What if we are late to our fixed time dining?

I am the OP. Someone asked if I was sure about the 6:30pm ressie time. Yes, I am. At least that's how it appears on my booking confirmation.

So, I am convinced that I should change to MTD. MY TA talked me out of it saying that with a fixed time, the wait staff gets to know your personal dining habits, which makes for a more pleasant experience. This really rang true based on our other cruise. I remember the wait staff bringing my 2 boys warm, fresh cookies after every meal to bring back to our cabin. And had custom smoothies made for them every night. I loved that.

But, if I can try to get the same wait person each time, that would help alleviate losing that perk. I guess the 2 downsides are that we may not get the same wait person each time, and waiting around in case the dining room is full. The idea of waiting does not thrill me.

We had MTD on our last three cruises. During each cruise we sat at the same table and were served by the same wait staff every day. To us, main seating is too early and late seating is too late so we reserve a table for two for the entire cruise with a dining time of 6:30 – 7:00. Our wait staffs have been great to exceptional on each cruise. We also sat at a table for two each night. That is good and bad. Bad in that we may miss out on meeting some great people but good in that we enjoy a nice dinner alone each night and we don’t end up with the tablemates from hell. We will continue with MTD because we love it! I think people are confused about MTD. From what I understand and have experienced you have three options.

1. Show up whenever you want and get seated when space is available.

2. Make a reservation for a single evening.

3. Make a reservation for the entire cruise.

We prefer #3. AS we board the ship we go to the dining room and make reservations for the week. We have always received our requested table for two at the time we want.

My Time Dining is still "fixed" to a point

You still need to let the MD know what time you want to dine the next evening.

It should really be called Flexi Time dining.

That is totally incorrect! You may make a reservation if you want or you can just show up when you want to eat.

I am the OP. Someone asked if I was sure about the 6:30pm ressie time. Yes, I am. At least that's how it appears on my booking confirmation.

So, I am convinced that I should change to MTD. MY TA talked me out of it saying that with a fixed time, the wait staff gets to know your personal dining habits, which makes for a more pleasant experience. This really rang true based on our other cruise. I remember the wait staff bringing my 2 boys warm, fresh cookies after every meal to bring back to our cabin. And had custom smoothies made for them every night. I loved that.

But, if I can try to get the same wait person each time, that would help alleviate losing that perk. I guess the 2 downsides are that we may not get the same wait person each time, and waiting around in case the dining room is full. The idea of waiting does not thrill me.

That will work out best for you in the end. Your tablemates at the fixed time would not be thrilled with the idea of waiting for you either. And remember that 6:30 is the first seating. They have to get everyone out at a certain time so that they can re-set the dining room for the second seating. Anything more than 10 minutes is too late IMO. There are other venues on the ship for you to eat at instead of the main dining room.

The only time we've ever been allowed to be late on a regular basiswas on a cruise shortly after 9/11. We had early seating at 6:30 and late seating was at 9:00 (sailing from Barcelona and accomodating the largely Spanish clientele). The ship was only 2/3 full, and when we told our waiter that we weren't coming to dinner the next night because we would be in port until 7:00, he told us to come at 7:30. The headwaiter confirmed that this would be acceptable on any night of the cruise.

But that only happened because of how empty early seating was - there were half a dozen empty tables in our area, so the waiters didn't have the usual assembly line approach to deal with. Before anybody bashes me for being late, remember that we didn't ask - they suggested it. I wouldn't even consider it in today's overcrowded and rushed dining rooms.

I think the MTD suggestion is a good one. We're doing that on an upcoming cruise because we'll be spending long days in ports and most likely won't want more than a single course for dinner at the end of the day.

If you ask to have the same wait staff for every evening, they will do everything that they can to accommodate you and it is very likely that you will get your wish. Most of those who have used MTD and have simply showed up each evening as their mood or schedule dictated have indicated that they experienced very few waits to be seated and that when they did occur, the wait was usually no more than a few minutes. If you are especially happy with the wait staff that serves you on the first evening, you might consider making reservations each day to increase the likelihood that you will get them. By doing this there may be occasions when you would be asked to change your arrival time but by doing so you could avoid the wait that might be involved should you just turn up at the dining room. :)

On our recent NOS cruise the Compass had the dining schedule written as: Main Seating 6:00 (seating from 6:00-6:30) Late Seating 8:30 (seating from 8:30-9:00). Since this was a short 4-nighter we decided to give MTD a try. We never made a reservation, showed up at 6:30, 6:45, 7:00 and 7:30, had the same table for 2 each night and the same wait staff. The night we were the latest, Hassine said he was worried that we wouldn't get 'our' table since someone else was seated there early. That couple decided against dessert and left just before we got there! We will definately be doing MTD again.:D We figure if we have to wait, there are plenty of places nearby to snag a pre-dinner drink!;)

I'm curious about MTD - My BF and I are traveling together in May, and on our last cruise we really enjoyed our table of 6 (or was it 8?), getting to know our tablemates and sharing the days experiences together. I'd like to try MTD just because I'd prefer to eat around 7:00 or 7:30, but I'm afraid we'll miss out on meeting fellow cruisers and bonding with people, like we would if we had a set MDR time. Any idea if they seat you in the same spot each time with same wait staff or how does it work?

We don't feel like we're missing out on anything. In fact, with the variety of different people we meet, we actually tend to make more friends than ever before. My wife surpised me when she told me she prefered the variety of new people vs seeing the same people every night. Granted we didn't become fast friends with everyone we dined with but, we have met several more couples over the last two cruises than previouse cruises where we sat at just one table.

There's also the possibility with fixed time dining that you could be seated with a group who speak a different language than you, someone who is obnoxious or someone who has to dominate any and every converstation. We've had this happen in the past and, we've had it happen with MTD as well. With MTD you won't be stuck with an uncompatable group for an entire cruise.

MTD is worth a try for anyone IMHO. You don't always get great table mates but you do get a variety and that variety has proven to be more interesting over the last two cruises rather than a fixed dining and fixed table mates.

You make excellent points, thanks for the response. I think we will be giving it a try this time, and as another poster suggested, if there are people we find we get along with, mtd is a great way to invite them to join us and request the group be seated together.

We don't feel like we're missing out on anything. In fact, with the variety of different people we meet, we actually tend to make more friends than ever before. My wife surpised me when she told me she prefered the variety of new people vs seeing the same people every night. Granted we didn't become fast friends with everyone we dined with but, we have met several more couples over the last two cruises than previouse cruises where we sat at just one table.

There's also the possibility with fixed time dining that you could be seated with a group who speak a different language than you, someone who is obnoxious or someone who has to dominate any and every converstation. We've had this happen in the past and, we've had it happen with MTD as well. With MTD you won't be stuck with an uncompatable group for an entire cruise.

MTD is worth a try for anyone IMHO. You don't always get great table mates but you do get a variety and that variety has proven to be more interesting over the last two cruises rather than a fixed dining and fixed table mates.

How about changing to late dining? We did the Brilliance Med cruise 2 years ago and late was definitely the way to go. After a long day it was nice to get back to the ship and relax for a couple of hours - the kids would head for the pool and we'd go to our cabin and enjoy the peace and quiet on our balcony. Cruising the Med is hard work :p it was great not to have to rush getting ready!

I did waitlist myself. Now, why would there be a waitlist for MTD?

I made my 4 ressies last November for the 7/02 Brilliance cruise, so 9 months in advance. I realize that some people can make their reservations over a year in advance and get first choice in cabins, etc. But I am amazed that with this down economy, and the 'ginormous' costs of a cruise, I still can't get the cabins and now even the dining, I want! It's crazy!

Amazing how folks repeat the same comments over and over again. My guess is that not everyone bothers to read the entire thread!

Not everyone has time to read the entire thread especially the really long ones. Was not aware that that is a requirement here?:confused:

Just because the port day ends after your seating time doesn't mean you have to go to dinner late. Lots of people eat while the ship is still in port. If you don't WANT to be back in time, then eat in the Windjammer if you can't get mtd. We've eaten while in port even though we always get late seating. It happens.

I'm curious about MTD - My BF and I are traveling together in May, and on our last cruise we really enjoyed our table of 6 (or was it 8?), getting to know our tablemates and sharing the days experiences together. I'd like to try MTD just because I'd prefer to eat around 7:00 or 7:30, but I'm afraid we'll miss out on meeting fellow cruisers and bonding with people, like we would if we had a set MDR time. Any idea if they seat you in the same spot each time with same wait staff or how does it work?

I can't tell you exactly how MTD works, but I can make a suggestion about how to meet and bond with other passengers outside of the dining room setting at dinner: Do what we do and make it a point to meet and talk to fellow passengers elsewhere onboard. I'm sure you are both sociable, fun people, so just be yourselves. Strike up a conversation about the cruise, the weather, the ports, the music playing in the bar, the ice show last night, the wonderful meal you had yesterday, the activities you enjoy. Talk to the people attending the same things you attend because you've already got two automatic common interests in cruising and whatever the activity is. When you meet people you'd like to get to know better, ask them to join you for a dinner and arrange a time to meet for the MTD that evening. Then just tell the host/hostess (or whoever does the seating when you get there) that you'd all like a table together. Voila! Enjoyable table mates chosen by you for you and not by the cruise line. If things go well, you can all arrange to dine together the next night; if not, then you don't have to dine with them again.

Have a great time.

beachchick

My Time Dining is still "fixed" to a point

You still need to let the MD know what time you want to dine the next evening.

It should really be called Flexi Time dining.

Wrong! My time dinning does not need to be set dinning. We were on the FOS and went at different times every night. We are diamond and went to the diamond lounge every night and ate at a different time every night. We never had to wait and we asked for the same waiter

Archived