Wireless internet availability?

dolliesny

Does anyone know if this is available on the Infinity? I did call Celebrity but am not sure I was given the correct information as it sounded like the regular internet connections on the ship. Does anyone know if there are at least"hot spots" and how you are billed for this? DH has installed all of the "stuff" on the laptop to make this possible and we are hoping to be able to use it on our Infinity trip. Thanks in advance.

Valerie

There is another post on this around here too. No WiFi on the M class ships...well none that the public log into. Now I have heard that there are some hot spots on the c class ships. Does anyone know for sure?

You're spot on on both counts. Any 802.11 on an M-Class ship is available for "internal use only". Nothing public.

The C-Class have several hot spots set up now. These are even showing up on Celebrity's deck plans if you know which TA's site has them. Can't say here, I think.

I can't seem to find that info anywhere on the net. Can you give me a clue without breaking any rules.

Check that.

I just found this on the Celebrity at Sea site.

Does anyone know the cost and how fast it is?

Guests will be able to access the internet 24-7 at the I-Cafe, or at scheduled times in the computer lab for a fee of $0.75 per minute. Guests aboard the Millennium-class ships will also be able to connect their personal laptops to the internet from their stateroom. **Wireless access is available in the Rendezvous Square on Century-class ships.**

Check that.

I just found this on the Celebrity at Sea site.

Does anyone know the cost and how fast it is?

Glad you spotted this at an "acceptable" site. One of the TA's had info on it, too, but posting those URL's isn't appreciated here. I think even the Celebrity site is now showing the additional hardwired "cafe" areas.

As to cost and speed, no idea. They may well stick with their 75 cents/minute rate either way you go (cafe or Wi-Fi). I haven't sailed on one of the C-Class boats since they instituted Wi-Fi, and won't be seeing one until December. The one really big advantage of Wi-Fi would be the ability to use the software on your own notebook, and to easily attach files to emails using your own regular email account without assistance from the @sea folks.

For example, there's no way to load VPN software on their cafe machines (no disk access at all) if you need that to communicate with your work servers, and as there's no drive to move CD pics to email on the cafe machines, that requires discussion/intervention with the @sea people in their training room.

And after looking around some more I found this on the info page of the Celebrity at Sea site.

All Century class ships have WiFi hotspots in Michael's Club and Rendez-vous Square. Wireless cards are available for rent if you do not already have one. Please stop by the Computer Center on Deck 6 to learn how to get your personal laptop connected. The same internet rates apply.

So it looks like Michael's also is a hot spot and the .75 per minute is the rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the 11 night Mercury Mexican Riviera and I did try the WiFi service from the Rendezvous Lounge, and can confirm that the $.75 / min rate applies. You do have to register for an account with the computer desk first.

As noted above, the advantage to doing this with your own laptop is that you can compose and edit your files and email notes offline in your cabin, and then log on and use your own email programs to send them off.

Beware of the "helpful" staff that want you to log on to the internet and then want to show you all the things you can do - on their $.75 a minute!

Also, I did run into a satellite glitch one time that froze my gmail attachment file upload in the middle of the transfer, had to log in again, but lost 5 minutes, which I was still billed for.

On this cruise, I found internet cafes at every port along the mexican coast for an average cost of about $1 for 30 minutes, so you may want to wait for shore time.

Archived