A First Time Cruiser's Review of the Carnival Pride

Duckie26

[quote name='daniella1279']Thanks for the info Vavasmom. Oh I just noticed you WERE talking about Freeport. I was thinking about staying on the boat during that stop as well. I read so many people say it's not worth getting off. We thought we could enjoy some time in the pool. hoping it will be less people on deck while in port.[/quote]

The car info was for Port Canaveral Florida.

I was also asking about the Jeeps in Freeport because I am so unsure of what to do there

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]Loved the review Duckie. Hubby ang I are taking the same cruise in March. It's our first cruise and we're really looking forward to this. I especially appreciated your honesty about the food. I am a more adventurous eater than hubby. He's a man of simple tastes. :-)[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]I'm curious about the Behind The Fun tour. May I ask what the cost of that was? I thought I'd read the price somewhere but since you've taken it and recently, you'll have current info.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]Thank you again![/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Duckie26']

Somehow I got him to our cabin where we found our amazing balcony and started to unpack.

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/JenArg/gCarnivalPride091.jpg[/IMG]
Our awesome balcony! Classified as an 8K - Cabin No. 7258. Notice the DH leaning a bit...yep, he was trashed. LOL

[/QUOTE]

Duckie, great review. We have the same cabin booked for our upcoming Miracle cruise. Looking forward to the time on the balcony. Question - was that lounge chair there when you first got there or did you have to ask for it??

[quote name='Annie11455'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]I'm curious about the Behind The Fun tour. May I ask what the cost of that was? [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

We paid $95 per person.

[quote name='steveNcindy'] Question - was that lounge chair there when you first got there or did you have to ask for it??[/quote]

Nope, it was there when we got there!! There was actually room for one more. :D

[quote name='Duckie26']
Nope, it was there when we got there!! There was actually room for one more. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that was what I was hoping. If we don't have one, will have to get one.

Did you find much sun on the balcony or does the overhang shade it most of the day?

Next week at this time we should be on the ship! Thanks a bunch for your review and the pictures - my kids were so psyched when they saw the pics of the ship in Nassau - we cruised once before on a much smaller ship.

How was the water temps at Atlantis - we are going there, hoping to do the water park, but worred that it will be too cool.

I'm really looking forward to it. As a mom...any vacation where they cook, clean up the meal, and make your bed for you....no matter what else happens...is a great vacation!!

Your review was very good and entertaining! I loved the Pride I sailed her when she first started sailing out of Port Canaveral and she is my favorite ship. You are right that you cannot tell that she's a mid-sized ship. I prefer the layout of the spirit class ships. Glad you had fun.

That was a GREAT review Duckie! I was on that same cruise. Did you ever hear what happened with the medical emergency?
I did the ATV tour in Freeport and had a BLAST! I highly rec. it!!
I also ate at David's but felt the service was very poor. I couldnt undertand why since you PAY for this meal! Our 2 waitresses were very snotty to us.

Are you going to book a different kind of cruise or are you doing the pride again?

[quote name='ValerieM']

How was the water temps at Atlantis - we are going there, hoping to do the water park, but worred that it will be too cool.
[/quote]

We only walked around Atlantis... did not do the water parks or the beach so I can't answer your question. Sorry! I can tell you that the ocean at Freeport was very chilly!

[quote name='steveNcindy']
Did you find much sun on the balcony or does the overhang shade it most of the day?[/quote]

I found it to be sunny most of the time!! You can always move the chairs around to get directly in to the sun if you want.

[quote name='Tiffany1203']That was a GREAT review Duckie! I was on that same cruise. Did you ever hear what happened with the medical emergency? [/quote]

I only heard from a lady that worked at a store close to the port that the medical emergency was a heart attack. I never heard anything else after that.

[quote name='Tiffany1203']Are you going to book a different kind of cruise or are you doing the pride again?[/quote]

We are doing the Pride one more time and taking friends with us this time. Can't wait! :D

Hi, Duckie!!!
I really enjoyed your review. And, now, I have a couple of questions.

Did you schedule the jeep tour in Freeport on-line or wait until
you were aboard ship? Were there alot of people able to take
this excursion? We think we would really like to do this. What
a great way to see the island.

I read a review today that said the water on the Pride is nasty.
Was that your experience as well?

Thanks, Jane

[COLOR=indigo][B]Thanks for your review. We loved the Pride when she was in Long Beach, CA. We now have the Splendor [we just got off her a week ago], I think I like the Splendor better but the Pride is a close second.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]There will always be varying opinions of everything. All-in-all I think that Carnival has done a good job with both ships.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]We, like you, enjoyed the Lido more than the MDR and found that the food was not perfect but always found something to eat.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]Thanks again and I hope we'll have the pleasure of meeting you onboard, one day![/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo][B]Thanks for your review. We loved the Pride when she was in Long Beach, CA. We now have the Splendor [we just got off her a week ago], I think I like the Splendor better but the Pride is a close second.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]There will always be varying opinions of everything. All-in-all I think that Carnival has done a good job with both ships.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]We, like you, enjoyed the Lido more than the MDR and found that the food was not perfect but always found something to eat.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]Thanks again and I hope we'll have the pleasure of meeting you onboard, one day![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='luvscruising2007']Hi, Duckie!!!
I really enjoyed your review. And, now, I have a couple of questions.

Did you schedule the jeep tour in Freeport on-line or wait until
you were aboard ship? Were there alot of people able to take
this excursion? We think we would really like to do this. What
a great way to see the island.

I read a review today that said the water on the Pride is nasty.
Was that your experience as well?

Thanks, Jane[/quote]

Hi Jane! Thanks!

We booked our excursion ASAP online. Only because I am a bit OCD about plans and details and I like to have everything done! LOL But... I wouldn't wait to book this. I think we only had two spots available for the Jeep Tour and I'm thinking those two people just didn't show up for some reason. I think there is room for 44 or 48 people depending how many jeeps they have running.

Regarding the water.... See Roz's quote below.

[quote name='wizard-of-roz']
[COLOR=indigo][B]There will always be varying opinions of everything. [/B][/COLOR][/quote]

Exactly what she said.

I found the water to have an off taste but I would not call it nasty. You might think otherwise...and other people have said it as well.

Let me just say this...I'd drink the water from the Pride before I'd drink tap water from Washington D.C.! LOL

Very much enjoyed your review. We are cruising the Pride in May. Do you recall what time the Lido buffet opens for breakfast? We have a 7:30 shore excursion planned on Grand Turk. Perhaps ordering room service might be better?

Our shore excursion in Freeport is the Garden of Groves. So glad to hear you found it nice.

Thanks.

[quote name='Priscilla Cat']Very much enjoyed your review. We are cruising the Pride in May. Do you recall what time the Lido buffet opens for breakfast? We have a 7:30 shore excursion planned on Grand Turk. Perhaps ordering room service might be better?

Our shore excursion in Freeport is the Garden of Groves. So glad to hear you found it nice.

Thanks.[/quote]

I was worried about our early 7:15 AM excursion for Freeport since breakfast on the Lido normally started at 8:00 AM but they started serving early that day, right at 7:00 AM so there was time to get something to eat before we left the ship.

They also start serving danish and coffee a half hour before the actual breakfast is served for "early risers"... so that day it was 6:30.

If you get up there right when they open, you should have time to grab a bite to eat before you head out.

:)

[quote name='luvscruising2007']Thanks, Duckie.
Do you have to have made final payment to schedule excursions?
J[/quote]

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Final payment is due within 75 days of your trip and excursions start opening up for booking around the 90 day mark. For me, some of them were available to book around day 100.

My cruise was already paid in full so I can't tell you for sure. The Carnival site says:

[quote]You can only book shore excursions online if you've made a [B]full deposit[/B] and you are [B]not within three days of[/B] your departure date. Once your vacation reservations fall within these guidelines, you're free to add some excitement to your “Fun Ship” cruise with excursions your friends and family will love.[/quote]

We are going on this cruise on 2/7/2010 and booked the steakhouse to celebrate my husbands 50th, is it worth it? He's a steak guy too and I like the lobster but sounds like I should go with the steak. Anything we should make a point of seeing or doing? Loved your review... thanks

[quote name='pbstef']How much was the excursion and how much cheaper would it be if you did it yourself? thanks jan 31 ye ha. I am a chef and would really like to know is the supper club worth the 60 dollars or is it better to spend on something else?? thanks exellent review.[/quote]

i was on the pride in december and me and my cousin are really into food and we thought the supper club was OUTSTANDING and rivaled any nyc hotspot eatery. for only a tiny fraction of the cost.

Archived