FINALLY independent tours to Chacchoben!

Lynda S

Thanks Beachboy for alerting me to this site -

http://www.chacchobenruins.com

For anyone who wants an independent tour with a private guide to the ruins, it looks like they offer three fabulous tours! The prices look good, the itinerary looks good and I just wish I could have found this site before we went in December!!!

The best part is that they are done by locals - and by local I mean by people that live in Chacchoben and have for generations. One of the guides, Ivan is one of the sons in the Cohuo family who gre up on the Chacchoben ruins grounds - who better than him as guide I would say!

Just had to post this for all the independent people out there - and as for us, well, we just have to go back now to Costa Maya to take this tour.....

I just got an EMAIL back from this tour operator and wanted to pass along some of the information I got. It appears they are moving their 'headquarters' into town and are negotiating with the terminal folks for access. We were basically given a choice of catching a cab into town and taking the tour for $43., or waiting to see how the negotiations would go with the terminal folks and it cost up to $60. for pier pickup We are still in our decision mode, but wanted to pass this information on.

Here is the full text of the response I got:

Thank you very much for contacting us!

We would certainly be pleased to arrange a tour to Chacchoben for you

and your family. Currently, we're working on our new location in

Majahual (the village) which is located a few minutes (less than a

five minute ride) away from the terminal and by the time of your

arrival we'll be operating from there.

Please note that our prices are changing, and for new reservations that

are confirmed starting at our location the price will be $43USD. We're

still in negotiations with the administration of the terminal. I

assume we'll be able to pick up some of our groups there but the price

would rise to $60 or more depending on the access fee they charge us.

As part of our services we include complementary refreshments such as

purified water at the begining of the tour and soft drinks and beer at

the end.

Usually, the first group to confirm decides what time they wish to

start. Any other requests for the same date are indicated that starting

time. At the moment your's is the first request we've received

for this tour on that day, so if you're interested in confirming your

reservation you would decide what time you wish to start. We can

complete this tour in three and a half to four hours maximum.

To confirm reservations we only need your approval and basic

information regarding the names of the participants, your arrival date

and time, cruise ship and the time you wish to start the tour. We're

not requiring a credit card number to guarantee reservations due to

the limitations in technology we have in Chacchoben. Instead we do

require a phone number where we can contact you one week before the

tour date in order to have everything reconfirmed. We'll require

payment (cash) for our services at the begining of the tour.

Please let us know if you would be interested in confirming your

reservations starting at our location in Majahual. The village is

small and it's very easy to find us. We would also give you directions

on how

to get from the terminal to the village.

Feel free to contact us in case you need further details or if you wish

to have your reservations confirmed with us.

Sincerely,

Ivan Cohuo

That's interesting. Here's the confirmation I received:

We're pleased to confirm your reservation as follows:

Tour: Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

Participants: Cynthia Stanford / Kenneth Stanford / Harold Hall /

Sandra

Hall

Date: April 15, 2005

Starting time: 12:00 Hrs

Price: $48USD per person

Duration: 4 Hrs (Maximum)

Cruise ship: RC Grandeour of the Seas

Arrival time: 12:00 Hrs

On the day of the tour we'll be waiting for you at the entrance of the

terminal where all the people going on tours meet their guides. For

quick identification, we'll have a sign reading " Stanford & Hall"

One week prior to the tour date we'll contact you to reconfirm

everything. Please keep us informed of any possible changes on the

ship's itinerary in order to adjust our operation.

Best regards,

Ivan Cohuo

This is what I got last night, sounds a bit complicated:

Hello,htis David from chacchoben,we really appreciated your interest in

let us show our area,we have a tour departuring from Mahahual at 11:00

am of course this depends of the arrival time.

how to get there?easy ,once you be at the Costa Maya pier,inside there

is a tourist transportation to the fisherman village ,they charge 3

dollrs per person ,usually every body is left close to a huge Pine

tree,then you just walk three blocks to the south(there is one single

street),you going to pass the harbor master,the next corner is "EL

SABOR DE MI TIERRA".

The tour takes 3hours and half,includes:transportation ,entrance

fee,professional guide,complementary sodas.

Please would you be kind to recomfirm to save your seats .

wishing to hear from you soon ,David Villagomez.

Yea, . . . I was a bit surprised from the response I got. I assumed the tour started and stopped at the pier. It sounds like there might be an issue with private tours picking people up at the Pier now (like, the peir owners want a cut of the fee or something :rolleyes: ). You might want to re-confirm your information with Ivan.

I just sent them a follow up EMAIL to sign up for Feb 17th. I will follow up with what I get from them in return to confirm the booking.

On a side note, . . . this is actually going to work out better for us. I wanted to spend a little bit of time in the town of Majahual after the tour anyway, and this way, . . . we will already be there. :) BTW - they dropped their fee by $5/pp from what is on their website, which is the same as what a taxis is suppose to cost round trip.

BTW - Celebrity is getting $62/pp for this tour.

Brent, I'd have to say that you did make the right decision, even just the size of the group that a private guide will take as compared to the ship's tour is well worth the price to me, even if it was more. (which it isn't). And you are right, we went to Majahaul after the van/taxi ride to Chacchoben, it is a wonderful village, and you shouldn't miss it! Even if it's only for an hour or so, it's worth it.

The reason for the change to Majahaul is the pier authorities and the negotiations - they charge an arm and a leg to the tour operator. Starting out from Majahaul makes for a cheaper tour all around - and a more cultural one as that way everyone will get to experience that great little fishing village. (that we intend to go and spend some more time in soon)

I'd say the pier authorities really have the pick up/drop off thing all sewn up - just look at the difference in the prices of the vans ($3.00 pp)that take you to Majahaul (the ONLY ones authorized on the pier to take you there) as opposed to the yellow cabs that bring you back ($2.00 pp). The yellow cab drivers are not allowed to take a fare back from the pier, they have to go back empty to Majahaul. Not good economics I say!

I am sure that you will find the tour incredible. I have spoken (well, written)with Ivan via email and he is very knowledgeable.

FYI, . . . here is the response I got from Ivan when I booked this tour with them. I think most of this information has been posted already, . . . but I said I would pass this along, . . . so here it is. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Thank you very much for your preference of our services!

The Best way to get from the terminal to the village is by taxi. It's

very easy to find their location at the terminal, you'll have to walk

through some of the shops towards the exit or simply ask anyone,

they'll direct you to the only taxi stand. They charge $3US per person

and the ride takes less than five minutes. The ride back is $2US per

person, but if you don't have any other plans at the village we can

drop you off at the entrance of the terminal at the end of the tour.

When you get to Majahual, find the "Market". It's the only small market

and is on the main street which is only a few blocks and in front of

the beach. You can ask any local or even the driver an they'll show you

where it is. We're in local 8, or look for the sign of "El Tucan" tours.

We're currently working on a map that will shoe our location at the

village an the way from the port to Majahual. As soon as we have it

finished I'll email it to you for further reference.

We look forward to meeting you!

Ivan

We just booked for March 15th and our confirmation email reads the same about the taxi and meeting in Majahual. The email before that confirmed the price of $43 USD if you meet them in Majahul. This sounds like a great opportunity to get a cheaper and better tour than those offered by the ships. Hope more of these tour operators can get started here as we have found them to usually be superior to ship tours with smaller groups and better guides.

I just made a reservation for the tour for Monday, Jan. 31 (short notice). I have high expectations from what I've heard on this forum. I will post a review after the tour. Here is the confirmation e-mail:

We are so sorry for the delay in confirming your tour, but internet access has been unreliable lately. Anyway, your reservation has been made. We are looking foward to guiding you guys through the ruins. The tour will depart at 11:00 am. From Costa Maya pier you will need to take the tourist transportation to the fisherman village Mahahual, this will cost you $3 per person. From there walk to the left (north) approx. 50 yards to a mini arts and crafts mall, there is a rental car sign (Tucans) as well. We will be waiting for you there. Bring comfortable shoes.

We will see you soon. Feel free to write back or call if you have any further questions.

Have a fun and safe trip,

David Villagomez.

We just got back from this tour. It was well worth the money and even much less than what the cruise line was charging. We had 6 people on our tour and two guides, both David and Ivan. It was far more personalized than the other tours.

As someone that both lives in Mahahual and works on the pier, I know a little about it. Here is the story, the pier is the only one they can leave with passengers. The taxis are no longer even allowed to pick up passages out side the gates of the pier. In the past when there was a long wait for the pier transportation or if you just wanted to save a buck. You could go out side and catch a taxi, not any more. So you are forced to take there bus in to town, some times there is a very long wait, but most of the time it is not bad.

The pier is not in any hurry to give anyone else permission, that is why the other tour operators have to do things from the town.

Webbie

Mahahual, Mexico

We just got back from this tour. It was well worth the money and even much less than what the cruise line was charging. We had 6 people on our tour and two guides, both David and Ivan. It was far more personalized than the other tours.

Matt, can you tell me a little more about the tour? We are reserved for it in April.

I basically confirmed the tour through their website and upon arrival in Costa Maya, we took a cab to Mahajual and once there, I was greeted by name by Ivan. There were two others to make a total of six. We got in a air conditioned van with David, Ivan, and a driver and traveled to Chacchoben which took about an hour. Once there, we were given a very in depth tour by David and Ivan and after, we traveled back to Mahajual. Drinks were served on the way back (coke and beer). These guys grew up in this area and know their stuff.

Cindy - My wife, daughter and I are booked on the Grandeur at the same time as you and we have booked the ruins tour as well. Maybe we can get together beforehand as it looks like we will be spending some time together.

Hey, Dave. Is this a small world or what? Considering that only 3% of cruisers use cruisecritic.com, what are the chances of something like this happening? So now we know there will be at least 7 of us on the tour (my DH and I, and my sister and her DH), plus you 3.

Meeting earlier sounds good. Have you signed up for the meet and mingle yet?

Archived