A First Time Cruiser's Review of the Carnival Pride

Duckie26

I'm sorry... I can't answer this question for you but perhaps somebody else can. We didn't make it to the Sail Away Party... You see, it was our first experience with "Drink of the Days" and they got the best of us. :D

• 4 months later...
Hi Duckie- Can you tell me a bit about Garden of the Groves? I am trying to research about doing this but no the Jeep excursion only because I am worried it would be too bumpy for my mom who has a bad back. I found a private excursion but I was not so sure if the Gardens are enough for the day. I would appreciate any feedback!

Hi Rene,

I don't know how long you will be in port at Freeport, but you could probably spend a couple hours walking around the Garden if you are REALLY into plants and flowers. Besides that, there isn't much else to do there. There is a VERY small and somewhat expensive "straw market" as well.

I'm pretty sure Carnival offers an excursion to the Garden of the Groves and then a stop out Our Lucaya for shopping, but perhaps that isn't available on your sailing.

I thought the Garden of the Groves was very nice and beautiful but it's not some place I would spend all day at.

Here is a link to the Garden of the Groves if you haven't looked one up yet:
[url]http://www.thegardenofthegroves.com/[/url]

I hope this information helps you. Enjoy your cruise!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We're taking this trip January 16th and looking forward to being able to drive to Baltimore from Northern Virginia. We have reservations at David's one night, and have booked only one shore excursion, a glass-bottom boat in Freeport. We love to cruise, but don't even care if we go into the ports. We've cruised before, but never on Carnival; everything we've read looks fantastic. :)

1999 - R-1 (Renaissance - no longer in business :confused: - this ship was sold to Oceania.) Istanbul to Athens

2003 - Norwegian Dream - London RT to St. Petersburg and all the Baltic capitals

2004 - Holland America Volendam - Alaska Inside Passage

2005 - Norwegian Wind - Hawaii

2007 - Vantage Explorer Riverboat - Vienna to the Black Sea

2008 - Vantage - Seattle, Portland, and riverboat cruise on Willamette, Columbia, and Snake Rivers

2009 - Vantage Odyssey Riverboat - Budapest to Amsterdam

2010 - Hurtigruten - via Vantage - Commercial ferry RT from Bergen, Norway crossing the Arctic Circle to the Russian Border and return

2011 - Carnival Pride to the Bahamas

2011 - Viking - Kiev, Ukraine, Dneiper River to the Black Sea, then three days in Istanbul. I'll review the last two after we've sailed.

We sailed on the Pride last Feb. the day after the big storm, super bowl sun. We had one of the best cruises of the 9 we have been on. I would for the first time cruiser recommend starting out from Baltimore in a little warmer month so one can enjoy the true cruise experience. For a seasoned veteran a wither month start is fine because lets face it, you’re on a cruise. We sail this Feb. on the Victory out of San Juan and are really looking forward to getting away from the east coast winter for a week.

Glad you had a great time. The only difference in our Pride experience was the food. I thought everything was very good but the things from the deli was tops for me.

• 2 weeks later...

We're looking forward to our one week cruise from Baltimore on Jan. 16, 2011. Thanks for all your comments.

We've cruised a few times:

Renaissance R1 - Greek Isles (Now an Oceania ship)

Norwegian Dream - Baltic capitals and St. Petersburg (now owned by an Asian company)

Holland America Volendam - Alaska

Norwegian Wind - Hawaii (No longer in service)

Vantage River Explorer - Vienna to the Black Sea

Vantage River cruise -Willamette, Columbia and Snake Rivers

Vantage River Odyssey - Budapest to Amsterdam

Hurtigruten - Bergen up the west coast of Norway and east to the Russian border and return

We also have booked a Viking river cruise for July, 2011 from Kiev to the Black Sea, with an extension to Istanbul

Well, hellooo, Duckie!

Just found out that Anderson Coach and Tour is offering another October Carnival cruise, once again on the Pride, and I'm planning on being on it. Already have plans...shore excursion in Magic Kingdom, Nassau on me own (with a visit to the Brit. Colonial Hilton...gonna get me a day pass for there...the site of the 1695 Fort Nassau, which was restored by Hornigold and Blackbeard circa 1716 or so)

• 3 weeks later...

To end this, I’d like to comment on some concerns that I had read about on the boards before we left:

Cabin temperatures: I read people complaining that their cabin was too cold. We did not have this issue and in fact, it was too warm at times, according to the DH. I’m “warm blooded” and can never be too warm so I had no complaints.

We had a balcony cabin and it was located on deck 7 aft.

Coffee: I’m an avid coffee drinker and while I wouldn’t say the coffee was great, I didn’t have any problems drinking it and I drank plenty of it. Sometimes it could have been a bit warmer but besides that it was fine. I could definitely make do it with and did just that.

Water: When I did drink the ship water, I did notice an odd taste to it but it wasn’t so bad that it would stop me from drinking it. This is coming from somebody who drinks artesian well water at home and bottled water at work. It’s not that bad at all.

Food stations on the Lido: I read about people finding the layout of this area confusing. I didn’t find them confusing or difficult to maneuver at. There are three sections of the Mermaid Grill and each food station could be found on the end of each section, with the deli, pizza and salad bar always in the same place, and the “grill” was either on the left or right hand side, depending on the day.

It only took a couple strolls around the entire area to figure them out. The lines could be long depending on the time of day, but we never had an issue and we ate 95% of our meals here.

Food Quality: I’m going to be honest and say that the food was not the highlight of our trip. I would rate it to being between OK and tasty. However, I will say that we NEVER went hungry and we could always find something to our liking. I really enjoyed the cheeseburgers from the grill!!

I will not agree with those reviews that complain and say that the food was horrible or not edible. We always looked forward to each and every meal and was satisfied 99% of the time.

----------------------------------------------------

If I were to rate our overall experience and take everything into account (food, ship, service, cabins, ports) I would give it a 9.8 out of 10!

I can’t wait to do it again!!!!!!!!!

If you have any questions about cruising on the Pride, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Thanks for the insightful posts!

I agree with you on the food, etc so much that I could have written this post! I have sailed Royal Caribbean several times and so the Carnival food/room service was a bit of a let down from that, but as stated before...you just have to find what works and go with it.

We're sailing on Pride 2/27/11 out of Baltimore as well, for my 2nd Bahamas cruise (first was on Glory from Charleston) in 2 years:)

To end this, I’d like to comment on some concerns that I had read about on the boards before we left:

Cabin temperatures: I read people complaining that their cabin was too cold. We did not have this issue and in fact, it was too warm at times, according to the DH. I’m “warm blooded” and can never be too warm so I had no complaints.

Coffee: I’m an avid coffee drinker and while I wouldn’t say the coffee was great, I didn’t have any problems drinking it and I drank plenty of it. Sometimes it could have been a bit warmer but besides that it was fine. I could definitely make do it with and did just that.

Water: When I did drink the ship water, I did notice an odd taste to it but it wasn’t so bad that it would stop me from drinking it. This is coming from somebody who drinks artesian well water at home and bottled water at work. It’s not that bad at all.

Food stations on the Lido: I read about people finding the layout of this area confusing. I didn’t find them confusing or difficult to maneuver at. There are three sections of the Mermaid Grill and each food station could be found on the end of each section, with the deli, pizza and salad bar always in the same place, and the “grill” was either on the left or right hand side, depending on the day.

It only took a couple strolls around the entire area to figure them out. The lines could be long depending on the time of day, but we never had an issue and we ate 95% of our meals here.

Food Quality: I’m going to be honest and say that the food was not the highlight of our trip. I would rate it to being between OK and tasty. However, I will say that we NEVER went hungry and we could always find something to our liking. I really enjoyed the cheeseburgers from the grill!!

I will not agree with those reviews that complain and say that the food was horrible or not edible. We always looked forward to each and every meal and was satisfied 99% of the time.

If I were to rate our overall experience and take everything into account (food, ship, service, cabins, ports) I would give it a 9.8 out of 10!

If you have any questions about cruising on the Pride, please don’t hesitate to ask!

I agree with you on the food, etc so much that I could have written this post! I have sailed Royal Caribbean several times and so the Carnival food/room service was a bit of a let down from that, but as stated before...you just have to find what works and go with it.

We're sailing on Pride 2/27/11 out of Baltimore as well, for my 2nd Bahamas cruise (first was on Glory from Charleston) in 2 years:)

You certainly have the right attitude for cruising. I hope it's not too long before you get to enjoy another cruise.

My own two doubloons, for what it's worth:

Cabin Temp: I never had any problem with it, the temp felt just fine to me...

Coffee: Don't drink it, so what do I know?

Food Stations on the Lido: Aye, I had a bit of trouble with the layout, but ye just go around a couple of times to find what you want. I never found it worth complaining about.

Food Quality: For whatever reason, I ate most of the time up on the Lido, in the Mermaid Grille, and I have to say, even with it being a buffet, I've never eaten so well in me life. I personally found the food quality to be excellent. But then, I'm a part time librarian what lives in N.E. Ohio...I don't have everyday access to fancy eateries the way the Bigge-City folk do. Also, I grew up in the Army, and have eaten my share of C Rats and mess hall food

And after all, I'm planning on doing it all again, so that sez something all by itself...

Nice to read another Pride review.

We did our 2nd Pride Jan 9th-16th.....and are likely to do it again. The ship is fantastic, roomy, friendly, and comfy.

There's also alot to be said about being able to drive to/from Baltimore in 2 1/4 hours on a Sunday vs the damned hassle (and expense) of flying !

But we, as others, don't really cruise for the ports....we simply like cruising on the open ocean ! That certainly plays a role in our enjoying the Pride.....after all, having been to Naussau and Freeport so many times, there's not much left anymore to write home about !!!!

• 1 year later...

cruising on the Pride in 23 days...yeeeehaaa! This is a girls trip and we are interested in the same tours you did. Thanks so much for the detailed review and exquisite photos. Can't wait to do the Jeep tour in Freeport and the Behind the Scenes tour on the ship. I have never done a Carnival excursion (always go on our own), but I don't swim fast :eek:LOL so I will go through Carnival for this one. Excellent review!!!

So excited for a week of no cooking, cleaning, doing dishes, working, taxiing DD, etc. I need some fun & sun!

• 1 month later...

Duckie26, great review!

I was browsing around the message boards here today, looking for stuff I haven't read yet, and I found your review. Then I realized that I'd already read it, last summer when we first booked our cruise! Then I realized that we're going to be shipmates on the Pride, a week from tomorrow! Looking forward to seeing you and your DH at the meet & greet Sunday afternoon.

I really did enjoy your review -- honest but not overly critical of anything. This will be my first time on a cruise ship, and it was nice to get a nice, down-to-earth perspective on what the trip will be like. It was also good to hear that the food onboard is at least passable, but I'm not all that worried about the food. My thinking is, if you want really outstanding food on your vacation, go to France, Italy, or someplace where they have five-star restaurants. How good can anyone really expect the food to be on a huge boat where the dining room is feeding 2000-3000 people, three times a day?

That Jeep tour in Freeport sounds like a great idea -- I just may book that one tonight.

Thanks again for the great review -- Diana, Ben, my mom and I will see you on board next Sunday!

Archived