Getting married on St Kitts

lcmc

My fiancee and I are planning a cruise on the Victory Aug. 8th-15th. We plan to get married on St Kitts when we port there. All arrangements can be made with a wedding planner. My question is: Is it risky since we have no control over whether Carnival changes the itinerary.

Like EM posted, it will be a risk missing the port during hurricane season. If you book with a planner, make sure you get in writing the cancellation/refund policy if this happens.

We got married in Barbados a few years ago (on a cruise) using a planner on the island and loved every minute of it. We got married outside of hurricane season in January though.

Here's a link to the Wedding/Honeymoon board here on CC. You might find a lot of good information there. If I can help at all, please let me know! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Someone on Destiny was supposed to get married, but due to engine trouble, they missed the port they planned to marry in.

if you are planning a wedding, a cruise port isnt probably a great idea, unless you can be very flexible. We boarded with a guy who was a preacher, said he could marry folks once onboard... lol

It's risky to get married in Florida in hurricane season too. The odds of you missing St. Kitts because of a hurricane are very slim. Have a back up plan for the wedding in case you miss the port. Or get married before you leave and then do a ceremony there. Either way when you get home you are married.

My fiancee and I are planning a cruise on the Victory Aug. 8th-15th. We plan to get married on St Kitts when we port there. All arrangements can be made with a wedding planner. My question is: Is it risky since we have no control over whether Carnival changes the itinerary.

Do you have "oops, I didn't see that concrete piling" insurance :confused:

It is always risky planning something with a cruise ship being your transportation rather than your destination.

Good luck with the wedding plans and congratulations.

Maybe I should have someone going with us get ordained online and they could marry us if we miss St Kitts.

It never hurts to have a plan B in place. The chances of you missing the port where you are planning to get married is slim BUT...

Having Plan B ready to go would make things easier to handle if you do miss St. Kitts.

A person can be authorized to perform a wedding ceremony but unless you have a valid marriage license, it isn't legal. You will need a license issued by St. Kitts, or Florida (or departure state and each state's rules vary) and then the officiant must file the license with the issueing authority.

You can be married religiuosly but it's the government that makes it legal.

It's risky to get married in Florida in hurricane season too. The odds of you missing St. Kitts because of a hurricane are very slim. Have a back up plan for the wedding in case you miss the port. Or get married before you leave and then do a ceremony there. Either way when you get home you are married.

There is still a significant risk involved. It doesn't neccesarily even have to be related to hurricanes. See Carnival Miracle & Carnival Destiny. Incidents happen.

OP, if it is a must to get married on St Kitts, I would suggest flying. If you are ok with the possibility of missing your port, then a cruise is an option.

Yes, it is risky. Hurricane season, tropical storm season, rough seas or winds....anything can prevent calling at a port.

You really should never plan any "high end" activity in any port unless you KNOW that your money will be refunded if the ship has to miss the port.

St. Kitts is one of the smaller islands where it isn't always possible to stop due to weather conditions.

Understand that if you plan for it and the ships doesn't stop, Carnival isn't responsible in anyway for any sort of credit or refunds or any other compensation.

A person can be authorized to perform a wedding ceremony but unless you have a valid marriage license, it isn't legal. You will need a license issued by St. Kitts, or Florida (or departure state and each state's rules vary) and then the officiant must file the license with the issueing authority.

You can be married religiuosly but it's the government that makes it legal.

OK......say the ship doesn't dock at St Kitts but we have someone ordained to perform marriages with us and get married on the ship. Do we get a license from the state we live in or where? How would we make that legal.?

OK......say the ship doesn't dock at St Kitts but we have someone ordained to perform marriages with us and get married on the ship. Do we get a license from the state we live in or where? How would we make that legal.?

Very interesting question. Usually the license has to be issued by the "locality" where the wedding is being preformed. You are going to have to have a license issued by the government of St. Kitts when you are married there. I still maintain that you shoudl have a civil ceremony before you leave home and then do the fancy one on St. Kitts or the ship. That takes all of the license issues out of it, and it takes the missing the port issue out of it,

Yes. It is risky.

I am not by virtue, a gambler...so there is no way in hell I'd do it.

Very interesting question. Usually the license has to be issued by the "locality" where the wedding is being preformed. You are going to have to have a license issued by the government of St. Kitts when you are married there. I still maintain that you shoudl have a civil ceremony before you leave home and then do the fancy one on St. Kitts or the ship. That takes all of the license issues out of it, and it takes the missing the port issue out of it,

The thing is we want to be married on a particular date.

The ceremony on the ship wouldn't be legal. The officiant has to be registered with the state the ceremony is performed in and the license would have to also be from that state - the offiiciant usually signs it afterward and send it back to the state to be recorded. Unless you have someone legal in Florida do it before you sail, you would have to do the ceremony at sea if you missed port and then go to the courthouse for a civil ceremony to make it legal when you got home.

When we got married we were sweating bullets. A good friend had just been ordained in the Methodist church and agreed to do our ceremony. But she had to file with Virginia to be legal to perform marriages here and the papers didn't come back from the state allowing her to perform weddings until about 2 days before our wedding! :eek:

The ceremony on the ship wouldn't be legal. The officiant has to be registered with the state the ceremony is performed in and the license would have to also be from that state - the offiiciant usually signs it afterward and send it back to the state to be recorded. Unless you have someone legal in Florida do it before you sail, you would have to do the ceremony at sea if you missed port and then go to the courthouse for a civil ceremony to make it legal when you got home.

When we got married we were sweating bullets. A good friend had just been ordained in the Methodist church and agreed to do our ceremony. But she had to file with Virginia to be legal to perform marriages here and the papers didn't come back from the state allowing her to perform weddings until about 2 days before our wedding! :eek:

FYI for the OP, Carnival doesn't do weddings at sea so this wouldn't be an option if you miss your port. Princess does though. This post made me think of that tidbit of info! :)

FYI for the OP, Carnival doesn't do weddings at sea so this wouldn't be an option if you miss your port. Princess does though. This post made me think of that tidbit of info! :)

Carnival wont' do the wedding but the OP mentioned somethign about getting a friend ordained to do it on the ship in case they missed port.

If I had my heart set on a specific date I don't think a cruise is the way to go unless you book it for the day the ship sails through Carnival.

Carnival wont' do the wedding but the OP mentioned somethign about getting a friend ordained to do it on the ship in case they missed port.

If I had my heart set on a specific date I don't think a cruise is the way to go unless you book it for the day the ship sails through Carnival.

I got ya ;), but just in case that crossed the OP's mind I thought I'd throw that out there too. :)

Like EM posted, it will be a risk missing the port during hurricane season. If you book with a planner, make sure you get in writing the cancellation/refund policy if this happens.

We got married in Barbados a few years ago (on a cruise) using a planner on the island and loved every minute of it. We got married outside of hurricane season in January though.

Here's a link to the Wedding/Honeymoon board here on CC. You might find a lot of good information there. If I can help at all, please let me know! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

I am planning to get married on the Carnival Victory in port of Barbados I have some question can you please help here is my email roseperalta930@yahoo.com

When we on the Holiday a few years ago on a New Year's cruise, there were propulsion problems and we never made our port. There were two weddings planned. Both wedding parties had family waiting for them at the port (Cozumel), but we never got there.

The groom told us that they were getting married on the ship. He was actually crying as he told us, as they were so upset about the situation.

I'd never thought about it before that incident, but if anyone were to ask me now about getting married on a ship or at a port, I can't help but think about the two weddings that were botched. I would want people to be aware that "stuff" can happen. But "stuff" can happen to a wedding planned at your local church.

For some reason, I think the captain of the ship married this couple. The groom must have mentioned it. So perhaps captains are able to marry couples.

If you go ahead with your plans, just be aware that anything could happen and be prepared to go with the flow.

Shay

When we on the Holiday a few years ago on a New Year's cruise, there were propulsion problems and we never made our port. There were two weddings planned. Both wedding parties had family waiting for them at the port (Cozumel), but we never got there.

The groom told us that they were getting married on the ship. He was actually crying as he told us, as they were so upset about the situation.

I'd never thought about it before that incident, but if anyone were to ask me now about getting married on a ship or at a port, I can't help but think about the two weddings that were botched. I would want people to be aware that "stuff" can happen. But "stuff" can happen to a wedding planned at your local church.

For some reason, I think the captain of the ship married this couple. The groom must have mentioned it. So perhaps captains are able to marry couples.

If you go ahead with your plans, just be aware that anything could happen and be prepared to go with the flow.

Shay

At least all our wedding guest will be on the ship.

Archived