Snowing on Oasis ---

debtmkr

They have a real problem on the back of the ship.....

Day 1 - Went to the aqua show and when leaving noticed everyone pants had stains all of the back of them

Day 6 -- Was up by the flow rider --- They stopped eveyone from riding --- It looked like it was snowing..... some of the ashes that were falling were so large..... and was so bad i could not see my people standing close to you..... and everything was covered....

On the January 2nd sailing it wasn't too bad. On the sports deck you could tell that everything seemed to have a black speckle finish form ash stains. On the last night during the Fountain Show their was tons of ash falling and we had to move to the side where the rock wall would shield us from it. That was the only time it was really a problem, during both of our aquatheater shows (first one got canceled last minute) their was nothing falling. During the Captain's Corner on the January 2nd sailing Captain Wright commented on the problem about 5 minutes into part 8 of my Captain's Corner video:

All 9 Parts:

Part 8:

Day 1 - Went to the aqua show and when leaving noticed everyone pants had stains all of the back of them

Day 6 -- Was up by the flow rider --- They stopped eveyone from riding --- It looked like it was snowing..... some of the ashes that were falling were so large..... and was so bad i could not see my people standing close to you..... and everything was covered....

WHY?! Whats with the ash? Hope im not sounding like a dummy i just really have no idea... LOL:rolleyes::o:D

Should I take some paper towels or tissue's to wipe the seats? Was this just on the seat bottom or also the back? We are hoping to view the SuperBowl in the Aqua Theater and it will be formal night.

We didn't have "snow" in our Oasis cruise in early December, but we did notice that at times there was a very strong fuel or diesel odor near the Aqua Theater. At least twice we were in that area and the odor was so strong it made me cough and we left.

We just figured Oasis engineers were having some trouble getting the right mix in their boilers or whatever it is. There was no odor at all most of the time, I must add.

Okay, I've been staying silent about the ash, but now I just have to ask. I was told by a crew member that they 'burn' the human waste material. I was told this when I was gagging at a really bad smell when I was in the Aqua Theater.

After I heard that, anytime I saw that ash I put my scarf over my mouth and nose, just to be safe. I certainly do not want to start a rumor that isn't true, but would love to know if indeed, they burn the human waste. Does anyone know? I would like to believe the crew member I was chatting with was just making up a story. :eek:

Okay, I've been staying silent about the ash, but now I just have to ask. I was told by a crew member that they 'burn' the human waste material. I was told this when I was gagging at a really bad smell when I was in the Aqua Theater.

After I heard that, anytime I saw that ash I put my scarf over my mouth and nose, just to be safe. I certainly do not want to start a rumor that isn't true, but would love to know if indeed, they burn the human waste. Does anyone know? I would like to believe the crew member I was chatting with was just making up a story. :eek:

This is true. There is a video on oasisoftheseas.com that talks about how waste is delt with onboard. All waste water (from toilets, showers, laundry, galley) is stored and purified back to drinking standards and reused onboard (not for drinking) and human waste is incenerated (burned) and discarded. International laws prevent ships from dumping raw sewage into the ocean, even though some still do. Oasis has state of the art waste treatment and water purification facilities onboard. Fascinating stuff!

I knew about the green technologies Oasis uses but the first article was very informative. Thanks for posting. Now my question is, is the ash (black flakes) human waste? After reading the wastewater article, I would assume so, but my assumptions are oftentimes WRONG! :o

I knew about the green technologies Oasis uses but the first article was very informative. Thanks for posting. Now my question is, is the ash (black flakes) human waste? After reading the wastewater article, I would assume so, but my assumptions are oftentimes WRONG! :o

For specifics go to: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/environment/envinitiatives.do

And download the overview of Royal Caribbean's Advanced Wastewater Purification System. It details the systems onboard all their ships, how the systems work and give diagrams of the systems. Basically, wastewater (it all forms, galley, shower, toilet, laundry) is filtered and a bioreactor breaks down the solids and the water is filtered until it is completely pure and the left over solids are either burned or taken to a land based facility.

Can't be FOR SURE if the soot onboard Oasis is actually human waste or just maybe boxes and or trash they can't recycle.

Ash wasn't a problem on our Jan. 16th cruise that I could see. However we did have a few black flakes occasionally on our Boardwalk Balcony.

It was a MAJOR problem if you had an Aqua Theater Suite. Our balcony was a mess the entire week and we saw them hosing down the Aqua Theater at least three times a day.

It was a MAJOR problem if you had an Aqua Theater Suite. Our balcony was a mess the entire week and we saw them hosing down the Aqua Theater at least three times a day.

The Aqua Theater also has a rust problem. They have to clean it every day or it turns orange with rust so that could also be what you saw.

The Aqua Theater also has a rust problem. They have to clean it every day or it turns orange with rust so that could also be what you saw.

No, they were hosing down the chairs and when they dried, they were applying some type of coating the chairs with a paint brush. Since we were in one of the ATS, we saw a lot going on back there. They could have washed our deck down three times a day and it still would not have been enough.

I read somewhere (on here...), that there were a group of RCCL engineers aboard the Oasis last week to see the problem first hand and to work on a solution. Someone talked about a filtereing system for the stacks, etc. but not being an engineer I'm certainly not sure what they will do. But I do understand that this issue has and is being thoroughly discussed at RCCL headquarters and a solution is coming... when? Who knows. I just hope it is before our cruise in April.

---------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

On the January 2nd sailing it wasn't too bad. On the sports deck you could tell that everything seemed to have a black speckle finish form ash stains. On the last night during the Fountain Show their was tons of ash falling and we had to move to the side where the rock wall would shield us from it. That was the only time it was really a problem, during both of our aquatheater shows (first one got canceled last minute) their was nothing falling. During the Captain's Corner on the January 2nd sailing Captain Wright commented on the problem about 5 minutes into part 8 of my Captain's Corner video:

All 9 Parts:

Part 8:

Captain Wright explained the problem in the Video Part 8. Hopefully the engineers will solve the problem soon.:)

That's disgusting - so it's not ash after all. I was wondering how a diesel engine can spew ash. If this is not corrected by the time my final payment is due (July), I'm cancelling.

Did any of you watch the posted video? Captain Wright explained that this is caused by the retractable funnel. The top of the funnel is too cool, allowing cabon to build up toward the top and then flake off. The Saturday following the forum engineers were to board Oasis to work on the problem.

Thank you DEIx15x8 for posting the link. It was interesting to watch.

They could easly do any "burning" overnight when everything is closed down. then spend some time cleaning. That would solve the problem.

Not really. It is the exhaust from the ship. Your suggestion would mean the engines could not run in the daytime.

No. Let's nip this one in the bud. Waste incineration systems completely incinerate the substances, and the "ash" that is left is collected, bagged, and offloaded in port. Ash from incinerated waste is never released, and certainly wouldn't be passed through the funnel. The funnel is the exhaust for the diesel engines, and the ash comes from the cooling as explained in the video.

The thought that they would incinerate waste and let the ashes just blow out the funnel is unrealistic.

Archived