Hiking around Isle of Pines.

dmaher42

Hi,

I will be heading out on my cruise in a couple of months and one of our stops is on the Isle of Pines. I really like the idea of packing a day bag and hiking around the island for the day.

I would love to hear others experience from doing this. Can anyone give me some information on what to expect and good places to head for? Good views, spots to see any wildlife, and nice swimming spots would be good.

Perhaps even hiring bikes for the day might be a better option?

Thanks.

Hi,

I will be heading out on my cruise in a couple of months and one of our stops is on the Isle of Pines. I really like the idea of packing a day bag and hiking around the island for the day.

I would love to hear others experience from doing this. Can anyone give me some information on what to expect and good places to head for? Good views, spots to see any wildlife, and nice swimming spots would be good.

Perhaps even hiring bikes for the day might be a better option?

Thanks.

We did a bit of walking the second part of our day there after we dropped MIL back at the ship.

We basically walked along the road there, saw some wonderful Flora. We also came across the old prison which is very much in a bad state of repairs.

We walked about an hour and half there and the same back.

You can also just walk around the beaches, it is a very pictureque place just to walk. we enjoyed it.

you have to do it ..it was my favourite stop on my cruise to fiji..I spent a good couple of hours just wandering the roads and beaches .. I would love to take my mum there she would love it .. I have read somewhere that you can hire transport - bikes etc - at the wharf when you get of the tender..:)

For Bike Hire you could firstly asl Marie-Jeanne at the Information Office- she speaks good English

I know you could hire bikes from some of the resorts. Kodjeue Resort has mountain bikes ( 1500XPF full day )and electric bikes (2500XPF). It's located the furtherest from where the ship docks up north west on de Ouamero Bay

Nataiwatch Resort in Kanumera Bay is closer and has some mountain bilkes about same price

Kou-Bugny Hotel is between Kuto and Kanumera beaches and also use to hire bikes

Have fun whatever you decide

Di

I'd get a hire bike too. Lonely Planet does a good tour guide for Isle of Pines in their New Caledonia publication and you get maps. You local library should have one and you can photocopy the maps. There's a bakery a few kms from the hotel where you can perhaps get something to eat (no food allowed off the ship).

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day there.

Cheers,

Anna

Be careful where you wander!Last time some of the locals got very upset and started abusing us in French because we walked past their houses off the beaten track a bit.

Thats what I was thinking on this thread.

Go hiking by all means ,

but stick to the roads.

In the years since we have been visiting the Island,

have noticed fences going up,

as more and more people visit.

You would not like it if a bus pulled up outside your place

and folk walked all over your land.

Boundaries are not clearly marked in the Islands.

Thats what I was thinking on this thread.

Go hiking by all means ,

but stick to the roads.

In the years since we have been visiting the Island,

have noticed fences going up,

as more and more people visit.

You would not like it if a bus pulled up outside your place

and folk walked all over your land.

Boundaries are not clearly marked in the Islands.

Yep we soon found that out on a shortcut back to the road:eek:

Just as well my brother in law could speak French and apologize!

I think they were ready to get the weapons out lol

Yep we soon found that out on a shortcut back to the road:eek:

Just as well my brother in law could speak French and apologize! I think they were ready to get the weapons out lol

Another sad thing we found out,

as we wandered around the roads,

kids were standing

at the entrances to homes,

with their hands out,

saying

give me money..:eek:

Big White ship in the Bay= cash

:

That reminded me of the drama while in Rabaul last year. A group in a mini van (a private tour) was held up and ordered to pay a ransom to proceed along the road. I heard the driver was driving on tribal land. I believe the locals were carrying machetes...scary :eek:.

I really like the idea of packing a day bag and hiking around the island for the day.

Hmmm - not wishing to sound too pedantic - BUT there is a circular road that sort of goes half way round the island, but it is over 30 klms long for the full circle. I thought I have noticed in the past that the "natives" in New Caledonia are not as friendly as those in Vanuatu??? So be very sensitive about where you are heading.

We once headed for a small beach in Vila -, basically in the opposite direction from ship berth to town( most people head to town) . AS we got closer to the beach , I noticed that there were houses in the trees at the back of the beach - and I could also see dogs. We decided to go no further and sat on some rocks . Very soon we were spotted by some small children who came running over asking for money. Not good! It reminded me that our presence in Vanuatu can be a corrupting one, as well as the positive one that we all like to pat ourselves on the back for. Barry

Archived