pics of Barbados.

321850ca.jpg

Nuther one of Bar Kanei, down at the Eastern end

Accra-759.jpg

...of Rockley Beach

If you trawl thru the Barbados threads,

you'll come across one called Post your memorable Barbados pics here!

click on that one to see lots more pics of Barbados.

321850ca.jpg

Nuther one of Bar Kanei, down at the Eastern end

Accra-759.jpg

...of Rockley Beach

Oh Ya!!!

Pat

Hi all - yes, Aplmac that is exactly where I was on Tuesday. Virginia, I am staying at the Southern Surf and its just wonderful; it's fairly basic but the staff are incredibly nice and the location simply could not be better.

There are 12 apartments and my understanding is that they are fully booked from year to year - I wrote to them in late 2008 and there was nothing all summer (my summer) long - but then the GFC kicked in and they contacted me in March to say that this apartment was available so I grabbed it and rearranged my cruise plans. The apartment is maybe 35 sq mts, with a tiny narrow kitchen which has a (small) full size fridge, an electric oven/stove top, a microwave, electric jug and coffee maker and toaster, and is fully equipped with cutlery, crockery and cookware. there is a small table and two chairs, two easy chairs, a king bed made of two single beds pushed together, a chest of drawers, a 'desk' and stool, a wardrobe and an inroom safe. floor is tiled. the bathroom is likewise narrow, and has a shower curtain that sticks to you as you shower (ick!) and a sink, lavatory and mirror. the balconies are triangular and overlook the beach and the courtyard - mine has 3 chairs and a table and an excellent view. there is also a very efficient air conditioning unit which is great, because it is hot and humid! the price has gone up since i booked - I am paying $130 US a night including taxes. the room is serviced each morning. there is a pool and loungers out the back if you want a break from the beach.

i am getting fitter already climbing all the stairs (no elevators), and the only problem i have is the patchy internet connection. other than that, its perfect.

there is a laundromat across the road (I stayed out of the sun yesterday so took care of the suitcase of dirty clothes from my month of travelling) and an excellent supermarket a 10 minute walk away (although it feels further when walking back laden down in the heat!).

i went for a swim before breakfast this morning and figure that another day of keeping out of the sun and my shoulders will be ok again.

oh, and i am going to book a sail/snorkling trip - does anyone have any advice that would help me choose between Calabaza and Tiami?

: )

So I just got busy on tripadvisor and the company websites and have booked a snorkle cruise with Calabaza and another with Shasa for Monday and Thursday of next week... Calabaza is $100 and Shasa is $80 - it will be interesting to see what the difference is.

so now i just have to decide what else to do on the island - I have a national trust pass so I figure I might go check out the national trust properties (george washington's house is one of them, and a jacobean mansion somewhere?). and i think tomorrow i might catch the bus up to Mullins beach - a couple of canadian cruisers sold me on it as we were swimming on Tuesday. and I guess I should go check out bridgetown... it's kind of hard to get all tourist-upped though, cos all the sight of the beach out my window makes me want to do is read, slouch, and swim.....

hurruh!!

Thanks Trinity! It sounds like a great place to stay, but since they want to go to the island in March, I guess I will have to look for something else. It sounds like you are having an amazing time! Enjoy that beautiful beach - I think it is the prettiest place I have ever seen.

Again, thanks for the info!

and I guess I should go check out bridgetown... it's kind of hard to get all tourist-upped though, cos all the sight of the beach out my window makes me want to do is read, slouch, and swim
What about Oistins Fish Fry tomorrow night? We (4 couples) are arriving tomorrow for 2 weeks of cycling and sunshine and we are looking forward to the party at Oistins.

hey there! i too planned to hire a cycle but have changed my mind: the roads are crazy - it brings to mind cycling in devon in high summer: narrow little roads and long queues of busy drivers and careening buses. plus its too hot for me. i am about to do some research into the fish fry! i have just sent an enquiry about a segway tour on the north coast that sounds interesting.

and - at least email and see if there is availability: my sense is that the gfc is having ongoing effects - although the place is full right now, isn't March a little less peak season?

well, I'm from Melbourne, so Newcastle is not really local to me, but I did go to a conference at the UoN a few years back and jogged along the beachfront closest to the city: it was July (our winter) and it was nothing at all like Barbados!

none of the beaches i have been to in Australia have been anything like this; totally different oceans, so different conditions, warmth, sand etc... there are very beautiful beaches in Australia (especially in Western Australia) and New Zealand but this is the caribbean! I have never seen a turquoise blue sea before.

So I just got busy on tripadvisor and the company websites and have booked a snorkle cruise with Calabaza and another with Shasa for Monday and Thursday of next week... Calabaza is $100 and Shasa is $80 - it will be interesting to see what the difference is.

so now i just have to decide what else to do on the island - I have a national trust pass so I figure I might go check out the national trust properties (george washington's house is one of them, and a jacobean mansion somewhere?). and i think tomorrow i might catch the bus up to Mullins beach - a couple of canadian cruisers sold me on it as we were swimming on Tuesday. and I guess I should go check out bridgetown... it's kind of hard to get all tourist-upped though, cos all the sight of the beach out my window makes me want to do is read, slouch, and swim.....

hurruh!!

I took Shasa's 5 hour sail last week and it was wonderful! Jason does an excellent job of finding turtles and fish, I don't think you will be disappointed in Shasa.

Debr

where exactly is the laundromat. we are staying at the hilton before a cruise on the royal clipper. we planned on spending most of our time at accra/rockley so why not drop off our laundry while we enjoy the beach. is it right on the main road. do they do your clothes and you come back or do you have to hang around and do them yourself.

steve

Hi all - yes, Aplmac that is exactly where I was on Tuesday.

Virginia, I am staying at the Southern Surf and its just wonderful.

Hi, Tgirl...

I'm going to leave my name and tel.number at Front Desk...if you want to call while you're here on da islan'

We just returned from a Southern Caribbean cruise and had a wonderful catamaran sail and snorkel with Shasa. I'm sure they'll take great care of you, and you'll have a fabulous time! We really liked Barbados...I wish we were still there.

where exactly is the laundromat. we are staying at the hilton before a cruise on the royal clipper. we planned on spending most of our time at accra/rockley so why not drop off our laundry while we enjoy the beach. is it right on the main road. do they do your clothes and you come back or do you have to hang around and do them yourself.

steve

Hi there, I'm afraid I don't know where the Hilton is but there are 2 laundromats within 5 minutes walk of this place (one is almost directly opposite Southern Surf, the other is a little further up on the same side of the street): so it's my feeling that there are likely to be laundromats all over the place and there are probably some close to where you are staying - maybe someone reading this can advise you. I put my clothes in the machines myself and took my own soap powder and it was $13 for two machines and took half an hour - I hung everything on hangers on the towel rails outside my apartment and they dried in the wind in less than an hour!

I got your message Aplmac - I will give you a call over the weekend! thanks for that - although the manager here thinks it would be very daring of me to ring someone I "met" over the internet and thinks I should get my partner's permission first!! : )

I spent the morning checking out Bridgetown - walking from the bus station to the Cathedral and Queen's house, then over to the Supreme Court and the Synagogue, and then back down to the Parliament building. I ended up using my umbrella as a parasol again, because I could feel my chin burning under my hat - darn it, after I just spent 2 careful days inside recovering from Tuesday ...!! the sun is strong here. but there is the most beautiful breeze running through my apartment right now - its so lovely.

well, i am going to cross the street and have a swim.

: )

I got your message Aplmac - I will give you a call over the weekend! thanks for that

- although the manager here thinks it would be very daring of me to ring someone I "met" over the internet

and thinks I should get my partner's permission first!! : )

Tell you what: you have your partner ride shotgun

..and I'll bring along The Wife

just in case you want to run off with her 60-yr.old guy from Barbados :D

How likely is that?! :cool:

2871512_AplmacandtheMissus.jpg.8ba0aa2b5ccced72b8e118f56ea62153.jpg

Trinitygirl, will you let us know how you like the two companies, Calabaza and Shasa? I looked them up and they look similiar to SilverMoon, which I have done before. I am anxious to hear how you compare the two, since you will be doing both. Have a great time! i can't believe you are in Barbados for two weeks!

thanks for the laundromat info. i'm sure there are some near the hilton, but thought we might just do it while we were at the beach.

steve

oh - in that case, just walk to the Bar Kai'na end of the beach and then its 2 minutes up the street: there is a blue sign that advertises a beauty parlour and underneath it mentions the laundromat which is in a side door on the ground floor. It's staffed so you can leave your stuff for them to take care of and come back and pick it up in the afternoon.

Trinitygirl, will you let us know how you like the two companies, Calabaza and Shasa? I looked them up and they look similiar to SilverMoon, which I have done before. I am anxious to hear how you compare the two, since you will be doing both. Have a great time! i can't believe you are in Barbados for two weeks!

I want to know, too, Trinitygirl.....

We are on the cruise with you next week and we have booked Calabaza for our day in Barbados. I want to hear how fantastic they are.....:)

Archived