Those who bring their own soda...

CruiserRacheal

Do you take your own soda to the MDR for dinner?

We plan on taking a 12 pack of soda with us, but I am not sure if it's appropriate to bring it to MDR for dinner or not. If you do take your soda to the MDR for dinner, do you pour it in a glass and carry it with you or do you just bring the can or bottle?

Sorry, this is probably a dumb question, but I have been wondering about this all day... lol...

Thanks in advance!

If you are gonna do that - pour it into a glass and take - I'm pretty casual but I'd think it poor taste to bring a couple of cans into the MDR.

We plan on taking a 12 pack of soda with us, but I am not sure if it's appropriate to bring it to MDR for dinner or not. If you do take your soda to the MDR for dinner, do you pour it in a glass and carry it with you or do you just bring the can or bottle?

Sorry, this is probably a dumb question, but I have been wondering about this all day... lol...

Thanks in advance!

I used to bring a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi on all cruises. I drank them in the cabin--a Diet Pepsi first thing every morning and occasionally one in the afternoon. I don't mind drinking tea and water with my meals. Having the canned drinks was just a convenient way to get a small shot of caffeine.

I would feel cheap cheap cheap if I brought a can of soda I brought onboard to avoid paying the cruiseline for it to the dining room.

We bring a can to consume on our own, but I would be embarrassed to bring it to the MDR, but Im sure you would be allowed.

No rule against it.

I would feel cheap cheap cheap if I brought a can of soda I brought onboard to avoid paying the cruiseline for it to the dining room.

We bring a can to consume on our own, but I would be embarrassed to bring it to the MDR, but Im sure you would be allowed.

No rule against it.

Well aren't you sensitive ,, LOL,, I wouldn't feel the least bit cheap,, since I drink something they do NOT supply on the ship. I love Diet Dr Pepper, in fact, I only drink diet pops at all, and am sick to death of most places only supplying the choice of one diet cola,, and rarely any other diet soda flavor.

Maybe a dumb question, but do they charge you for soda with your meal in the MDR? If they did, I never noticed it.

When did you cruise last? they have been charging for soda for a long time now and you have to sign the check when they bring it.

As for the OP's question, unless it is something that the cruise line does not stock then I think it would terribly tacky to bring it to the dining room or any other eating venue.

I drink Pepsi.

If I want it, I have to bring it.

Like Firefly333, I would not be comfortable bringing it to the main dining room.

In the MDR I either drink the free provided drinks, or pay for a beverage (usually an adult one).

Thanks in advance!

Just my opinion - inappropriate to bring to MDR.

I have brought sodas to pool to drink with a burger from the pool's burger joints.

When did you cruise last? they have been charging for soda for a long time now and you have to sign the check when they bring it.

As for the OP's question, unless it is something that the cruise line does not stock then I think it would terribly tacky to bring it to the dining room or any other eating venue.

Azamara just added free soda as a perk. Many of the upscale lines include it. Most if not all of the mass market lines charge extra and have done so for a while. Is it still free on Disney with dinner?

I bring drinks aboard that the cruise line doesn't carry and water-sometimes. Since I can't carry glass bottles on a plane any more I bring instant Snapple...which I add to water and yes I still bring it in to the MDR....you be amazed how many people ask where we got it and do they carry it aboard.

Okay, I admitted it might be a dumb question! :o I last cruised six months ago, but I probably didn't order any soda nor, apparently, did the kids, or not enough that I noticed the charge (s) on the bill.

Not just tacky, but presumably against the rules. If they sell soda, I can understand them forbidding you from bringing it into the venue. Movie theaters prohibit bringing in your own soda.

We bring our own sodas on board and consume them in the cabin only. I guess it would depend on the cruiseline if you could bring one into the MDR. On RCL, it is not against the rules. If I were to bring one in to dinner, I'm sure I would pour it in a glass first. Who is to know (and more to the point: who should care!) whether you had just purchased it from the cocktail bar or not.

Okay, I admitted it might be a dumb question! :o I last cruised six months ago, but I probably didn't order any soda nor, apparently, did the kids, or not enough that I noticed the charge (s) on the bill.

Not just tacky, but presumably against the rules. If they sell soda, I can understand them forbidding you from bringing it into the venue. Movie theaters prohibit bringing in your own soda.

Very true, but the cruise lines do not generally prohibit passengers from bringing soda onboard, so there's no comparison. As they sell soda all over the ship and not just in the restaurants, they would forbid passengers from bringing it onboard, period, if that was a problem for their bottom line. I've never seen it listed as against the rules for anyone to bring whatever beverage they choose to the dining room and anywhere else onboard. Now, I wouldn't bring it in a can, but that doesn't mean I might not pour it into a glass with some ice because, as others have writtten, the cruise lines do not sell/stock the few types of soda I drink. Sure, I could go without, but fortunately the cruise lines aren't inclined make me. However, I don't generally drink soda at meals, so it's a moot point for me.

beachchick

yep I violate that one too. DPS(diet peach snapple) in the pocket for three reasons..

1. They don't sell it.

2. I never trust the pimply 19 year old not to have attached the non-diet soda to the diet soda spout.

3. I refuse to pay $5.00 for .12 worth of soda.

I am aware that most theaters make most of their money at the food concession....

No rule against it.

How is it any cheaper to bring your soda to the MDR than to drink it "on your own" (I assume you mean in the cabin)? They have cans for sale in there, too...

Just my opinion - inappropriate to bring to MDR.

I have brought sodas to pool to drink with a burger from the pool's burger joints.

Similarly, how is it any more appropriate to bring your own soda to the pool than to the dining room?

Anywhere you drink your own soda, you're depriving the ship of revenue. Since they don't prohibit you from doing so, I have no problem with people bringing their own soda into the dining room, pool area, Solarium, bars, etc. Plenty of people will walk into the MDR with their cocktails or wine (purchased onboard or mixed in their cabins; no way to tell which), so I don't see how soda is any different.

I usually put my Diet Coke into a glass with ice before I go to the dining room, just because I don't like to carry cans around with me (or because I have brought on a 1L bottle).

Archived